Village Displays

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
For those of you with village pieces (Department 56, Michael's, etc.), how do you display them? I've got some Halloween houses that I got but don't really have anything else to "jazz" it up. Do you buy all the little figurines to go with them and display them all together or are they scattered throughout the house?

Just trying to figure out what to do with mine!

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
I love to see them in a village scene display instead of scattered. How cute would it be to center your Halloween village around a lighted pumpkin? Maybe even carve windows and doors on the jack o'lantern like a lighted house. A branch from your yard in a vase could show as a tree and hang a paper moon in it!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I love putting out my Christmas village. I have 5 pieces so far. I have the little trees and various people to go with it. I usually put it all together and use a big piece of cotton batting to make it look like snow. I have been looking around the upstairs trying to figure out where I am going to put it and I might have to separate it. That might look good too. I can always set it up all together downstairs, but I won't get to see it as much.

What is a girl to do?

Melanie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have a Halloween village too (dollarstore). I usually display it all together with little figurines throughout as though it were a real village. I put orange and purple lights throughout.

There is a picture way down on my blog.

thegirls

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
We have both Christmas and Halloween villages. We display what we can in an armoire, overflow in a couple different "scenes" throughout the house. For Halloween, we found a rug at Menards that looks like hay and is just perfect to use. I think you can put them together or make little "scenes" around here and there, depending on your space. We have lots of people, cars, etc....make the village seem more "alive."

laikengrace

Retire Member
May 28, 2008
Hi, I don't have a Halloween village, wish I did, but I have a christmas village that I put on top of my t.v. cabint. I put white snow underneath it but I also started putting clear lights underneath the snow, it is gorgeous. it looks like the snow is glowing, I then sprinkle some irridecent, glitter and it just sparkles. You could also do this with your halloween village. You could buy some fabric that you can see thru at Wal-Mart, maybe black or purple, then you could put purple or orange lights underneath it. This might give a nice eerie effect.....just some thoughts..enjoy your village. Tammy

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
I have a fall village that originally came from Walmart. I bought it off of Craigslist. I display it on the top of my cedar chest at the foot of my bed. It is fall based and not Halloweeney.

I also have several Christmas ones that I spread out around the house. All of these were picked up at thrift stores, GW, etc. I just keep the size and scale of mine in mind as I buy pieces. I have one grouping that goes on my mantle above the fireplace. Those are not large and I do add some people and cars, etc.

I also have another village grouping that goes on the sofa table. On this one in the past I have set it up like two streets with houses and buildings running down each side of the table. Down the center of the table is a long bridge and some people, trees and lights.

Another is made up of the bigger buildings and goes on top of our large entertainment cabinet. Again, I do have many trees, people, skaters, etc.

My final grouping is one that is comprised of the shiny ceramic houses that are all part of a Santa's village. Or at least that is what I call it. They are painted in the brighter glossy paint that is fired into the ceramic. I place this one across the back of my corner garden tub in the master bath. It doesn't have any people. But, I do have a white ceramic Santa that sits on the front side of the tub along with a matching in style and color one piece nativity scene.

I love my villages and would love to have a Halloween one, too.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I like to display my Christmas village (Dollar store) in my glass curio. However I got rid of the curio earlier this year. I'm hoping to display them on my new sidebar (once the furniture is purchased) in the diningroom.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I don't have a halloween village either but have also thought about making one with pumpkins. Here are some that I had found

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/halloween/pumpkin-decorating/haunted-pumpkin-on-boo-avenue/

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/...051|/HallmarkSite/Ideas/IDEAS_FANTASY_PUMPKIN scroll to the very last picture

and http://www.marthastewart.com/article/haunted-halloween-village?autonomy_kw=halloween village

I had thought of doing something similar to what scarlett mentioned with a branch for a tree, painting it black and hanging bats or ghosts, etc. on it. I'd also like to find a small lighted ghost or ghost tea light holder to put with it.

For Christmas, I want to get a white Christmas tree for my family room and put a village under the tree on top of the white lighted tree skirt I just bought. Then I plan to hang small little snowflakes from the bottom branches, hanging above the village.

Last edited: