Week 4: Close to Home

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Thanks for starting this. I cleand DS2/3 room the other day and got rid of a few things. Need to get in there and pitch some more again. i found a box of stuff in the attic that I had taken away for not cleaning and they never missed them. Think it will go staight to the yard sale pile.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Busy week for me in the kids rooms.

DS went through his room and got rid of some stuff.

DD did the same thing, but all she really did was move things around. I am on to her, so I have been slowly going through things while she is at school. So far she hasn't noticed what is missing.

DS has decided on his Halloween costume, DD is not quite sure.

There a few things on the Seasonal Spruce-up that I would like to see get done, but DH isn't exactly on board.

Stocking stuffers - need to make a list.

Christmas cards - I need to get started on these. This is the one area where I fall behind every year.

Hope you are all having a good week.

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm underway on the kids rooms. DD is switching rooms so I'll be painting it this week. DS will be too and his is pretty much done. Now for their big decluttering!

Also ready to buckle down on the Christmas cards. That's a real struggle for me!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Piratemama-
Funny story for ya

A friend of mine had 2 teenage boys. She was tired of having to pick up after them.

So, she took all their stuff they had laying around and boxed it up.

At Christmas time, she emptied the box and wrapped the items and put them under the tree.

Christmas morning her boys opened those "gifts" with exclamations like:

"MY NIKE RUNNING SHOES!"

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
The boys' rooms are a challenge for me. My older DS(5) really needs a closet overhaul...I know, sounds like a big project, but the top shelf is bowed so much that you can't fit hangers on the bar underneath! I'd like to put a bookshelf in there too to hold bins of small toys (like Legos and stuff). He also has the linen closet in his room which is stuffed with sheets, guest towels, tablecloths, etc. I really need to relocate that stuff, but there is no other "natural" spot.

My younger DS(1)'s room just needs his summer clothes switched out for fall (but it's 90 degrees out today, so I've been holding off). The only toys in his room are wooden trains and they pretty much stay on the table.

I did the Seasonal Spruce Up exercize...I love that 80-20 rule! It was so much fun to cross things off the list "arbitrarily"! Thanks, CEO!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Annie- LOVE its!! I am going to have to keep that in my back pocket LOL

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
AnnieClaus -- That's hilarious! I may have to tuck that one in my back pocket as well!

Colleen in PA -- Re the Seasonal Spruce Up/ 80-20 Principle....that really got me thinking too. I've done it before but it always seems new. This year I have SO much in the way of house projects on my list. Thing is I do not have February and Spring to get things done. Fall is pretty much my biggest downtime all year. I'm so cranking right now to finish off EVERYTHING! I've resolved though that if it doesn't happen by Thanksgiving I'm going to let it all go and I will hibernate for the winter with my husband and kids in our unfinished home, with a cup of hot cocoa, playing Lego Star Wars on the Wii! ;-)

(Someone remind me of this if I'm freaking out at Thanksgiving.) :)

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Well, I didn't get a chance to check in last week, but I did get a few things accomplished. We upgraded DD (3yo) to a big girl bed this week! She is now in an official twin size bed with awesome pink sheets and such. We did some of the cleaning while doing it, but still need to touch up a few more things in there.

I didn't get to my Christmas cards last week, but I did find some at Sams that I like. Unfortunately they are the only ones selling Christmas cards right now. I'd just like to check all of my options before committing, but I need to get started!

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Well this plan has definately not gone the way I had hoped. I have just had some days when I feel miserable but I am getting a little done just not where I hoped to be. I did accomplish one huge task this weekend and that was my younger daughter's closet. This used to be my closet and ended up being where everything was thrown when people were coming over. It had not been cleaned in who knows how long. I discovered this weekend that it does indeed have a floor. I have bagged up several trash bags of stuff for the thrift store and hope to get that stuff out this week. Hoping to get back on track. My main problem is my house is in such sad shape whenever I really start cleaning I stir up alot of dust and then I have days like today when I can't breath and I feel all around crummy. It will get better. Now if I can only come up with a way to turn into a consistent housekeeper so I can keep it clean once I get it that way.