Week 2 Houseworks Holiday Plan, Sept. 7th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
Hope no one mind that I got the weeks thread started.

I hope everyone did well the first week. Remember if you didn't get everything done it's OK, there is plenty of time left.

Week 2 of the Houseworks Holiday Plan, Sept. 7th - 13th.

This Week's Focus: Calendars and Creative Spaces

Reading Assignments for the Week:
Housekeeping Skill Set: Organize - pages 37-48
Declutter Crafts and Hobbies - page 220

Link to this weeks page. With all the info and printables.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Last week went very well for me. I am hoping for the same this week!!

:skate: Melanie

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Last week went pretty well for me also but....
I knew my paper clutter would take more than (1) week to subdue. I will be working on that this week too.

(X) Sort thru and organize scrapbook paper and stickers

( ) Work out gift lists a little better

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
I' m having the hardest time keeping my dates straight lately! I keep thinking that today is the 14th, which would NOT be great right now! Things went pretty well last week, but I have a few loose ends to tie up..., and I have a question for all of you: How long do you keep your notes from "Christmases Past"? I'm wondering why I would need gift info from 2002, as all the kids are now teenagers! I will keep the debrief notes--those are helpful--but the rest???

() Start working on typing up various recipes from 50 yo cookbook that has seen its day--Christmas gift for Mom
() Set up mini HHP in portable planner
() Start master gift list

This week DD will help me work on organizing our craft room, which needs serious attention!
() Take all items off bookshelves--sort and purge (why did I keep the Disney Planner inserts for 2004, anyway??)
() Sort thru what remains and devise storage
() Hang BB, peg board and maybe White Board on studs--will have to check with hubby on this one
() Inventory all gift wrap; set up purchase list
() Have DD finalize Christmas Card design...the preview is very cute...we'll set up an assembly area to get these done a little at a time
() CC supplies needed: White cardstock, iridescent glitter, Elmer's glue, sharpies, colored pencils, Mailing Envelopes

It will be a busy week with school, cheerleading, private tutoring and all, but I'm going to try to schcedule as much of these things as possible during the week! Have a great week everyone!

Berta

snowball

Retire Member
Aug 3, 2008
Michigan
Last week went well with cleaning the appliances in the kitchen. What a job, but it'll be much better the next time it gets done.

This week:
()read pgs 37-48
()read pg 220
()Declutter and clean creative spaces
()assess stored craft materials and make a list of what's needed
HOLIDAY planning:
()start tear files
()start a Master gift list

goldenqueenalicia

Retire Member
Jul 16, 2008
last week did not go great for me (I just get busy and am not home enough biggest challage is no actual schedule I kinda wing it all week even on the weekends (just my job i handle alot of customer relations and things just pop up) I did get my desk cleaned, that was a chore in and of itself, I still need to work on the personal filing (business filing is squared away))

I'm glad this week is creative spaces, was planning on working on my scrapbooking room but will also work on my art/sewing studio, the studio room is also the room that I wrap the presents in.

will also finalize all my lists
and continue christmas shopping :package:

hugs to all
alicia :skate:

SpanishRanch

MHH Member
Sep 3, 2008
SF Bay Area, California
For Week 2, I have three main goals:
1) Declutter my "creative space": There are several rolls of shelf liner sitting in my "creative space". So I will be lining my kitchen shelves to use them up. This will comprise the main part of my declutter.

2) Plan holiday travel: Looks like we'll be home for Thanksgiving and traveling for Christmas. Opposite from our usual routine. So I will be researching (and perhaps purchasing) airline tickets this week.

3) Begin a "gifts to make" list: I have never made holiday gifts before. I have never been very crafty. But this year I think I might like to try a few simple ones. I've selected a craft idea for for a little "bonus gift" for my niece. (Her main gift will be cash, the favorite gift of our young-adult nieces and nephews). But I haven't come up with a craft idea for "bonus gifts" for the young men who will be receiving cash. Most of the time we give them a box of See's candy along with their holiday card, but every now and then I like to do something different so it's not *completely* boring!

If there is enough time, I will also attempt to tackle the other tasks listed for Week 2. They should be faster and easier than the three listed above.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Week 2: Calendars & Creative Spaces

This is a work in progress. I have two "creative spaces". One is a tiny tiny desk in the corner of the living room. That is where the Christmas Notebook lives. When I sit down to work, I shove the couch over so there is room to pull out the chair and sit , It is a pleasant room with lots of windows. It is not bad to work on the calendar there - and that work has already begun.

