Week Three - Me & Mine

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
My bedroom has all built in's so it's fairly easy to maintain. Right now my indecision is what to do with my closets. We do not have a lot of closet space. What we do have is home to our casual and dress clothing. The problem is that we rarely wear anything except work uniforms and we are open 7 days a week so that doesn't leave much time for dress or casual wear. I'm thinking of moving the majority of our dress and casual clothing to the closets in the climate controlled storage room off the guest suite and opening up our bedroom closet for everyday "work" wear and just a few casual outfits. It's just a matter of walking across the house to retrieve anything we might need. I'm a firm believer in having what you need and use daily located as conveniently as possible and things that you don't use often out of the way but accessible.

LOL, if I had known that DH would require a C-Pap machine for the rest of his life I would have had a nice niche built to hold that instead of this machine sitting on top of my headboard like an elephant in a china closet. Hmmm, food for thought.

I haven't settled on how I want our Christmas card picture yet so I've got to make a decision on that.

I hope everyone is enjoying week 3 and making their rooms peaceful and serene.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have had two pretty easy weeks with the plan so far, but now it is time to get to work.

I didn't do any spring cleaning this year, knowing that I would do it when the plan started. So now, I will be deep cleaning every room as the weeks go by. On top of the basic dusting, vacuuming and mopping, I am going to wash walls, do touch up painting, wash windows and clean blinds. I am going to be so happy when all of this work is done and I can enjoy my thoroughly clean house for the holidays and beyond.

To do this week:

Master Bedroom and Bathroom:
- wash walls
- touch up paint
- clean window
- wash blind
- dust
- vacuum
- mop
- declutter
- decorate

- inventory card supplies
- inventory wrapping supplies
- prep for DD's birthday next Sunday

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've deep-cleaned almost everywhere in the house in the spring (except the kid's closets), so all's good. did dd's bedroom last week.

In my bedroom I have to put away summer clothes & take out winter clothes (and declutter at the same time) but that will wait for a few weeks.

I'm continuing my regular housechores but adding a few 'extra' things every week (like the basement fridge today). However next weekend we are going away with some friends so nothing will get done.

In pretty good shape cleaning-wise but not so much gift-wise.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Gift wrapping & card making supplies are inventoried and I have plenty of everything.

I love those after Christmas sales for stocking up.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Today after work I headed into the master bathroom and the walk in closet and CLEANED!!

I washed the walls, did a lot of touch up paint, vacuumed, mopped and cleaned the bathroom so I don't have to do it tomorrow.

Tomorrow - the bedroom!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I was on the Master Bedroom and Closet yesterday too. The closet is the number 1 problem spot for me as it is the household dumping ground with access to the attic. Should have built that darn attic in someone ELSE's house! ;)

Big progress yesterday and more to go. Eager to get to the bathroom drawers which need a good clearing out.

Ejagno - jealous of your built-ins! Wish we had done that. My DH had a C-Pap also. It is pretty unsightly isn't it. I feel your pain. Yeah, that whole breathing thing -- can't they make it match the decor? ;) I kept shoving it under the bed. He eventually got the surgery so ours went away.

Haven't looked at the rest of this week's list yet so will need to check that today.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My bedroom is CLEAN!!

I didn't plan on doing all the jobs on my list, but once I got started I couldn't stop!!

I am glad it is done, so I can focus on DD's birthday prep for the weekend and decorating for Fall.

We are finally getting some cooler weather, so it starting to feel like Fall to me.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great job. It is addicting once started.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Wow! You ladies are really on the ball! Great work everyone! I am still working through our bedroom closet. DH leaves for a 10 day business trip on Saturday, so I'm hoping to power through. We have floor to ceiling shelves built in on one side of the wall, but they're only about 6 inches deep...so far, I haven't been able to figure out how to fully utilize them...folded shirts or pants have a tendency to slide off. Grrr!

