Week One: JAN. 1 - 7 PACK AWAY CHRISTMAS

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Ok as I said I will post this one a few days early. There's a lot of packing to do here.

Here are some tips and ideas to think about as you de-Christmas your house.

1. How do you want to pack it away? By theme? By room you use it in? I've tried both....:)

2. Can you pack by grouping similar items (like wall hangings in one box, candles in another etc)

3. Find a large empty box to use as a donation box. Sit it near where you are working.

4. Before PUTTING anything in a box...look into the box...does anything remain that you didn't use this year? Do you love it? Will you use it another Christmas? If not put it in the big donation box. Do the same with what you are packing away...did it work? do you love it? do you want to use it again...if the answer is no...into the donation box with it!

5. Nearby keep a pen and paper. As you work jot down any supplies that you will need next year....did have the string of lights go out....jot down that you need lights for such and such a tree or area. For example...next year I know I want to do the kitchen in Gingerbread and Candy...I have some items but not really enough...so I made a note to check resale shops, flea market etc for items to go with the theme...I am being VERY CAUTIOUS about what I bring into the house because I have a ton of stuff...but tastes change and as I fine tune the themes and color schemes I want to use I might need an item or two. But knowing WHAT I want actually helps me pass up other random items that are cute but just don't go with the look I'm wanting! Also it helps me "let go" of other items that really aren't something I love or want anymore!

6. How will you pack away linens and towels etc...Do you have a special shelf or box? Make sure you write down in your notebook where it is stored so you can get it out early in the season to enjoy.

7. How will you pack away dishes...do you have a certain shelf? or cabinet? Make sure you jot down notes so you can find exactly what you want when you need it. I suggest keeping them somewhere OTHER than your regular cabinets...freeing up more space during the year!

8. One last area...food....pitch anything past its prime,....and make notes about how much you pitched....for example I know already I made WAY too many cookies....next year I have made note to cut down to 4-5 kinds instead of 6-7. Second of all look thorugh ingredients you purchased for special dishes. Make notes to use them in upcoming menus so they do not go to waste!

OKAY GIRLS....READY SET GO....let's get Christmas packed away RIGHT by January 7th!! (or whatever date you decide works best for you!)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Today my main de-Christmas goal is the livingroom tree....i know it is still pretty early but I tend to take the tree down BEFORE New Years Day...idk why...it just seems to help me get to going on everything. It's also a fairly easy task because I know I will be keeping all or most of the ornaments...so I just need to carefully pack them!!

:tree:

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I have already started packing it up. I like to do it this week as the kids are home from school and can help. Got the bathroom and hall undecorated, the M. bedroom is almost done and cleaned. Hoping to get to the living room/dining room and tree today, we will see... need to re-organize the attic cubby where I keep everything, got a little untidy in my haste last year to get stuff put up. I have a dresser in it that I keep my linens in, I also pack away by rooms, so I take the boxes to the rooms as I decorate. Dishes are kept in their own areas, no need to move anything around. Food is pretty much gone, so my fridge looks pretty good.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I will pack by room/theme as they fit into both.

This year my husband shared he does not like our tree ornaments that match our decor?!

He likes what I call a 'childhood retro theme' :)
He likes the brights of blue/green/reds with multi coloured lights and the wood nutcrackers!

My plan is to seperate the decorations - put the glass 'decor matching' Christmas into a box - and perhaps be on the lookout for a 'pencil tree' to use them on.

The "nutcracker theme " I will put into another (looking for a sale on multi coloured LED lights), and keep for our real tree.

All the white and silver decorations, in another smaller box for my MB table top tree (the one I do not have yet). Thinking a small live tree may be nice :)

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I have started putting aside towels, dishes etc once they have been washed. Also the Christmas stockings.

Next week we are getting some storage arranged in our roof (no attic here!) so that when the tree comes down on the 6th or 7th it can be packed away and stored up there. I just need to make sure that everything is sealed and anything delicate is wrapped. I'm actually really excited to be able to store things up there! It will be so much easier!!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh, as for food, I am only buying basics this week (bread, milk etc) and I'm planning to use the excess ingredients in my menu plan. Even if I was to do a full grocery shop - I don't think it would fit anywhere!!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I always pack away my decorations according to their similarities. I have a tote with all candles and holders. Another tote has my nativity, nutcracker and Christmas village pieces. And another has all my lights, etc. etc.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Forgot to talk about the food. I am happy to say that there wasn't much food left to throw out. All I had to do was just wipe it down. It was nearly bare. LOL

Now I'm back to my monthly meal plan and only shopping for groceries that I will be cooking with during each week.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Forgot the 2 Christmas pillows in the kid's beds... will wash them & put them away tomorrow...

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I packed up the ornaments off the big tree tonight...I'm going to do the smaller tree in the am and put both trees in their boxes.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
My tree is in box and in basement but still needs to be put on shelf....need help lifting it!

:tree:

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
All my Christmas stuff was packed away before New Years, woo hoo!! My year starts out so much better if the house is cleaned. New Years Day was spent getting my seed order together for the farm. Week 1 was spent getting my tax stuff all prepped, as soon as DH W-2 is here we are off to the accountants! I waited to do paperword last year and I took forever to get things done, I HAVE to get tax stuff together the first week so I can get on with my cleaning, clean house here we come, LOL

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh - I forgot to come back and update in this thread!

Christmas is packed away!! Well... almost...

Christmas is packed away and sitting in the hall!!

My roof storage hasn't happened yet :( I'm leaving Christmas in the storage boxes & bags until it is though. If I put Christmas away in a spare room like I did last year... I'll never get around to arranging the proper storage for it! So by having it take up half the hallway is giving me an incentive to get it out lol!!