The other "creative space" is where the decorations, gifts, wrapping papers, etc. is stored -- in the small office/guest room. This jumbled area is where most of the work must be done this week.

I hope you have some fun doing your projects this week! :package:

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
My list this week:
() Declutter and craft cabinets - dreading this - if you don't hear from me by the end of the week, send in a rescue party...

() Assess stored craft materials - should be in good shape here, as I stocked up at the back-to-school sales last month. May need some specialized stuff from Michael's, but will buy these items piece by piece as they go on sale.

(x) Create a seasonal calendar.

() Plan holiday travel - not applicable (whew).

() Hold a scheduling session.

(x) Start tear files.

() Start and use a shopping list - can do for the adults on the list, but the kids' lists will change too much, so need to wait on them.

(x) Inventory unfinished projects - already have the Michael's list of stuff needed to finish.

() Begin a "Gifts to Make" list - one of my favorite jobs this week!

Last week went fairly well, so I have only a few unfinished filing tasks to catch up on. Looking forward to hearing how everyone's week goes.

:grin:

SpanishRanch

MHH Member
Sep 3, 2008
SF Bay Area, California
Travel plans:
There is a good chance my family will celebrate Christmas in Texas. This is at the request of my eldest daughter, who is a grad student in Austin. She will be working during the holidays, thus not coming home to California. Since one of this week's HHP goals is to put together our holiday travel plans, I'm going to take a chance and ask if anyone here may have suggestions for fun things to do (or places to stay) in Texas during the holidays. Doesn't need to be in Austin per se; we may be able to fit in a day or two of sightseeing while we're out there. But suggestions for Austin or nearby would be most helpful. Thanks!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I found a plastic bin of old embroidery floss and junk in my closet and after cleaning it out and washing it...I wondered what I would use it for now. Well....
yesterday I got tired of the plastic bags of satin ribbon reels falling on the floor and so I filled the bin. They are now presented in a way so I can grab the bin and see exactly what colors I have and what colors I still need to buy for Christmas crafting.
It feels great to be (somewhat) organized!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well this week I will try to finish DS' room (wash ceilings, walls, bureau, change bedding for winter one, and MAYBE tackle his closet.

ciderjo

Retire Member
Sep 1, 2008
Have been busy this week. Monday I worked on some of my craft areas, but still have a few to go. Seems they are spread out all over this house! Also, my printer is not functioning properly, so I have to wait for dh to come home tonight so he can fix it.
So I'm hoping to work on my embroidery basket today and my "inspiration" drawer in the kitchen, they are both messes and I just bought some new embroidery thread as well as yarn for a blanket I"m making for my sister in law. So getting this all in order is at the top of my list now. If I have time I will be back later with a better list. :thud:

ciderjo

Retire Member
Sep 1, 2008
Got the embroidery and crochet area in order, also drawer in kitchen. I've got a cold so things are slowing down a bit around here. I don't think I have anywhere else to work, so I will just work on my Christmas Planner today.

goldenqueenalicia

Retire Member
Jul 16, 2008
I have family in Texas plus my dd is in school there as well and we love the Alamo and the Mexican Mart (alamo is very interesting sightseeing and mexican mart is great cheap shopping) plus my sister is close to Houston and we love the galfison area (nice agarium and peir with shopping) plus theres always Sea World San antonio (where alamo is) and a 6 flags amusement park

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Update:
(x) Start working on typing up various recipes from 50 yo cookbook that has seen its day--Christmas gift for Mom
() Set up mini HHP in portable planner
(x) Start master gift list

This week DD will help me work on organizing our craft room, which needs serious attention!
(x) Take all items off bookshelves--sort and purge (why did I keep the Disney Planner inserts for 2004, anyway??)
(x) Sort thru what remains and devise storage
() Hang BB, peg board and maybe White Board on studs--will have to check with hubby on this one
(x) Inventory all gift wrap; set up purchase list
(x) Have DD finalize Christmas Card design...the preview is very cute...we'll set up an assembly area to get these done a little at a time
(x) CC supplies needed: White cardstock, iridescent glitter, Elmer's glue, sharpies, colored pencils, Mailing Envelopes

Still a few loose ends to finish up...but we're working on it!!

Berta