Week 9: Public Spaces

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Living Room or Public Space

This Week's Focus:
Living Room or Public Space

Reading Assignments from Houseworks :•Surfaces and Systems: Maintain Walls, Floors, Furniture and Fixtures - pages 157-171
The living room is the home's fancy handkerchief. Learn to care for specialty surfaces, furniture and floors.
•Be Prepared with a Family Disaster Plan - page 180
A safety plan saves lives: review your family's emergency preparedness..

This Week's Houseworks Checklist
Declutter, clean and organize the living room or public space. Woo Hoo, I’ve already done a major decluttering in this room so getting it cleaned up should be a breeze.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
*Buy holiday stamps. DONE
Begin saving packaging materials. DONE
Celebrate Halloween. Will buy my treats this week (already would have been eaten othewise)
•Status Check! I’m hiding my shame as I’ve seriously fallen off the plan. I finally had help and totally engulfed myself in a long dreaded project of sifting through the garage and storage buildings to declutter, clean and organize 3 hurricanes worth of stuff that simply got piled in there. These spaces looked like something you see on that show Hoarders. It was bad. It’s now beautiful, clean and organized......................although my homes interior got severely neglected in the mean time.
Decorate for Thanksgiving. Although I will be putting away a few things my concept was to start off with fall and end with fall so that the theme simply grew through Thanksgiving. I’m not the scary, gory type of halloween person anyway so this is working out well.
Complete Christmas cards or letters. Again, let me hide my head in shame. I’m still waiting on the copies of our family pictures to include in each envelope. I will see if I can’t get the scan disk and print them myself. Still, this was no excuse to put it all off. I will work on that this week.
Seasonal safety check. Shame and no excuse but I took my smoke alarms down last year when the fireplace kept setting them off and never put them back up. I will get new batteries installed and get those put back up immediately. See, that’s what I love about this group. Great reminders to get things done.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
This week I am going to get the living room windows and blinds cleaned. I am not looking forward to this.

I also have 3 Christmas cards to make. I need to write a note in each card and add a picture of the kids and they will be done!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ejagno.. no matter if you fell behind in other places.. decluttering the garage & storage buildings seems like a MAJOR job - I, for one, am very proud of you :) I would need to do that in the attic... some day.

Living room is ok for me, however I do need to start thinking of a Christmas family picture so I too can work on Christmas cards. Last year we did christmas hats - I don't have great imagination.... maybe scarves & mittens?

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
ejagno-don't feel bad. Real life happens and big jobs like cleaning out the garage take away time for other stuff. But it's done celebrate whatyou have accomplished!

Good job on getting the smoke detectors back up. I have done that before so I understand. Now is def. a time to be sure to get them back in place.

Mel-we don't have a pict yet either. Maybe I can get the boys on Sat to get them done. We have something that morning but after that... the more i put it off the busier the places get.