Valentine's Day Decor

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Valentine's Day is coming quickly...have you decorated yet?

I haven't. I'll do it next weekend. I plan to do the mantle, and the hall table. Of course, I'll hang hearts in the windows above the welcome lights and add decor to the doors.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I don't usually do much decorating for Valentine's Day. We may cut out some hearts or something and hang them in the windows but not much more than that.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Now that we are empty nesters I only decorate the top of a short bookcase in the upstairs hallway. It is located in a high traffic, easy to see spot so meets our needs well. Currently that spot has a snowman scene with a plastic canvas set of letters in blue and white spelling SNOW.

At the end of January the snowman scene gives way to Valentine's day as I flip the blocks over revealing the word LOVE in white on a red background. Two small blocks with little hearts sit at the ends. Behind them I place a portrait of my husband and me. These sit on a piece of fabric that has pink hearts on a white background.

It is simple to decorate yet my husband appreciates it very much.

Charlotte

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Charlotte, that's neat how the blocks flip over for the next holiday! Pretty nifty!
I don't do much decorating for Valentine's Day. I guess I should work on that.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks for the compliment, Jane. That was fun to create. I like to make decorations that are dual purpose.

For Christmas I have a set of 14 plastic canvas blocks that spell MERRY CHRISTMAS on one side and HAPPY NEW YEAR on the other.

I have made two lap quilts that are backed in a Christmas pattern that are equally easy to change from normal decor to the holiday based on how they are folded. Such dual uses makes storage non-existent as the items are used regularly. That's a real benefit!

Charlotte

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Charlotte that is great! Yep, dual purpose is the way to go.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Charlotte, the blocks and quilts both sound beautiful and easy.

Lisa, I too love decorating my mantle. You'll have to post a few pics.

DH is planning a huge Valentines Day fine dining event at the restaurant so all of my decorations, resources and energy has been focused there. I have 48 hours to take down all of the Mardi Gras decorations and put up an extravagant Valentines Day setting for this special day. I'm working on two very large heart shaped wreaths and lots of garland for the entrances as well as yards of tulle and twinkling lights for the ceiling at the moment.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Ellen, thanks for the compliments on how my items sound. Yes, reversing items is an easy part of decorating. It sounds like you have another big decorating opportunity for the restaurant. Enjoy!

Lucie, do you have some dual purposing for decorating to share? You might have some more tips for us and spur our thoughts. It really saves time and space.

Jesse, have fun with your kids making valentines to display.

Lisa, thanks for opening this discussion for us to share our plans. I have no mantle to decorate but have seen some lovely displays.

Charlotte

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I picked up a couple cute things at Dollar Tree today. They had some heart garland that was so cute.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Char~your shelf sounds perfect!

I'm looking for a vinyl tablecloth for vday and am have no luck. I want to do something in that dreary teacher's lounge too.

Michelle~I will stop at Dollar Tree on Saturday and check their stuff out. TFS

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I haven't really decorated for the holidays like I use to since the kids got older. Besides Christmas!

Charlotte, good to see you posting. Your shelf sounds nice and I also like the dual purpose!

Dealz had several cute Valentines Day items when mom and I ran in Saturday.

I do have my Valentine Banner up outside and Goosey on the porch is in her Valentines dress.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I'm looking for a vinyl tablecloth for vday and am have no luck.

Lisa - I just bought one for my kitchen table at Target ($4.99) it has a white background and different colored hearts. I had a hard time finding one, too...usually I see tons of them.

We haven't really decorated yet...we change out the candles on the mantle and diningroom table to red. I have a "conversation hearts" runner for the dining table and a red metal heart to hang on the fireplace. Other than that, I just switch out our rugs and towels in the kitchen and hang a heart wreath on the front door.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
other than some kitchen towels (need to find them) I don't have any Valentines day stuff. That would require me to get my snowmen down by then. I really should but with ahouse full of guys they don't really care. I would like to find a few things. I don't really like my mantle it never looks quit right.

Everyone has some nice ideas.

Char_I don't have any thing that can be reversed but i like the idea.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Lisa - I just bought one for my kitchen table at Target ($4.99) it has a white background and different colored hearts. I had a hard time finding one, too...usually I see tons of them.

Thanks for the tip Colleen! I'll have to check out Target when I'm traveling to hockey this weekend.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Shannon, take a look at your decorative sofa pillows if you have them. I discovered after years of frustration trying to store a Christmas motif pillow that it could be reversed rather than stored. The back side is a solid burgandy that complements the gold upholstery of the chair it sits on. The way it sits the holiday side is never seen the rest of the year.

Charlotte

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We don't decorate for v day, although this year I would like to try a few simple things such as a garland. Will see if I get the time

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
In the late 1980s, Hallmark came out with some beautiful Victorian reproduction Valentines. I bought several, and used them to decorate the mantel. I have apparently lost them in a move! Wish they would produce them again. For a centerpiece, I used a small tree branch stuck in floral foam in a silver bowl. I covered the foam with moss, and cut out hearts from burgundy and pink moire fabrics. I made a little bow and loop for each one from opposite-colored ribbons, and hung them on the tree. Hopefully I'll find them when I finally get my sewing room hosed out and organized.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Rose~that sounds beautiful! I have no idea what to do for my centerpiece....well, all my plans have gone wrong, so I simply have a lantern with red ribbon on it and a candle inside surrounded by red, pink and white sparkly scatters. Your centerpiece sounds much nicer!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
no i still have snowmen up. will put up alittle the first of feb.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I think I'm going to pull out my white CIJ tree and decorate it for Valentines and St. Patricks Day. It's a smaller tree, so I can sit it on something behind a chair and it won't needs "extra" space. I've been setting aside red heart ornaments for awhile now and my Irish Ornament collection has definitely gotten big enough to fill a small tree. So that's the plan.