Trick r Treat...Countdown to Halloween 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I am thinking Halloween may be cancelled here, though our suburban mayor, who has been very proactive in efforts to return to normal, may want to keep the celebration and tradition. I would agree with his approach if there was a way to restrict it by neighborhood or community. There have been some "issues" recently at our shopping mall involving non-residents, and I think security is more of an issue this year. If all other communities cancel it, will the celebration shift to our community? Will we experience more of what the mall has been seeing? It's amazing how my thoughts are shifting away from Covid to the riots, fights, and shootings. Too much chaos in the country. Hoping some autumn decor and pumpkin scents from candles, baking, and beverages will soothe my soul.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I am thinking Halloween may be cancelled here, though our suburban mayor, who has been very proactive in efforts to return to normal, may want to keep the celebration and tradition. I would agree with his approach if there was a way to restrict it by neighborhood or community. There have been some "issues" recently at our shopping mall involving non-residents, and I think security is more of an issue this year. If all other communities cancel it, will the celebration shift to our community? Will we experience more of what the mall has been seeing? It's amazing how my thoughts are shifting away from Covid to the riots, fights, and shootings. Too much chaos in the country. Hoping some autumn decor and pumpkin scents from candles, baking, and beverages will soothe my soul.
America does sound like a crazy place to live at the moment.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
woohoo September is here! Does anyone else feel an (imagined or not) slightly crisper temperature?

I'm not-so patiently waiting for the Halloween sweeties to hit the shelves. We already have mince pies out, so any day soon I expect to see Cadburys' Scream Eggs
Mince Pies before Scream Eggs, that's funny!

• Haha
Reactions: rabble

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
cant wait to see halloween candy. only one ive seen is the reeses pumpkin ones. they are so good

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Last year trick or treating was a bust. Not only did the city change the day but it snowed! The usual is the Sunday before the 31st. Last year they changed it to Saturday before Halloween. We are in an unincorporated area and the address we have dictates one day and time but we are a donut hole between another city so we never know when to be available. Very confusing for sure.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
woohoo September is here! Does anyone else feel an (imagined or not) slightly crisper temperature?

I'm not-so patiently waiting for the Halloween sweeties to hit the shelves. We already have mince pies out, so any day soon I expect to see Cadburys' Scream Eggs

It's 87 degrees (30 Celsius) here and humid. I think we have another few weeks until things will seem like fall in this neck of the woods.

I did notice that our grocery shelves put on the Halloween Candy a couple of weeks ago. I'm seeing more and more Halloween inspired cake mixes and icings. Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle are also putting out Halloween inspired items.

Reactions: rabble

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
It's 87 degrees (30 Celsius) here and humid. I think we have another few weeks until things will seem like fall in this neck of the woods.

I did notice that our grocery shelves put on the Halloween Candy a couple of weeks ago. I'm seeing more and more Halloween inspired cake mixes and icings. Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle are also putting out Halloween inspired items.
Same weather here. Canadian weather network is saying that a distance typhoon next week will bring a early taste of fall to Canada.
halloween candy is showing up here as well but they are marketing it as a school lunch treat.

Georgia

MHH Member
Sep 4, 2020
Georgia
We live in a rural area with no TOTs, so all of my decorating is for us and the few people who drive by.

Last year I had Halloween decorations up in late August. Too soon?:p
I decorated my front porch and the dogs tore it to shreds 2 days before Halloween. Won't make that mistake this year. Inside I decorated using a Sleepy Hollow theme, made a front desk check-in scene for the Sleepy Hollow Bed & Breakfast. Also decorated the coffee bar and bedroom.

This year I grew corn, pumpkins, and gourds for decorating.
I'm up in the air about a theme. Loved the Sleepy Hollow theme so much last year that I want to put it up this year but then again I had my Halloween heart set on a Witch's Apothecary. I mean, really, there's no reason I couldn't do both... Hmmm...

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I haven't visited this thread since it first started! What great ideas FS and everyone else!

We have people in our neighborhood that decorated for Halloween the beginning of August. On our walk last night we noticed that more had joined the decorating. We came home and told DH that we were now officially behind since it is into September but he wouldn't budge. I don't think i'm getting my totes anytime soon. My fall items (what little I have) is in with the Halloween. Boo! I'm going to start wearing my t-shirts though. Yay!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We never get TOTs at our house, because of all the fall festivals and a big downtown trick or treat event at the parish seat. I wonder if it will be different this year...people going back to taking there children to neighborhood houses if the festivals and events don't occur? Food for thought.

I stopped decorating for Halloween and went straight to fall decorations due to the lack of TOTs.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Our provincial government said yesterday that they had no intentions of putting any kind of restrictions on Halloween because it should be able to be done safely and there would be safety guidelines issued later. I'm surprised. I thought it would be a no go. In a way I wish it was cancelled so if our numbers are up I don't have to be the bad guy who tells the kids it's happening but they're just not going.

Georgia

MHH Member
Sep 4, 2020
Georgia
Got my Fancy Flours Fall/Halloween catalog in the mail yesterday!
Their covers are deliciously festive and, as always, overflowing with all sorts of seasonal magic!

Last edited:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Will be ordering a catalog, too!

Reactions: Georgia

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I ordered a catalog too. My shopping is almost finished for this year but I’m seeing some ideas for next year. And things for me that I just don’t need lol.