valentines day 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
No we don't decorate for Valentines and now that both kids in the middle and high school, no more school parties no more buying the box valentines cards.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I made a ruffled felt heart wreath earlier this month and have that hung on the mirror over our bed. I happened to find a set of pink sheets on clearance a couple of weeks ago and those look really nice with the wreath up - DH wasn't a fan at first but he says he "got used to it" :)

I bought a cheap glittered heart wreath I hung on our side door and made some simple small felt hearts I put in the greenery and white lights I still have above our china cabinet. But that is it!

I'd like to slowly add more and more hand made decor pieces for each of the "little" holidays each year!

I need to buy paper Valentines for DS's class still. And I'm going to make these for his class treat to hand out:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734187051626/

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Yes! I am decorated for Valentine's Day. It's my second favorite holiday. :) I have a wreath on the door, hearts in all the front of the house windows, a mantle display and the hutch is done up for the holiday too....heart plates and red bowls, along with some garland and other little things.

I haven't bought cards yet. I have reward dollars to use at Hallmark. I just need to go and pick them out. I'm going to make something for my students....haven't decided what yet. I will make my own kiddos baskets with candy and such. J will get a card and some chocolates. It's Ash Wednesday for Catholics on the 14th, so we will probably have fish fry for dinner....I'm not a seafood fan, so it is a real struggle for me. Usually, we have heart shaped pizzas with heart pepperonis and molten chocolate cakes for dessert. We may do that while H is home for the weekend.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I keep up the Christmas wreaths until the beginning of February. I have to take them down tomorrow and put up the heart wreath on our front door. I have a small table as soon as you enter the house that I decorate seasonally. I have to get some of those things out. Then I'll put a few things in the kitchen.

Reactions: teachermomof2

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I will be decorating the house tomorrow or perhaps tonight. But more than likely it will be tomorrow. I just took down all the Snowmen. I decorate with snowmen for the month of January. I don't have as much for Valentine's Day but hopefully will be adding to that.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I do not decorate the house for Valentines, and since DD is a Sophomore in high school, no boxed cards. I will get DD a candy heart. She loves the ones that are mixed chocolates, but have a "map" in the box of what they are. Always fun to see what goes first, I can pretty much count on any orange crème ones to be left behind. I also make DH his favorite dinner...Shrimp Parmesan with penne pasta and sautéed garlic green beans. I will make black bottom cupcakes for desert.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
That dinner sounds so yummy Kelly

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have decorated my year round wreath for Valentines and also DH and my anniversary on the 22nd.
I have added a heart sag in the entry hall.
Need to dip oreos and give those to the kids and my family. We do a simple Valentines here.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I made a ruffled felt heart wreath earlier this month and have that hung on the mirror over our bed.
Now that sounds a little kinky! ROFL!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DJ, so funny. The wreath does sound nice though.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
JoAnn's has their Valentine's decor, etc. at 70% now...was there on lunch for other supplies and ended up getting 3 more heart wreaths. Two of them are covered in rosettes made of thin wooden spirals - whole thing dyed a beautiful deep red. They will look great on the French doors in our living room! They were $30 normal price - got them for $8.99! Couldn't pass it up!

Then I grabbed a really large red heart tinsel type wreath for $3 that I'll put on the front door. :)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
No decorations here. It's just not something we have ever done. I did get Luke a new pool float- a giant pineapple. Pool floats are currently very popular here. I also will get him some chocolate and a card.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We don't decorate either, but I usually get the kids a little something and will get DH some candy and such too.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I ordered two boxes of Sees Chocolates for me from Dh. lol

Reactions: GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I think I donated all my decorations when we moved. We bought chocolates & cards for the dgkids. I bought a large container of mixed nuts for DH, and I'll make a card that says "After 46 years I'm still nuts about you!" (saw it on Pinterest)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have done very simple decorating for February. Put hearts on the year round wreath and a little sign that says love. It will stay up all month as our anniversary is the 22nd.
Have dipped oreos in white chocolate and sprinkled with pink sugar, will bag those up with heart shaped chocolates for the kids, DH and the folk at DDs work.
Very simple as Valentines day is not one that we in Australia typically celebrate.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I bought my cards on Thursday, then picked up some chocolates and candy for the kids yesterday. I put M's in a basket with some little things....notepads, socks, hair ties and H's in a gift bag. I'll go to the chocolate shoppe and pick up some chocolates for J after work tomorrow. Then we'll be all set!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Went back to JoAnn's today for some embroidery floss and got several other things - funny how that happens! I took another look at their Valentines clearance and got a few packs of pencils and a bag of erasers that I'll use for his classroom treat bags. Also got the clear, narrow food bags from the cake aisle. I have some Starbursts at home - all red flavors - that I'll use too.

While I was at it I got a pack of red and white stripe or polka dot painted clothespins - I think they will work great for Christmas wrapping or crafts!