WEEK 8: Kitchen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
This week we start cleaning the kitchen, finishing in week 9. In a nutshell we are pulling everything out of cabinets, drawers and under the sink. Pitch or donate duplicates, anything broken, rusty, ratty, not used for what ever reason, expired or stale. Clean and polish all appliances inside and out (don’t forget the toaster, microwave, and coffee maker). Pull out the refrigerator and stove to clean behind and underneath (especially if you have pets), wash stove fan covers. Remember to replace the water filter in the refrig if you have one. If you have a reverse osmosis system does it need serviced? Clean and polish sinks and refresh the garbage disposal.
Wash cabinets and drawers inside and out.
Sort through cookbooks. Are there books you just don’t or will never use?
Do you have your medicine cabinet in the kitchen? Pull everything out, dispose of (properly) expired medications, meds no longer used or do not work. Make a shopping list to restock for cold and flu season.
If you have time this week: dust,sweep, mop, clean windows and wash curtains. Otherwise carry over to week 9.
If you have a kitchen closet now is the time to clean it too. Next week we will tackle the pantry.
Continue to work on:
Holiday baking
Freezer meals
Food donations
Gift shopping
Gift wrapping and preparing to ship gifts
Work on any homemade gifts
Work on homemade Christmas cards, ordering cards or shopping for cards. Order/ buy stamps
Start updating address list for cards

Other things:
Do you have everything you need for Halloween (pumpkins,costumes and candy, etc)?
Will you need disposable foil containers for thanksgiving for baking, casseroles, etc? Start picking those up now to avoid the rush.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
This is a big week, and my biggest cleaning week out of all HGP. Here's my check-list to hold myself accountable --

Kitchen
  • Clean above cabinets DONE
  • Wipe down remainder of upper cabinets inside and out DONE
  • Clean and organize pans cabinet DONE
  • Clean and organize cabinet with mixer and casserole dishes DONE
  • Clean and organize turntable
  • Organize utensil and silverware drawers DONE
  • Clean microwave DONE
  • Re-afffix trim pieces on microwave
  • Clean and organize cupboards over microwave DONE and refrigerator DONE
  • Clean stove top and run clean cycle on oven DONE
  • Clean dishwasher DONE
  • Clean disposal DONE
  • Clean sinks DONE
  • Clean refrigerator, inside and out; weed condiments DONE
  • Organize and inventory freezer contents
  • Check spices, seasonings, and holiday sprinkles used in baking DONE
  • Baseboards
  • Wash kitchen floor
  • Go thru alcohol, weed out ancient bottles, determine what needs to be replenished
Other
  • Stow patio cushions; move patio furniture and deck planters for winter DONE
  • Take donation to St. Vincent and Goodwill
  • Purchase wedding card and gift card
  • Schedule mani-pedi for Friday
  • Follow-up on scheduling carpet measuring, if no call on Monday DONE
  • Widows event Monday afternoon CANCELLED (weather)
  • Bible Study CANCELLED due to leader's illness
  • Haircut DONE
  • Widows dinner DONE
  • Start packing for vacation

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
For once I'm in the right week! Did all cabinets this weekend... next on my list is the oven

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
For once I'm in the right week! Did all cabinets this weekend... next on my list is the oven
That’s ok! I’m all over the place, what ever works for you.

I think I’m done cleaning. Finished up the basement today. Did everything I could do, what’s left is husbands domain. If he’s not worried I’m not either. Looking forward to finishing grocery type shopping for my son, some much needed sewing therapy and a little holiday baking.
Wont be too long it will be time to start putting up trees!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My 6 weeks of working at the corn maze has put a little bit of a damper on my time to do things but i am doing well. I turned the garage over to DH who said he would take care of it. I skipped my craft room and I have my Family room left to do. It will be the hardest one as I am having trouble getting it to balance. One area is DH's art studio that keeps creeping into the other half that is a family room. I often take many deep breaths when I go down there. I ordered a new rug and have hung new curtains, I added a cover on the sofa too. It's furniture arrangement that is the hardest. I will figure it out one way or another. I need to have it done by the end of next week. So I can get my tree up for our Christmas on November 25th. After that I have my baking to do plus yard work helping DH get the leave raked (always a big task in the fall.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Finished my shopping except for some local chocolate and a gift card. Wrapping today. Not sure if I will get it all done or not. I want to, my back, not so much.
Ordered thanksgiving dinner this week.
Time is really beginning to move along. Halloween is right around the corner!