Twelve Month Shelf

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I have a long shelf in the kitchen that runs almost the full length of the kitchen. It is up high about a foot from the ceiling. I have decided to make it a Twelve Month shelf...which means I will put one or two decor items up for each month. They will stay up all year (except maybe at Christmas...then I might do something else...but not sure...it will depend). I know I will put a snowman up for Jan...just have to find one....in the boxes....a Valentine item up for Feb. and a St. Patricks Day item up for March....I already have two bunnies up for April and a pot of yellow silk daffodils for May....Ummm the two months I am having trouble thinking of are

June and August....any suggestions for items to represent those months????

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Here in Quebec our national birthday is in June.and Canada day is in July.. However, maybe you can put something "summery".. seashells, a boat, etc...

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
What a fun idea!

Let's see...for June you could go with ladybugs or butterflies. Maybe sunflowers. How about a camping lantern, jar for fireflies and the makings for S'Mores.

My Bday is in August & it is always HOT. Watermelon or maybe a beach look would be great...shells, a candleholder with sand & a favorite beach pic (just put in pic then pour sand behind it to hold in place). Not sure how "funky" you want to go....maybe a tropical look or flip flops.

Have fun finding the perfect items!

Bren

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
June maybe like birdhouses or gardening items since the season is under way.

August hmmm..... all I can think of is HOT and back to school.

Love the ideal tho of the 12 month shelf.

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
How about a flag for flag day in June and a bell like teachers used on their desks for August, back to school.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I was going to suggest Flag Day too for June. August is most associated with back to school, maybe an apple on some old fashioned books?

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
Whats about a lighthouse, seashells, a fishing net, a little deck chair, glass with sand or a sanddollar.
Here are frogs and imps very popular too.

Like the idea, but no place to get this done. Only think about a letter case. Perhaps I will find one with twelve boxes. It will be a miniature edition. ::eek:rnament:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
This is funny I was just trying to figure out what Holidays to put in my different Season notebooks and was debating where to put back to school- growing up it always started after labor day and to me August screams summer not Back to School so was not sure but here schools start Aug 19 and I see people think Aug for back to school and that is where I will put it-

June for me is Graduations- but for many that is May-
August- Vacationing- beach

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Love this idea! I did a variation for my Daughters christmas presents. I gave them 12 vouchers for themed days out for each month of the year attatched to helium balloons which were sitting above their christmas presents.
January - DD3 birthday (chinese new year sometimes!)
February - valentines day / leap year
March - St patricks day / mothers day
April - Usually Easter
May - May day / cinco de mayo
June - Fathers day
July - My birthday
August - DD8 birthday
September - Starting school (scraping the barrel on this one!)
October- Halloween
November - bonfire night
December - Christmas

This means my kids get a christmas present every month and we all share a family day out. Love the idea of the shelf, next year I am going to do a theme for each month on my kitchen shelf