Week One - Planning and Paperwork

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
I got a head start on this week last week. I deep cleaned the computer room. I had done the file cabinet and long term filing bins a few weeks before that too. I cleaned out the computer armoire and the roll top desk. I recycled tons from the roll top desk and I can't believe how much more room is in there now. I used Rudolph day to get a head start on the holiday tasks. I wrote out the master gift list, ordered a few gifts, and wrapped the gifts I already have. I needed to get a head start because I'm also in the middle of staining the new front stairs and hopefully that will be done in one more session so it will free up my free time to do the rooms. Happy cleaning everyone!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I haven't accomplished much since Sunday. Today, it is time to get busy and finish off the rest of the things on my list. (The bill paying area and office and school supply storage.)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Colleen - why doesn't MY DH ask me to do that? I try to do it but he never thanks me:)

I am going through some house files and shredding what we don't need anymore and I will try and get at least part of a notebook in order.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Well I had to shift gears today. It seems that a tropical storm/hurricane will be at my front door for a Labor Day celebration. I had wanted to spend my day tomorrow really getting alot accomplished but now it will be accomplishing everything but my notebook. :( Propane tanks to fill, groceries, great stuff expanding foam, food preparations for the week, tarps, and plenty of fuel for the generators. Most models are predicting severe flooding and the great foam is terrific to keep the water out on ground level structures such as garage doors, sheds and such. During Ike we actually saved my sisters house using this stuff around all of her doors and windows. Unlike her neighbors who had 2' of water inside their homes, she merely had a few small wet areas where it seeped through between the foundation and walls. Oh well, on the bright side, it's predicted to be the drought buster we needed. LOL

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hurricanes -- wow! Did everyone see MSNBC's Week in Pictures? Lordy! Felt so sorry for that family in Nag's Head sitting on the steps of their cabin, in the middle of the water, minus the, uhm, cabin.

All quiet here. Fall is coming early in the Pacific Northwest and we didn't have much of a summer.

Busy with kids and FlyLady most of this week. Much catching up to do after being gone much of the summer. But Ejagno's post about overworking was a good reminder so I set TWO timers this week (need to find a good timer for this). One to do the immdediate job and another ongoing one for the day so I STOP.

Today and tomorrow will be my wrap ups for the week. Still to be done:

Reading -- I now have the Houseworks book sitting next to me, open to Page "Clutter". Will read that as I finish my morning coffee.

File Cabinets -- Pottery Barn has them for $269 each. A screaming $10 off for their big Labor Day Sale. That's SO not very helpful. So they get to not be purchased. None in stock at Costco and I've given up on Craigslist. Always sold before I get there. What do do? I want them to be wood and they have to fit under my desk.

Address Labels and decide on photo cards - My #1 Procrastination item!

Paint Stairwell -- I'll at least tape it today and hopefully paint tomorrow.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I am SO glad I got my coupons in order this week because one of our local stores is having a Triple coupon special event this weekend only. Now that my coupons are all sorted and filed, I am going to score some great deals!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am SO glad I got my coupons in order this week because one of our local stores is having a Triple coupon special event this weekend only. Now that my coupons are all sorted and filed, I am going to score some great deals!!

Triple coupon event - wow!!

I hope you get some great deals!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Here in the stores, they always say just one coupon at a time :(

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land

wow what a deal!

I moved my coupons to a bigger notebook and did some clipping sorting. I still have 2 envies mom sent me of coupons to sort. Also when I get behind i file the page behind that tab so i put some full page sheet protectors to slip thos into so they don't fall out. Didn't finish my craft area, did about half, I can finish that tomorrow.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
This store has been tripling coupons 99 cents or under on holiday weekends this summer. They usually only do double coupons 50 cents or less. I did pretty well today. My order went from $102 before card and coupons to $32 with a savings of 69%. :D They announced the triples by email this morning; so if I wasn't all caught up, I would have missed out on a lot of stuff. The shelves get really picked over for the coupon items.

keepermom

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Ohio
List

It has been forever since I have been on here so forgive me for jumping in at the end of the week! I was sick for 4 days this week so not everything is finished. Hoping to get caught up today.

HHP
[x] set up notebook
[x] family values check
[x] planning activity center
[x] set budget
[x] master gift list
[x] Declutter office
[x] Set up filing system
Reading:
[x] 19-35
[x] 226-237
WEB:
[x] Declutter 101: Cut Clutter At Home
[x] The ABCs of Household Paper Management
[x] To Early to Think Christmas? Start Now!
[x] Simplify Your Holidays: Make A Christmas Planner Notebook
[x] Before the Season: Family Values Check-Up
[x] Create a Christmas Holiday Planning Center
[x] Make A Master Gift List

I wanted a portable notebook this year so I'm using a composition book I bought during back-to-school sales and glued a Christmas cover on the front and back. I used post-it flags to make tabs for sections and I'm printing the pages, cutting off the white borders and putting them inside. It's working well so far.

