Trick r Treat...Countdown to Halloween 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I will decorate!

I will buy candy!

I will wear my devil horns!

I will hope that all will be well!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I only had two trick or treaters last year - the two little boys from down the street. I think I'll make up a goody bag for each of them with candy and a little toy or book and drop it off with their mom.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'll share any ideas I can think of.

We always finish our trick-or-treating by coming home for warm baths and hot chocolate while we watch Nightmare Before Christmas. It seems like a fitting end to Halloween and a little wink at Christmas which we don't decorate for for another 12 days. I think I'll get some of those chips that are shaped to look like skeleton bones and a few other Halloween treats.

If we can't trick-or-treat this year I'm thinking of making up little bags of candy and hiding them in the backyard like an easter egg hunt. Or perhaps a scavenger hunt for the bigger ones. I may do it just before dusk and put a little glowstick in each one to make them easier to find. That's only if Halloween is cancelled so other kids don't hop the fence to get them! I want to think of other outdoor activities as it's the only night of the year the kids really get to be outside when it's dark.

I'm also thinking of doing a taffy pull where we make those mollasses kisses. I also thought of a popcorn ball station and a candy or caramel apple bar. I could dip the apples for them in the hot caramel, and they could then have a table of candies and add-ons to stick to the apples.

Dinner could be pizza because we always do that before trick or treating since it's quick and easy, but I saw a suggestion in a magazine years ago to make a cheesecake in a checkerboard pan layer. Since each layer just divides the circle into three rings, you dye the cheesecake for the first ring orange, yellow for the second, and leave the last white. Then when you cut your cheesecake, you end up with each triangular piece looking like a piece of candycorn!

I was thinking of some old games...bobbing for apples, but in the modern Covid way of everyone having their own bowl :) I also remember a Halloween party as a kid where they tied donuts to strings and hung them from the ceiling. You had to eat your donut first without letting any hit the floor. Some kind of fortune telling trick would be fun too.

I'll definitely do more decorating this year.

I was also thinking that after our traditional movie is over I might just have a lineup of "kid level scary" movies to run all night and let the kids camp out in the basement with flashlights. We could make smores and keep a thermos of spiced chai or cocoa. I want it to be special. They've always loved Halloween

Blue Snowflake

MHH Member
Jul 12, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
The things I love most about Halloween and fall:

1)Spiced pumpkin everything

2)Warm sweaters

3)Red, orange and yellow leaves

4)Cool days and colder evenings

5)Sitting out on the balcony with a mug of hot cocoa

6)Ghost, goblin and cobweb decorated houses

7)Jack o lanterns sitting on people's front steps

8)Hot homemade stew and soup

9)The first hints of winter in the air

10)The first hints of Christmas soon after Halloween

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
FS, some great ideas there on how to do a great Halloween for your little ones.
Blue, I love your list, it really screams Fall.

We don't do Halloween here but it is becoming more popular as the years go by. Last year we had maybe 4 or 5 groups of mainly teenagers come through. I have already decided to not participate this year. I don't want kids knocking on the door not knowing who they are or where they come from. I have bought already fun sized mars bars and snickers that will be put in the pumpkin on our dining room table for DH, DS and myself.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My older children were just talking about Halloween will probably look different this year for our youngest. Since it falls on a Saturday this year, they are talking about ways to make it fun. If possible, they will come home that weekend and see about doing some games outside. I just thought it was sweet that they would even consider it.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
The things I love most about Halloween and fall:

1)Spiced pumpkin everything

2)Warm sweaters

3)Red, orange and yellow leaves

4)Cool days and colder evenings

5)Sitting out on the balcony with a mug of hot cocoa

6)Ghost, goblin and cobweb decorated houses

7)Jack o lanterns sitting on people's front steps

8)Hot homemade stew and soup

9)The first hints of winter in the air

10)The first hints of Christmas soon after Halloween
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 8, 9, 10 x YES!!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
93 days i will decorate no matter what and will do something for my grandson .