I'm doing much better on the Holiday Prep side of this week's assignments. I keep a computerized address list year round (I have a huge family and send out cards and photos of the boys for every holiday - sometimes I wish I hadn't started that!) I have inventoried all of my wrapping supplies (more than enough!) and I'm trying to nail down a date to have the boys' picture taken. I made a hair appointment for mid-December to get rid of those pesky grays and have started taking inventory of gifts and stocking stuffers already purchased. My Christmas Boxes are almost complete as well...this year's theme is ELVES.

Whew! seems like a lot, but there's so much left to do. Baby steps! Thanks for keeping us on track Mel!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
How is everyone doing this week?

I finished getting DD's cards and gifts ready for Sunday and I just finished decorating for Fall. I don't have that many decorations, so it didn't take long.

I am happy with what I got done this week, I hope I can keep up the momentum.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My master bedroom is MUCH better. Still some more finishing up to do but the bulk is done. Closet cleaned, adjoining attic organized from floor to ceiling (so I can now reach my Christmas boxes), paper clutter stashed away from last Christmas hauled out for revew, and .... drumroll..... the bathroom cabinets totally cleaned out, wiped down and (almost) put back together. Tossed lots! It is a HUGE relief to have this done! This was a tough week too. Our dog was back in and out of the vet and has pretty much been our primary focus all week. She's better today though.

Declutter, clean and organize the Master Bedroom - -DONE. (Almost).

Decorate your restorative space. -- Has to wait til we have more money.

Tackle the clothes closet. -- TIDY. Will likely toss more.

Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. -- Need to check wrapping.

Make a Christmas card list. -- IN EXCEL. But should check it.

Print address labels for Christmas cards. - DONE.

Order, buy/print Christmas cards or letters. Family photo session? -- Ugh. Need photo.

Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. -- Started.

Set aside a gift closet or create a gift box - DONE.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Cindylouwho,

Great job on all the work you got done. I am really happy to hear that your dog is doing better.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I did some easy cleaning in the bedroom today, since I've been keeping it clean and neat for a while now. I decorated it before my family company in the spring so it still looks great. The closet is fine, I go thru there each change of season and get rid of stuff each time. I won't be changing out the summer clothes for another 2 months so I'll do that when it starts to get chilly here.

I have my list of gift wrap items needed (curling ribbon! I use it for everything.). I cleaned out the gift wrap last year when I put it away so it is ready to go. I don't want to buy new until I use this up, but I always find something new and cute to use each year.

Card list is on the computer and updated, have 1 new address to get from my nephew. Return labels are done. I won't get cards until they are in the one store I shop at in October.

My hair appointment will get done in December, won't need to schedule until my appt. in November. I do my own nails each week. I like to have black toes for the month of October, then head into festive red for the holiday season. And I do have to plan to make sure I get that done! It's the little details that make life fun!

I also like to plan a few outings with DS. We always go to the train store open house, a few early morning shopping trips at the mall, and a trip to Starbucks to get a holiday drink. I don't know what DD's schedule will be like but she likes to come over to bake cookies with me.

I was checking last year's schedule/calendar notes again and I saw that there was a motorcycle toy run on the same day as the train store open house and I remembered how we sat in traffic for an hour. I quickly looked it up for this year and noted it on my calendar to avoid that part of town this year, and luckily, it is a different weekend than the train party.

Last year DH and I went to a little town by the beach and had a wonderful dinner and Christmas shopping at the little shops afterwards. Probably the best night of the whole season for me last year so that is definitely on the calendar for this year. It was the first year we went shopping together so it was kinda special. He is the variety of husband who shops on Christmas Eve!

The gift closet is usually the corner behind my dresser. I have one Christmas present ordered that DS wanted so that will be coming any day. Not sure if I am giving it to him ahead of time or not as he needs it for his art that he is planning on selling online. This year I WILL put tags on my gifts as I wrap them and break that habit.

Okay - I think that is everything on the list this week! Yay!