Turkey Day 6 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, it's only 5 months away (or 4 for some of you). What are your plans this year? time to do some thinking about this Holiday.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I'm really trying to find a good recipe for homemade stuffing. I don't stuff the turkey, and anytime I've tried to replicate my mom's sausage stuffing, it just isn't good. Maybe I really should try it in the bird one time.

I usually end up making Stovetop turkey stuffing mix for Thanksgiving. Everything else I make is homemade and delicious, so not being able to make good stuffing is a huge defeat, lol. Or is it dressing since it's not "stuffed" in the bird, lol.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Thanksgiving has never been a big holiday for our family. When I was growing up, we were always stationed so far away from any family that it didn't seem to be a big deal. We weren't turkey eaters either so that played a part as well. As I grew older and before our parents moved to England, my sister and I would go to Mum's for dinner on Thanksgiving Day, but it wasn't much different that going over there for spaghetti on Saturday night or any other meal.

As I got older, we did a variety of things. We spent several years with my sister's boyfriend's family. Thanksgiving was a huge production for them with the grown-up kids traveling home with their kids and everyone sitting down to a huge turkey and all the fixings. Sometimes I thought it would be nice to have had this tradition, but other times I could take it or leave it.

Now that I'm even older, we have a tradition of our own - there's just the three of us so we have a small turkey - usually a boneless turkey breast that I roast and serve with rice and mashed potatoes (rice for Vic and Sophia, mashed potatoes for me!), gravy, corn, green bean casserole and cranberry jelly. We watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and play parade bingo (you can find the bingo sheets free online and it's a lot of fun). Vic runs out to get the newspaper with all the ads so we can see if there is anything that we just can't live without on sale on Black Friday. As soon as the turkey platter hits the dishwasher, out come the Christmas decorations and it's time to prepare for the holiday that is really celebrated in this house.

Well, it's time for a new tradition. This year, Sophia will be away at college on the West Coast. She'll be living with my sister and her family and they entertain quite a bit (my BIL is an amazing cook) and so no doubt, their house will be full of friends for Thanksgiving. Since we're (almost positive we are) heading to the West Coast next summer, we won't be making a trip out there this holiday season so we have decided to look for a bed and breakfast inn in central Virginia (near the Charlottesville area) and have Thanksgiving there, just the two of us. We hope to make it a long weekend and explore some of the Presidential homes that we haven't visited yet. Fingers crossed that it all works out as last year, Vic was traveling home from East Africa on the day before Thanksgiving so we don't know yet if he'll be making a return trip this year.

And that, friends, is Thanksgiving in this household!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Turkey Stuffing Recipe

I make the recipe my Aunt made all her life. Everyone really like it and it's easy. Has just the right amount of spices.

10 slices bread, crumbled or cut into cubes
4 to 5 sticks of celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg

1 lb. Jimmy Dean's Original Sausage, fried and drained

Add chopped veggies to sausage and saute until the veggies are slightly tender. Let sit off the heat a few minutes to cool down. Then add the egg and stir very fast. Add this mixture to the bread crumbs and mix well.

Enough stuffing for a 10 pound turkey.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
That is basically my mom's sausage stuffing. But she used chicken broth instead of egg. I will have to try it with the egg!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Let me know what you think. I'm sure this was a recipe out of an old Good Housekeeping or another magazine from the 50s.