Reactions: rabble

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
I'll share any ideas I can think of.

We always finish our trick-or-treating by coming home for warm baths and hot chocolate while we watch Nightmare Before Christmas. It seems like a fitting end to Halloween and a little wink at Christmas which we don't decorate for for another 12 days. I think I'll get some of those chips that are shaped to look like skeleton bones and a few other Halloween treats.

If we can't trick-or-treat this year I'm thinking of making up little bags of candy and hiding them in the backyard like an easter egg hunt. Or perhaps a scavenger hunt for the bigger ones. I may do it just before dusk and put a little glowstick in each one to make them easier to find. That's only if Halloween is cancelled so other kids don't hop the fence to get them! I want to think of other outdoor activities as it's the only night of the year the kids really get to be outside when it's dark.

I'm also thinking of doing a taffy pull where we make those mollasses kisses. I also thought of a popcorn ball station and a candy or caramel apple bar. I could dip the apples for them in the hot caramel, and they could then have a table of candies and add-ons to stick to the apples.

Dinner could be pizza because we always do that before trick or treating since it's quick and easy, but I saw a suggestion in a magazine years ago to make a cheesecake in a checkerboard pan layer. Since each layer just divides the circle into three rings, you dye the cheesecake for the first ring orange, yellow for the second, and leave the last white. Then when you cut your cheesecake, you end up with each triangular piece looking like a piece of candycorn!

I was thinking of some old games...bobbing for apples, but in the modern Covid way of everyone having their own bowl :) I also remember a Halloween party as a kid where they tied donuts to strings and hung them from the ceiling. You had to eat your donut first without letting any hit the floor. Some kind of fortune telling trick would be fun too.

I'll definitely do more decorating this year.

I was also thinking that after our traditional movie is over I might just have a lineup of "kid level scary" movies to run all night and let the kids camp out in the basement with flashlights. We could make smores and keep a thermos of spiced chai or cocoa. I want it to be special. They've always loved Halloween

I love the idea of an Easter Egg type hunt for Halloween! Thanks for the idea!

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
My wedding anniversary is on Halloween!

We usually spend the day by ourselves and go Christmas shopping a little further afield. Last year we didn't, and instead we took our (then newly adopted) mutt for a long walk around a local wood.

Halloween has picked up somewhat in the UK over the last ten years or so, but nowhere close to American levels! I love watching the US decorate with me videos. It's so inspiring - i wish we had that culture/attitude over here!

My kids aren't trick or treaters, but I do love the ideas above regarding treat bags/Covid style party games etc.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
$40 for 1 pound at Williams-Sonoma but I'm thinking we could make it ourselves for a lot cheaper. I'm sure I've seen those candy eyeballs in the Wilton section at Michaels.

Attachments

• Halloween Bark.jpg
    Halloween Bark.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
we didnt have a theme for halloween this year.at work. im doing my bathroom for halloween later today. it may be early but i wanted it done for fun and before ill helping my gson with school online.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
we didnt have a theme for halloween this year.at work. im doing my bathroom for halloween later today. it may be early but i wanted it done for fun and before ill helping my gson with school online.
I've seen lots of youtube videos on decorating for halloween this year. It seems a lot of people are getting into seasonal celebrations early this year

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Pamela, I love that candy. That would be great for me to make and send to my granddaughters. Since this will be the 1st holidays they are no longer living here I need to try and keep that connection. Their mom is horrible at traditions, so I'm thinking of skipping christmas jammies and sending the girls Halloween pajamas. Then they can wear them whenever and their mom doesn't have to remember them on Christmas morning. That candy would be perfect to make as well!

Reactions: PamelaG

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
woohoo September is here! Does anyone else feel an (imagined or not) slightly crisper temperature?

I'm not-so patiently waiting for the Halloween sweeties to hit the shelves. We already have mince pies out, so any day soon I expect to see Cadburys' Scream Eggs