Week Five - House Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We live near family and friends so I don't have to think about overnight guests.

The autumn decorating was done this week. We had a dreary rainy day and I brought out the fall candles to light as well as the fall decorations.

This week I'll focus on:
decluttering the toys/games for the yard sale this upcoming weekend.
addressing Christmas cards.

Have a great week!

Mary

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Catch me if you can

With DD here I have no room for guests and it disrupts our schedule. So I will play catch up.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Only guests I am expecting is DS and perhaps DGF so I don't have to do much...however I would like to get the basement turned into guest quarters by then.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Oh, this is going to be a great week for me! I have a lot to do, but I'm looking forward to it!!! Hospitality is near and dear to my heart. I love planning and doing this week.
~ Farmerswife

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I actually don't have anything to do this week. I already decorated for fall and I don't have a guest room. Hubby and I made a decision that we are not having overnight guest for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The past few years did not go smoothly....

I am done with homemade gifts.... need to start shopping for store bought gifts (very few).

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have no guest room or guests coming - yay!!

I am taking this week off to concentrate on getting the last of my canning done.

I will work on Christmas cards though.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I do have a guest room but alas no guests are coming. The room if fine so nothing to really do there.
I do quite like the idea of a pamper pack for guests though so may see if I can adapt that to make a package for DS and myself on Christmas morning or maybe Christmas Eve morning- that needs further thought though.

I did find some lovely Christmas cards this week- am holding off on purchasing for another week or so- our school holidays are almost over and once that happens Christmas items will really hit the shops- so waiting to see if I find any others really fast that I like better.

As its coming into Summer there is no real decorating involved- I will change around the air freshener plug ins to something more seasonal. I do however hoard these during Winter here- as I like the house to have a Christmassy fragrance during the holidays and we can only get the ginger bread/ cinnamon/ peppermint flavours here during Winter- I have a stash ready to go.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I don't have a guest room, but using this week again to play catch up for the two I was out of town. However, I think rather then waiting till the last minute to get my stuff done for my daughters visit over Thanksgiving, I'll think about it now and prep. So little nice things, like I'm washing her robe, so it's nice and fresh. Just make sure her room is picked up and vacuumed now. It's pretty much left alone, while she's gone, so why not do it now rather then wait till around the holiday.

Today I decluttered the living room and kitchen. It's not bad, just alot of things have collected that don't belong in that particular place and I'm going shelf by shelf, drawer by drawer and putting them in baskets to go to appropriate rooms.

Tomorrow I'm making making some more soups in a jar with my freeze dried food. Just trying to prep for the winter, so we can have one of them a week when it gets hectic.

I want to work some more on my Christmas cards, but I've misplaced the stamp I was using. I have no idea where it's at?? I've looked around, but I need to put some more stuff up in my crafting area and maybe it will show up. It's pretty flat, so it might just be sitting under something and I'm missing it.

I'll also start decorating for Halloween at the end of the week. Called my hubby and told him to start bringing home the Halloween tubs. I've got plans Saturday, but I think I'll put the lawn decor up on Sunday if the weather is nice.

Last edited:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
My guests are my grandchildren and I did their room the week before HHP began from ceiling to floor. I am still working on their hand made quilts but life seems to keep getting in the way.

I'm still working on my master bedroom. This morning DH and I both woke up and looked at one another with the same thought in mind..............this mattress needs to be replaced. I'd stripped the bed to launder the sheets and you could see the visible indentions where we sleep and we both were sore. I tried turning it but DH is double my size so he said that it wouldn't work out unless I liked sleeping in a hollow. I was given strict instructions to go mattress shopping today.

Well, like everything else, some wise guy decided that you could change the sizes and no one would notice.....................unless your like me and your bed foundation was custom built to fit the standard king sized mattress. Now the new mattresses are 3" wider so this is going to be a challenge unless I go with a California King (which we don't need since we are both under 5'6") which is more narrow and longer. Geesh, why can't they just leave things alone.

Okay, off to lay around on some mattresses on a day I should be cleaning and organizing.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We will be having guests the weekend of the Canadian Thanksgiving 11 and 12th. Just need some dusting & vaccuming in there .. the rest is good.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm late logging in this week. A bit hectic here but getting lots done. Got the post-purge declutter pile out the house. Hallelujah!! I'm having a party here this coming weekend so I'm pretty motivated and moving fast.

Here is my checklist for Week 5 (9/29/2014) House Room Week (Guest Room):

Read up on improving Housekeeping Skill Set: Read pages 49-71 Clean faster/smarter. (Reading her new book right now).
Begin planning holiday decor. Check magazines, library books and the Web for inspiration. -- Translation: Pinterest.
Inventory holiday decorations. (Will look through my notes from last year)
Declutter decor items around the house. Decorate for autumn. (Doing that now. Uhm, I think it is the Fall Decor boxes that need to be thinned).
Schedule houseguest stays -- Uh oh. I might actually have one this year.
Make a guest room "pamper basket" -- Maybe.
Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. Complete Section 2 this week. Goal: to be all done with cards by November 15. (Still looking for a photo!)

Catch up:
Find one more Halloween Costume
Stash more money away.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
We got rid of the guest space. No guest this holiday season!! I re-organized my dish hutch (much more usable now) and did some work in the kitchen. Back on the house and holiday schedule next week.

Hoping to go out and get Kiddo's halloween costume this weekend (Yes, I know I am a week behind on this one).

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I finally got my Thanksgiving cards made. I have to buy stamps and will get them out in the mail this weekend.

I will work on my Christmas cards either this evening or tomorrow.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Didn't stick to my checklist at all. Have been getting to the cracks and crevices, cleaning for the party tonight. Looking pretty good but have some items I've pulled from some areas that need to get hauled over to others. Fall decor is looking good but decided against Halloween decor as the event tonight is more Fall then Halloween, so will keep that til next week.

Slipcovers are washed through the house. The "rarely dusted areas" are dusted.

Guest Room Sheets are all washed.

The guest room is still a bit of a storage area for me and my guests know it. They have a bed and a drawer and it is a fairly nice space. I think they can handle my stack of decor items shoved in the corner that I can't quite decide whether to keep and put up or give away. Maybe I'll make that decision on another week. I do have some larger items that it would be nice to get out of there by putting on Craigslist. For now I'm going with "it's good enough", as Flylady would say.

Got a little more money socked away to boot.

Got nothing done on Christmas cards and photos. Zero. Bumps to next week.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Got behind on the plan this week, I had work and homecoming activities at the kids school.
I did get my fall and Halloween decorations out, just need to get the boxes back into storage.

Tennessee football today, plus celebrating DS 15th birthday. Where has the time gone?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I bought stamps today and will mail my Thanksgiving cards tomorrow.

I got done what I wanted to for my Christmas cards and am ready to start a fresh week tomorrow.