Week 4: Close To Home Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Yeah, that just kind of struck me that we are at week four. Where did that time go?

We've had a lot of transitions in September. I've been focusing more on finishing the Holiday Prep tasks versus the Household tasks this month. I'm feeling good about the Holiday things getting done. I'm giving myself some breathing space with the Household Checklist. If I really feel like I'm behind on the Household things, I'll call in the family to help in a few weeks.

Household Checklist

• We don’t have a guest room or guests staying over so I’ll play catch up. This is great. I really needed this!

Holiday Prep Checklist

• Inventory holiday decorations. - The basement stores our holiday decorations. I'm going to arrange the fall Halloween and Thanksgiving boxes closer to each other. They get moved around every time there is water in the basement. It's always hard to find them.

• Declutter before you decorate for autumn. - I’m going to go through the fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving decor boxes looking for things that I haven’t used in a few years to either toss it or pass it on.

• Decorate for autumn.

• Work on Christmas cards. I placed a Christmas card order last week. I should get them this week. In the mean time, I will start addressing the cards that I had left over from last year. This has been the one area that I procrastinated on for the last two years. This year, I'm challenging myself to stick with writing out cards each week.
Still to Do
  • File papers.
  • Vacuum/dust bedroom.
  • Organize books.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im switching this week for next. A couple of reasons- doing my room and wardrobe spaces was a big task. Im finished now! And super happy with it. I need a more relaxed week so I don't become over the whole process.
Also Luke is on school holidays next week so its easier to do his space when he is around. His room is tidy and clean but Im pretty sure he has lots of things to donate/ clear out.
So this week I will be working on our spare room. Its already very organised and clean so it should not be an issue. We are not expecting guests anyway- but you never know! Luke will have the odd sleep over with his friends but they always choose to sleep in his room- he has lots of space and its more fun!
This also lets me focus on more Christmas prep- which is a bit easier when Luke is at school. He is off for 2.5 weeks after this and has developed a 6th sense of knowing when Im going through lists/ gifts of things I don't want him to see. I have done some wrapping but I would like to try to get more done this week.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My list for the week:

Household Checklist:
finish renos - complete K's room - done

touch up paint entire house - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
stocking stuffer ideas - done

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I guess it is appropriate that this week is Kids' Room week as we are working in the addition and my daughter should be out of the dining room and into her own room by the weekend!!! This is huge, people!!:D

Instead of doing the touch up paint room by room every week, I am going to do the rest of the house all at once on Tuesday.

I want to come up with some new stocking stuffer ideas for K. The last few years, it seems like I have done the same things, so I would like to come up with some new goodies to surprise her.

I have all of my card making supplies ready and am looking forward to getting started on my Christmas cards!
:)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Congratulations Mel on K's new room. It has been fantastic watching/ reading your progress on this whole house!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Well I don't have a kids room so I will try to finish up my bedroom. The weatherman keeps telling us a cold front is coming but it is humid as heck outside. It was to rain over the weekend, but not one drop fell. Of course it's raining today.:rolleyes: I curled my hair last night and lets just say, it was a waste of time. :mad: Okay, I'm done pouting. lol

Household Prep
- I hope to get my bedroom painted this week. That's the only chore not completed.

Holiday Prep
X I put up my fall decorations this weekend. Just need to finish my tree and I think I will be done.
- I need to gather more stocking stuffers for my little cousins. Glad this week is pay week. :)
- As far as Christmas cards go, noone has any out yet. I swear this is the first time in a long time that I am not seeing any Christmas...anywhere. :(

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Congratulations Mel on K's new room. It has been fantastic watching/ reading your progress on this whole house!

Thanks!

I can't believe it is all finally happening. You can't imagine how happy K is!
;)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Tanya - I like how you are making this plan work for you.

Mel - That's great news on the bedroom. It sounds like your daughter is thrilled too.

Good grief! I just realized after reading about the kids bedrooms that I'm off by a week. LOL! I don't know how I did that. I guess I was so eager to get to the autumn decorating. At this point, I'm combining the two weeks for this week and next week since I already started on next week.

Household Checklist
  • We don’t have a guest room or guests staying over so I’ll play catch up. This is great. I really needed this!
  • Declutter, clean and organize children's rooms. - I let my girls do this since they are old enough. I will ask them to go through things in their room this week.