Last edited:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
This is the second time I've tried to post and lost electricity.:(

So, as you can imagine planning and paperwork chores require electricity so there hasn't been alot of that going on. I did escape the winds and rains yesterday to get out and take advantage of a good Labor Day sale to get both of my grandsons each a 19" Toshiba HD LCD Television for their rooms. The price was incredible enough that now I can get them each a Cars DVD player also.

During this mornings outage I actually sat and read my next weeks assignment until it started getting too hot and humid to stay in here. I was bored so I got out and went to my father in laws clinic and did some file decluttering and organization. LOL At least I felt like i was somewhat following my plan.............even if it wasn't here.

So how is everyone doing? Am I the only one not finished with every single detail of week one? I have got to go through all of my binders and get rid of the paperwork on items I no longer own. I'd also like to get my 2012 files set up and gather all of my 2011 tax information so that it's ready to go. I find that taxes are the one thing that really kill me come January. It's a sure fire way to rid yourself of any residual holiday spirit. Right now I've got binders in the living room cabinets, some here in the office and more in the store room. I really want a very long shelf put up here in the office so that I can keep them all together. I love having like things together and this isn't working.

I do adore the new beta forms that you can fill out online and print for the binder. It looks so much nicer. In the past I've always recreated the pages so that I could fill them out on the computer. This is much quicker.

Okay, so let's here about your week. If I can spill my guts in the middle of a tropical storm then I want to hear from all of you.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
The only thing I didn't get done was sit down with DH and write out our Christmas budget. I kept reminding him all week that I wanted to get this done, but it didn't happen.

Tomorrow we do this for sure!!

FireWolf

Retire Member
Aug 31, 2008
My goals for this week:

Deep clean the computer nook
-remove any cobwebs from ceiling and walls
-clean radiator
-clean window inside and out
-empty, clean & return bookcase items
-empty, clean & return printer cabinet items
-empty, clean & return secretary items
-scrub floor
-move last year's files to long-term filing cabinet

Decorating, christmas cards and planning
-pick fall deco projects(5)
-complete 1 fall deco project
-make 9 Christmas cards
-gather and refresh address book
-prepare holiday budget
-start gift list

I totally failed at ever single bit of my list last week...Dh working from home, doctors appointments and babysitting a 5 month old, who I swear NEVER sleeps, all got in my way. I will get the cleaning part of my list done this Tues. The rest will have to get spread out over the next couple of weeks.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
DH and I finally got the budget done. I really want to get DH more involved in Christmas plans, but it is painful.

So, the budget is done and we are happy with the results.

We had wanted to adopt a family this year, but when we talked about it after Christmas last year, DH was working at a much higher paying job. We won't be able to do it this year, but we will be able to donate more to the food bank. We are pleased that we will be able to do that.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
firewolf-that was a long list with all you have going around your house. Don't beat yourself up on what you didn't get done. You have a lot going on and take victories in the baby steps.

Mel-good job on sitting down w/ DH.

Ellen-hope you keep you power back.

A very wise SParkle Nana on here remindes us to take baby steps and realize that real life gets in the way, sometimes it just needs to. :) I have no idea what myplan was so I am sure how I am doing :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
ok I checked my list and it was pretty small. I didn't get to go through all the craft shelves but it flows over into wk 2 of Holiday Grand plan so i am good there. Sorted and cleaned out the bills and set up the boys folder I keep for papers for their school.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I hope to be popping in more regularly after this week. School starts this morning here. It's interesting to follow the lives on this board. All so different yet all so similar in many ways. I'm cheering for all of you. Here's my update for Week 1 after the long weekend here, then I have to get my kids off to school. Will check in on Week 2 and see where things are at.

1. Flylady ongoing for week. -- On track. Kids helped for just 20 min yesterday and difference in adding the little hands is amazing.
2. Order new Address Labels - DONE! (Made my own with Avery's online system).
3. Christmas List & Budget -- DONE! (It will be ongoing though).
4. Find new wood file cabinets for our office desk. NOT DONE. Ugh!
(But I did a big separation a month or so back of craft/school vs admin/bills. DH built me a new desk and everything. This new system in hugely better for controlling the chaos but still need the darn file file cabinets.)
5. Review Holiday Notebook -- DONE.
6. Savings set aside at Bank -- DONE.
7. Read Declutter 101 section again thoroughly. -- DONE.
Little DD decluttered the kitchen junk drawer while watching Disney Channel. Fabulous job!
I've been decluttering my Master and the Attic for 5 minutes each every morning. DD cames racing downstairs this weekend "Mom! Someone stole everything in our attic!!!: (LOL!!)
8. Paper Piles -- Still 2 big ones to go. Will tackle these with 5 minute approach I think. Maybe after attic is done. Hmm. Maybe at the same time? Really wanted those done before all the incoming paper this week from school too. Baby steps....
9. Fun Part: Paint stairwell that yummy chocolate brown. DONE. Looks awesome!!!