Week One - Planning & Paperwork

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Ellen,

What an ordeal!!

I hope you get your personal papers in order during this unexpected time off.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Yikes, Ellen! NO fun! :(

I haven't made too much more progress this week on paperwork. Although I can say that I am keeping on top of the new paper coming in and filing things as needed.

Getting the paper pit sorted and filed was a HUGE accomplishment last week!

I need to get to the store and purchase some hanging file folders. With those I can take all the manilla folders I've labeled and filled and get them into our filing cabinet.

That is the easy part.

The not so easy part will be going through 2 binders crammed FULL of papers and receipts having to do with the fire and replacement items.

{sigh}

Hoping to start tackling that this weekend!

As far as Holiday Prep goes, I've updated my Master Gift List and upated my Budget spreadsheet as well.

I keep everything on my thumb drive so I have it with me both at work or home as needed. A printed binder, although pretty, just doesn't seem to get the use with me.

I did print all the HHP worksheets however. I'm thinking of just stapling them together and keeping them in my backpack for quick reference as needed.

Whether stuck in traffic or waiting in line in the car or whatever, it will be handy to have them there to pull out, refer to, makes notes on, etc.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My filing is up to date, so I mostly concentrated on the lists...My gift lists are started but by no means complete. I really need to update the lists with what I already have (in my gift totes, but I probably won't get to that this week. (sigh)

On a happier note, I usually keep a small note pad in my purse with shopping lists, gift ideas, etc., so I switched over to my "Christmassy" one - red and white snowflakes! It is the size of a checkbook with a calendar on the back and really helps me to keep track of new ideas as I see them and things I still need to do or buy. Couldn't live without it!

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Oh Ellen, I hope clean up from the smoke doesn't end up being a mess.

Everyone seems to be making great progress. This is my last day for paperwork. I work 12 hours each on Fri Sat and Sun. Better get to it.

Nanato3

Retire Member
May 19, 2013
Garland, TX
Ellen, so sorry for you. Hope everything turns out well.

My filing is always up to date. As soon as I get the mail I either trash the junk, file what needs to be filed or put the bills in the to-be paid file.

I have updated my
1) card list
2) Gift recipient list
3) Made my return address labels for the cards and some for the card exchange here
4) Started my baking and goodies list
5) Started the shopping list for the above.
6) Finished my front porch.

Yay - almost through with the 1st week.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I made a huge dent in the paperwork area this morning but I think my luck ran out. I may just have to delegate some of this work for a slower week later in the plan. My son was admitted to the hospital with West Nile. I was really hoping, bad start, great ending for this week and it doesn't seem to be going that way. LOL I'm still hopeful since there are still a few days left.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
WOW! Ellen, hope the ending is better than the middle of the week. Hope your son is feeling better soon.

Still need to put up my fall decorations. That will be happening this weekend, maybe even later today, if I find time to get over to the Blue seal store for the plants.

Otherwise, I have had a good start to the plan.
~Farmerswife

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
My filing is always up to date. As soon as I get the mail I either trash the junk, file what needs to be filed or put the bills in the to-be paid

Eddie - you're my inspiration.

Nanato3

Retire Member
May 19, 2013
Garland, TX
Rebecca - Thanks. It took a long time to learn that lesson. But it is now a very good habit.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My file cabinet is now in order. I found a couple of things in my "Pending" file that I had forgotten about, so I will get them dealt with this week.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Tearing up and shredding

I have one trash bag full of shredded paper from old notebooks (mainly scrapbook ideas and flylady items printed out) and things I just do not see why I am keeping (will need them tomorrow for sure even if I've had them for 15 years and never looked at it). Have one whole shelf empty in the Scrap Studio. Ready to fill up with other stuff probably.

I'm looking really hard at some paperbacks I have and think I will put them in the library bag.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
How did everyone do this week?

I got everything done on my list and that makes me happy.

A great start to the plan for me!!

Nanato3

Retire Member
May 19, 2013
Garland, TX
I did a hybrid of both plans and I got everything on my list done. Very proud of myself.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I got my "piles" cleaned up and filed, and made a good start of getting files made and filed away. I have a good amount of shredding to do, hopefully today during football (during commercials of course!). I have most of my lists made, and updated my card address list too. So far, so good...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm with you Christmaslvr with the shredding only I'll be doing it the opposite way.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ejagno -- OMG, fire and West Nile in the same week? That's a rough one. Hope your son is okay. West Nile is scary. Let us know what happens.

My week got a bit derailed also. A couple unexpected financial catastrophes. Dryer broke and was down. Always fun the FIRST week of school. That is now repaired a few hundred dollars later. Now our young, beloved dog is sick and at the vet and that bill is now in the thousands --thousands that we do not have. That is still unfolding. :( I'm way off my game today. Trying to focus on other things while I wait.

Up until all this, I was on a roll so here's my update:

Declutter Home Office - Made a big dent. I have a LOT of paper in there. Looks better.
Work on Efficient Filing System -- Improved. Color coding hanging files. More Evernoting.
Christmas address labels -- Done.
Christmas List -- Started.
Christmas Notebook -- Sorta updated. Toggling between Evernote and Springpad to see which one is going to suck me in. I use Evernote for everything else but Christmas so far.
Christmas Budget -- Determined but it will be hard after such a HUGE hit this week. *cough*