Turkey Day August 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Ok, it's time to gear up for Thanksgiving. It is only 2 (canada) or 3 months (usa) away. I am going to help one of the LCs start a Thanksgiving Notebook since she will be hosting this year.

What are you going to be doing for Thanksgiving this year?

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
My notebook and recipes are in good shape for Thanksgiving this year. I am up in the air about who will be at dinner, with DD's new relationship she might be elsewhere, which is fine. DS might be at his GF's house, but he always likes to eat here too. No matter, I will have pretty much the same menu, though I might cut back if it's just the two of us.

I do have a few recipes I would like to try, like Diedra's stuffing but I'll try that after the summer is over.

I have my fall/harvest/Thanksgiving decor all organized in its own tote, ready to go.

I will be able to devote more time to Thanksgiving after my Sister vacation in October.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I enjoy the tradition of doing the same thing each year.

I take off the day before Thanksgiving to prep and bake the pies. Go to the store one last time early in the morning and get any last minute things, and some fresh flowers.

Thanksgiving morning I get up early, and put the parade on as soon as it starts. I usually arrange the flowers I got the day before into centerpieces. I peel potatoes, usually DS helps. The rest of the day is spent cooking and watching holiday movies. I like to have the table set and all the serving dishes ready to go before the day.

I put the turkey in the oven around noon, and it is ready around 3 pm. We end up eating about 4 pm. Dessert comes much later, usually around 8 at night.

I love the next day, lots of Christmas movies, turkey and green olive sandwiches for breakfast. DS and I will usually hit the Target around 6 am just to get into the spirit a little. And get our holiday Starbucks. I sure will miss him when he goes off on his own! I'm very lucky to have a son who likes to hang out with his old mom once in a while. We have lots of fun together. DD has been away so much living her own life (she's 4 years older), but she's been around more the past year and that has been nice.

I usually put up the Christmas tree and decorate on Saturday. Then we are in full Christmas mode!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the next day, lots of Christmas movies, turkey and green olive sandwiches for breakfast.
I will have to try green olives on a turkey sandwich!! Something new to me.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Clicked too soon.

I will be having Thanksgiving at my house this year. It will be me and the boyfriend, my parents, my brother, his wife and their kids and grand kids. I can't believe my little brother (1 year younger than me) is a granddad. He can't believe it either. LOL

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Aggy, you will have to post your menu! I love seeing all the food you prepare.

My sister who is only 11 months older than me has 2 grandkids already, lol. Fun to have the little ones around I'm sure!

Diedra, I used to turn up my nose at my DH's sandwiches which he put cranberries on the turkey, lol. But I did try it last year and liked it. I always have leftover crescent rolls that I slice, put on a piece of turkey, and then add some sliced green olives. No mayo or anything. I like a side of green bean casserole and candied sweet potatoes too. That is my traditional black Friday breakfast lol!

Lucie-What do you do for your Thanksgiving in October? It will be here soon!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Robin, for us it's just a day off... nothing much. we have a local festival and my parents come down with friends. we eat over there mostly and listen to some local music groups. It's a 3-day weekend.

Januarymama

Retire Member
Sep 16, 2013
Davison, MI
Not sure what I will be doing quite yet. This is my 3rd thanksgiving with my boyfriend and the 2nd that we will have spent together. Last year there was no time to eat at his family's house or even stop by. But we ate at my parents and my grandmas so I guess 3 meals would have been to much. Not this year! I'm sure I will gladly eat 3 meals. I will be 7 months pregnant by that time! And now that we are expecting I am sure his family will want us to join even more! Been looking forward to the fall for ages. So nice it is finally here :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Congratulations on the upcoming baby!!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Out of curiosity what is it like for thanksgiving in Canada? Is it not much different from ours here in the US?

Thanksgiving in Canada is all about the food :) Most I would say do the 'traditional' turkey dinner.

Since 1957 we celebrate "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed... to be observed on the second Monday in October."

A family celebration (no pilgrims etc...)

The first Thanksgiving was acutally in Canada, 1578 - a celebration of safe passage by Martin Frobisher arriving in what is now Newfoundland.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I agree Tam, it's all about food and family (and in that order at my house, lol).