UFO Challenge

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Hi everyone! :welcome:

I was wonder how many of you are interesed in a friendly challnge to rid your craft areas of all those pesky UFOs (UnFinished Object), WIPs (Work In Progress), & PIGS (project In Grocery Sack) (& those of you who are card carrying members of the BRG <Broken Record Gang>). I am starting it in January after all the festivities of Christmas have calmed down and will end it in September.

HAGD
Tina

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Debbi- We will be finishing as much as we can. :grin: I did this challenge at Organized Christmas & some projects I either nixed or eliminated all together for various reasons. Here is what my final update looked like:
FINAL UPDATE!!
Window curtains for front door
{x}plain -1/17/07 about 1 hour
{x} Halloween- 1/16/07
{x} Christmas -1/16/07 2 hours just on these 2 curtains because of thread & sewing machine problems (my only working machine is a 1942(?) singer) but they're done!!
***Cross stitches -- Nixed until after Christmas gifts are done!-- July 24, 2007
{ } Wolf Robe cross stitch (found this on 1/15 in a box)
{ } Meant to be Together cross stitch (found on 2/14)
{/} Wolf cross stitch (found on 2/14) 11 hours so far (07/24/07)
***clothes***
{x} winter hat for DS(6 months)(crocheted of course)1/22/07 about 4 hrs
***Blankets
{x} DS9 denim quilt (9/30 19 hrs)
{ } DD17 quilt blue or green or red (as of 9/15/2007)<being worked on as a Christmas gift now>
{x} Christmas lapghan(I forgot about my Christmas yarn, )2/20/07 9 hrs
****I nixed the mittens (the pattern I have is WAYYYYYY off on the stitches & sizes) until I design my own and I eliminated the afghan for DD15 (until she decides she wants one again).
total hours- 46 & counting!! (+4 "wasted" on mittens. Can I count the wasted time on the mittens??? I am since I did make them.)
I have 50 total hours.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I added on as I went until the end of February..... I stopped looking for projects until I finished these (now I'm on the hunt again!! I have a kit for cross stitch stockings for tree ornaments somewhere :huh: )
HAGD
Tina

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
WOW~We are going to count PIGS for 2008? I have lare drawers, small drawers, bins, storage closets . . . FULL of PIGS! I really need to FINISH some things I've already STARTED and set aside for one reason or another (the true UFOs - usually just loss of interest and not having a deadline for needing it). I work well under pressure. Need a due date!

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Just drawers DJ?
I have an antique wardrobe (about 6 foot high) with 4 large drawers & an average "closet" stuffed full (Plus whatever I may find in the attic, living room closet, bedroom closet, hiding in the back of my mini van) :eek:

Everyone- start looking for your projects, making your lists & put everything in 1 (yes one) area for the challenge. You can include WTBS (Waiting To Be Started) projects too.

HAGD
Tina

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Debbie- Don't worry! :eek: The rules are simple & I'll post everything in January. Right now all you need to do is gather & list your projects that are lurking around & any that you don't finish in time for Christmas (Haunnakah, Kwanza, Ramadan, any other celebrations I'm forgetting).

Jackfrosty- If you need more room go ahead! If anyone complains blame me, I'll take the heat. (LOL) ;) :cool:

HAGD
Tina

:pink:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Heehee! Between the desk all Christmasafied and PIGS and UFO's all about, poor DH will have me commited!
I'm setting a goal of getting one project a week put in it's place-this week it's my Thanksgiving/scarecrow wreath-'cause that's obviously not getting done for this year! :pilgrim:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
supermom315 said:
Just drawers DJ?

HAGD
Tina
Not really "just drawers". That was actually a bit of an understatement. I started building up my stash when I made the decision to retire, thinking it would cut the craft budget down when the income wasn't there. Not sure it worked! :ghost:

DJ

Princess_Christmas

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
:hat: Sounds like a great plan, I will be hosting the "projects for specific holidays" craft challenge so having a seperate UFO one will be a nice addition :bigsnow:

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
:applause: We will officially begin on January 9th..... :applause:
I need the time to decompress from Christmas, New Years & all the December birthdays (2 of which are my kids) :thud:

:smile: I will start a new thread when it's time so be ready with your lists. Also, keep a small notebook or page in your OH/OC Binders to keep track of the list & time spent on it. I actually have a crafting /gardening journal to keep me "organized" and it's nice to look back & see what I've accomplished!! (besides, I almost lost the list when my dinosaur of a computer decided to try to crash :bang: :argh: )
HAGD
Tina

snowflake

MHH Member
Oct 31, 2007
:globe: I am IN on this one! I will begin to list the UFOs and PIGs today, so I can make use of them next year. I'm just like someone who posted above, I just need a deadline and a reason to finish, then my interest stays focused. Great idea! :tree:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Thanks to DJ's great challenge last year, I don't have any UFO's anymore. But I do have two very large projects coming up for next year so I guess that they could be WIP's. :friendly:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks KimD, I was whining that I never finished my UFO's from last year's Challenge. You made me realize I didn't complete them but I do have them all listed and organized! So this year it will be easy to work on them.

Paint a Suitcase: not sure why I hang on to this

DD's baby quilt, started it when I was pregnant with her, she's 37 now. lol Will need to frame it.

Fishing Boat: Need to frame some photos of my grandparents and uncle who loved fishing to make a display for my scrap studio.

Baby sweater: Just need to put the pieces together

DS's Plaster Horse Head: need to frame it for him, school project he did in school, he's 32

Figure out how to display my plaster hand print from 1956

6 Christmas Ornaments: need to paint them

3 Clear star ornament: found a craft for DD to do with them

8 brown paper ornaments; need to glue on feathers

3 pillows, have the fabric to make them

9 shadow box projects: all are baby items, baby shoes, first outfits, silverware, brush and combs. I did record a show on how to do shadow boxes from "Whole Picture" this year. So I know how to do it now.

2 sets of curtain to make; Yep, I have two room that still have lovely newsprint curtains, lol

Window garden: have an old window I want to put dried flowers behind backed with old metal ceiling tin

Postcard Display, have lots of old postcards that were my grandparents, need to figure out a way to display them

Added this year:
Have my dad's metals from his career in the army. Need to do these into a display case.

I'll have to build a gallery in my bedroom to display all these items. Have the boards painted. Need to drill them into the wall.

Still have several ongoing scrapbooking projects. Probably will always have scrapbooking projects.

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I started my list (the 3 cross stitches form last challenge top the list) & as I was writing down my projects I decided to focus on ME ME ME!!!! Everything on my list (so far) is something I want, need, would like. I know there'll be things for others on it eventually but for right now I'm listing things for me.

HAGD
Tina