WEEK 7: Guest Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Having company this holiday season? It’s time to prepare the guest rooms so you are ready for expected (and unexpected) guests.
Again, we are cleaning everything: light fixtures, window treatments, windows, baseboards,floors, beds (wash/replace linens and pillows, flip or rotate mattresses). Don’t forget dresser drawers and closets (do you have plenty of nice hangers?) Do you have a supply of “extras” for your guests,such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, etc?

Continue to work on:
Holiday baking
Freezer meals
Food donations
Gift shopping
Gift wrapping and preparing to ship gifts
Work on any homemade gifts
Work on homemade Christmas cards, ordering cards or shopping for cards.

Other things:
Halloween costumes and candy
No guest room? Take advantage of this week to finish another area, start an area that will take a little longer to complete or focus on other tasks (baking, gift making, etc).

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Hard to believe we're already at Week 7!!!! My guest room was just used a week or so back, when my DD came to stay overnight. We changed all the linens that day and she helped remake the bed before she left. So, the Guest Room will need minimal work, but what does need to be done will take some major commitment. Aside from window washing and dusting in there, I need to do some touch-up stain on the night stands, and I absolutely MUST schedule the replacement carpet for that room. The closet in there needs a little work, too, as the hanging rods are too high for my regular use. Don't know why the previous owner put the built-in shelves and rods so high, but they need to be changed out. I've also got some coats that need to be weeded thru for donation or consignment. Nightstand drawers can also use another going thru, and I just need to check everything else. One piece of artwork needs to be hung, too.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
The weeks are really starting to fly by now!

I did my guest rooms last week. I went through all the closets in the house during July and august which has been a real time saver now when cleaning. I’ve already made a note to do the same next year.

I only have the basement left to clean. I need to pin my husband down for a cleaning day down there. I’m shooting for next week.

This week is a baking week for me. I’ve already baked 4 loaves of bread and made several pie crusts. I need to stop at the butcher tomorrow when I’m out to get lard for a few more crusts. I have apples that will be made into apple pie filling and will make a couple sheets of apple strudel. Thankfully I don’t have to mess with apple sauce this year.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Productive week here. Finished all my pie crusts, apple pie filling and apple strudel. Scraped apples and sugar off the kitchen floor (strudel is a messy business) and mopped. Wrapped a few straggler gifts and started cleaning my sewing room in the basement. Enjoyed working in the kitchen this week. Beautiful fall days this week and my kitchen window looks out over the fields and woods behind my house.