Holiday Prep Checklist

• Inventory holiday decorations. - The basement stores our holiday decorations. I'm going to arrange the fall Halloween and Thanksgiving boxes closer to each other. They get moved around every time there is water in the basement. It's always hard to find them. Done
  • Declutter before you decorate for autumn. - I’m going to go through the fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving decor boxes looking for things that I haven’t used in a few years to either toss it or pass it on. Done.
  • Decorate for autumn. Started this today.
  • Work on Christmas cards. I placed a Christmas card order last week. I should get them this week. In the mean time, I will start addressing the cards that I had left over from last year. This has been the one area that I procrastinated on for the last two years. This year, I'm challenging myself to stick with writing out cards each week.
  • Seasonal Spruce-Up exercise.
  • Declutter children's toys. I just went through the toys from my youngest last month.
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers.
  • Consult the kids and decide on Halloween costumes.
  • Think ahead to family Advent celebrations. - Done
  • Start working on Christmas cards or letters.
  • Take note of birthdays and anniversaries.
Still to Do
  • File papers. Done!!!!
  • Vacuum/dust bedroom. Done
  • Organize books. Done

Last edited:

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I too have to modify the plan. I am traveling for work a little over 2 weeks (Leave tomorrow and return on Oct 8th) and will be out of state. Not too many household tasks that I can complete from my hotel room. I do not want to ask DH or DD to take on any additional tasks as they will probably be overwhelmed holding down the fort as is. Instead I plan to concentrate on shopping (thank you Amazon!) and crossing off some gifts from the list. When I return I will certainly have catching up to do!!

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I've been out of town this past week for work, and will be out of town this and part of next week for vacation. I'm thinking not much will get done until the end of next week. :(

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Touch up paint is done. Bathrooms will get done later as there is more work that needs to be done in those rooms.

I managed to get very little paint on myself, which is saying a lot.
;)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Late in posting this week. Have workmen all over the place going to town on staining the siding and decking. So exciting to see it come together -- really needed it. Took forever to nail the wood stain color but now we have it and it looks great! It will make such a difference that I have to try extra hard to remember I have other stuff to do too. That fireplace crack is becoming a real problem with a family of mice trying to move in.

Household Checklist
  • Kids's Rooms -- All in good order -- except for DD needs to declutter her wardrobe.
  • Reality check -- Decide what I am seriously going to try to finish for the house?
Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Stocking Stuffers -- Get started. (Think it will be camping items.
  • September Clearance Sales -- Hit them. (Get wrapping supplies too)
  • Decide on Halloween costumes.
  • Start Christmas Cards -- Part 1. Plan to be done Nov 15.
  • Fall Decor out -- Not until Fireplace is fixed. (Prob 2 weeks out)

Still to Do
  • Computer restore. -- Underway.... this will take a while. Audio files are this week.
  • Fireplace repaired. -- Can't find anyone to come out this far. Looks like a DIY.
  • Office papers -- Almost done.
  • Wrapping Paper and Supply check -- Where is that box?
  • Dust Rafters - and Sills -- Almost DONE.
  • Master Bedroom Decor --- Still want a new look. Will take time. Right now on Art.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Aggy - How's the painting?

Kelly and Laurie - We're here to cheer you on when you're able to get back at this.

Mel - Congrats on staying semi-paint free. I totally understand that.

Cindylouwho - We're battling mice too. Sigh...

On my drive to my new job, I go by Wal-Mart, Aldi, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Trader Joes, and 5 Below. This will be helpful in streamlining my shopping days. I was able to pick up some stocking stuffers. Some items are seasonal and aren't in stock yet.

I finished up the bedroom from last week. I also started the Seasonal Spruce up list. So much to do, so little time. I'll have to prioritize it.

My Christmas card order came in so I will start on that today. I also want to finish decorating for fall today.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Tonight I am going to tackle the master bedroom and finish the master closet. Saturday morning we are moving stuff from the garage to the shed since now that we have space in the shed. Then we will bring down the fall/halloween/Thanksgiving decorations from the attic over the garage. I want to take inventory of what we have, get rid of anything broken and make a list of stuff we need to get. The goal is to be all decorated for fall and Halloween before Oct 1st.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am behind for this week as everything came to a stand still as we worked on my daughter's bedroom.

Not going to panic. I will catch up!