Turkey Day Belated Sept 2022 —Helpful Hints

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Saw this on FB To prevent the outside crust from burning. Would work really well for store bought pies. Not sure they would fit on glass pans. Will have to try it out. Please Post your helpful hint.4A7B235A-95AE-4617-82CA-C5593FE6B829.jpeg

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Would work really well for store bought pies.
I just take a strip of foil and crumple it around the edges of the crust, once they've browned to my liking. But this would work, too. Thanks for the tip!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Other Hints

Pare down the menu to only top favorites and have other guests bring something

Make as much ahead of time as possible.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
That’s a neat idea! I usually use foil on mine. But I do have a couple of “covers” my mom had. They are made out of pie tin material and are just a rim that fits over rim of the pie tins. Maybe from the 50’s or 60’s.

I use “cake bands” on my cake pans. They are a quilted band that you soak in cold water and wrap around the cake pan. It helps the cake bake more evenly so you don’t end up with a hump in the middle.

I make all my pie crusts ahead of time and freeze in the pans. When I was making a lot I used disposable pans. The top crusts I’d roll up using wax paper and freeze in a zip lock bag. I make most of my pie fillings ahead and freeze. Pumpkin pie, I mix the dry ingredients ahead. Mostly on pie baking day I’m dumping fillings into crusts and baking.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
If you prefer your cranberry sauce made from the berries (vs. the commercially canned berries or jelly), you can cook it ahead and water bath it in jars weeks in advance. Or, you can make it several days before the holiday, jar it, and stick it in the refrig until Thanksgiving. I've cooked and canned it post-Thanksgiving, when I got cranberries on clearance, and have had it months later.