Wanting book recommendations please....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Hi All,
I am hoping to create myself a little book corner in my bedroom as I have been given a big leather armchair by my mother in law and a small side table. My window overlooks the welsh mountains and I can sit in the sunshine on a nice day and watch the ponies play.....so Im hoping to use it as a space I can relax and recouperate and unwind and get lost in a book.

My only problem is I have such a busy head that I cant actually get an idea on what to read......I dont mind autobiographies, the last book I read was a cowboy story, I haven't read the 50 shades series.... I did try reading the Kite Runner but ended up crying midway through it and it put me off a bit - I am determined to finish the book though.....

So does anyone have any favourites that they would recommend?

I have been given a copy of 'to kill a mockingbird' which I never read in school (my class did Animal Farm etc and Shakespeare) and I have a slight obsession with the musical 'Hamilton' at the minute and hoping to read the autobiography that inspired Lin Manuel Miranda to write it as well.

Current recommendations
Jane Eyre (FrostyShimmer)
Pride And Predjudice (Frosty Shimmer)

Last edited:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Are you a fan of the classics? Both Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre are favourites of mine. I just picked up a copy of Gone With the Wind.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Try looking through the "What are you Reading?" (I think that's the title of the the thread) thread in Book Nook. Some of us update what we've been reading this year in that thread so there are many book recommendations there.

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
I will add them to my list - in fact first I will make a list in the first post - I intend to work my way through them slowly but I am an avid reader and once I start it doesn't take me long to finish a book.

Thank you Frosty

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Thanks MrsSoup - I will have a look too

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I like books by Susan Wiggs, Debbie Macomber and Sheryl Woods for light reading. I liked the trilogy that Vickie McKeehan wrote starting with book one"The Evil Secrets" . Nicholas Sparks is good, but I found that they all had the same basic story line and I always end up crying at the end. I read The Twilight Series one summer years ago and found it to be entertaining. The Divergent Series are great books too.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
The Mitford series by Jan Karon. I don't have all of them, but I have read them twice. If you are a Christian, anything by Max Lucado. To Kill a Mockingbird is a wonderful book. I also ordered the other book, Go set the Watchman (or something like that). Not as good as Mockingbird, but good none the less. I loved the Anne of Green Gables books. There are about 8, maybe less, maybe more. I love to read, and just like to get immersed in a book so that I can't put it down. Hope we have given you some good suggestions!

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
I'd recommend anything by Vikas Swarup, Bukowski, and I really, really, liked Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell.

I also read a tonne of manga!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I devoured both of Ken Follett's epic novel series.
The Century Trilogy and The Kingsbridge Trilogy

I also enjoyed the Children of the Earth books by Jean M. Auel.

Happy reading. Your book corner sounds delightful!

Last edited:
Reactions: luludou

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DD we have the same taste in books! Children of the Earth are my favorite and I love the Ken Follett epic novel series.

I also like books by Robin Cook - a different genre. The twilight series I liked and HPotter series