Vacation time

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

leslie03

Retire Member
Jul 14, 2008
Augusta, GA
I'm not sure if this should go in here, but I figured it was about planning..so it could be ok.

I work full time and my son goes to an in-home daycare. She takes vacation 2 times during the year. Her next vacation is the week of Christmas. I was careless and didn't put in my time off request and now I can't take that week off. :slap: So, my question to all of you is, should I take the week before off or the week after. I have one free week from her and it would offset the cost of me having to put him in daycare for 3 days. I see good reasons for each one - before, I can *try* to finish anything that needs to be completed, clean, etc. The week after, I could pack up, clean, etc. Next year (probably in January) I'm turning in my notice early! :grin: What would you do?

Leslie

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I would take the time off after - so I could stay home and play with all their new toys :haha:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Leslie,

I too vote for after. You both need to relax after the holidays. It will give the two of you time to enjoy each other. Plan something each day even if it is staying in pjs all day and drinking hot cocoa while watching Christmas movies. Drive around looking at the lights one night. Just easy things that will not be stressful. Toss a sheet over the table and eat lunch underneath. Write some thank you notes together. Try to stay on the same get up and go to sleep schedule you are on when you work so it won't be so hard going back to work.

As soon as you get back the work, hand in your requested days off for 2009. No need to wait if your work will take the request.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I use to take the week between Christmas and New Year. Can put new items away. Spend time at home and SHOP the after sales!!!!! The bank I am at now you can't take a December vacation. :( The other bank you could.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We have 2 weeks vacation for Christmas.... some years we are on vacation near christmas and we don't have much time before but it sure is fun to relax after. Other years, like this year, we get off a bit before but I find it's much too quick to get back to work after and we don't have time to relax.

I vote for after!

ciderjo

Retire Member
Sep 1, 2008
I would take the week after. Gives the kids and you time to recover. I also would consider downsizing the Christmas celebrations and all that go with it just so you aren't overwhelmed when it comes time for that joyous occasion, because if you are overwhelmed how will it ever be joyous?
This will give you time to relax and get started on the new year. I agree, definitely get your plans in early for next year! First come, first serve!!
Hope you get things figured out!

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
After, definitely after...enjoy the kids enjoying their presents...and gear the familyand yourself up for a clean start for the new year!

Berta

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I gotta go with the after too...so much more relaxing, and nice to just piddle around, and it still feels Christmasy...and lovely to look forward too..I am taking that week off this year myself, a first, and I have to say, I don't care how busy Dec will get because I know I will be off the week after, and it just makes it all seem so much more fun... :grin:

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I agree I would also do the week after.

:frosty:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm probably no help :grin: but I think you need to look at your needs. Do you need the week before so you can finish last minute things, do some baking with your child, visit neighbors and deliver gifts, attend holiday celebrations in your town? Or, do you need the downtime after everything Christmas? There will probably not be many more years that your child will not be in school the week before Christmas so maybe this is a special time that you can have now that later will not be available. Let us know what you decide!