Weekly Crafters Challenge 1/13-1/19

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I hope that no one minds me starting this. I just seen it wasn't started this week. I for one needs these challenges to keep myself going.

This week I am hoping to get alot done.

[]12 Valentine sucker covers for dd8's brownie troop
[]4 penquin fleece hats
[] work on moms cross stitch
[]see if I have the right yarn to start another stocking
[] have dh look at cord on sewing machine to see if its fixable or if I have to get a new one (dd8's rabbit chewed it while out of its cage)

Ok think that will do it

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I still have some things from last week and the week before but oh well.

Update on my list:

[] Organize and sort out my craft drawers. (I have a plastic two drawer tub)
[] Spend 45 (i'm up to 45 minutes now instead of 15 since I haven't done it for 2 weeks) minutes crafting for myself. (Plan to cut out some quilt squares)
[ ::candyheart: ] Start working on Christmas Notebook for mom (started)
[] Purchase items for cookie sheet calendars (going tomorrow)

I plan to hopefully get caught up this week.

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
Would you share the sucker covers instructions? I help with a Brownie troop at my church and would love to do something for Valentine. This sounds like it would be easy enough for me to handle.

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
I am working on Valentine's Day crafts:
-Make two sets of fleece hats & scarves for my two son's Webkinz
-finish two doll size quilts I started 1 1/2 years ago :slap:
-come up with a craft for my Sunday School class
-Get the kid's Valentine's together & have them work on them (ones they are making for classmates)

I think that's it. Wish me luck :irishkiss: .

Bren :jumpinghearts:

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks for getting this started! I like having this thread to help keep me on track.

[X] finish binding DD's quilt - yippeeee - finished it last night!
[X] purchase fabrics (and thread) for Jen's baby quilt
[X] cut fabric for Jen's baby quilt
[X] make one pinwheel block
[X] make one square in square block
[X] make one mini star block
[X] spend 15 minutes cross-stitching
[X] spend 15 minutes cross-stitching (15 minutes x 4 = one hour of stitching this week)

EXTRA:
[X] made three more mini star blocks
[X] spent 45 more minutes cross-stitching

Now only if I could be as dedicated to my house-cleaning chores as I am to having fun and sewing. :)

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
gllatshaw said:
Would you share the sucker covers instructions? I help with a Brownie troop at my church and would love to do something for Valentine. This sounds like it would be easy enough for me to handle.
They are one of the kits from Oreintal trading. But if you go to familyfun.com I did make flower garden suckers from there one year. Those are cute and easy todo. Also the conversation heart pencil toppers are cute.These are the ones that I have made from family fun before. http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10520 And heres the one for the pencil toppers that are really cute when done. http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10783

jackie

MHH Member
Jan 15, 2008
Hi everyone! I was messy1 over at OC and would like to join in with all of you if you don't mind. A few minutes ago I drug out all my card making supplies to the table in the family room. I plan on keeping it out until I have all the cards I will need for January, February and March done. I have such limited space in my crafting area it is hard to do cards there.

Kim ~ Thanks for the info.

jmgconner ~ I like how you listed your cross-stitching. I need to do that for a crocheted kleenex box cover I am working on. MIL was wanting one for her bathroom. I haven't been able to find one for the size of box she uses so have been making the pattern as I go. I just hope she doesn't really like and want more ;-)

Jackfrosy ~ What kind of Valentine wreath are you making? I am needing a new one. :heartbeat:

Bren ~ You have inspired me to work on Valentine items next week. :jumpinghearts:

MrsSoup ~ What are cookie sheet calendars? Sounds interesting.

Kim ~ I hope your sewing machine cord is ok.

OK, here is my list:
[] Cards for January
[] Cards for February
[] Cards for March
[][][][] 15 minutes X 4 on crocheted kleenex box holder
[][] Finish 2 doll dresses

Good Luck Everyone! :shmaorckstring:

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
jackie said:
jmgconner ~ I like how you listed your cross-stitching. I need to do that for a crocheted kleenex box cover I am working on. MIL was wanting one for her bathroom. I haven't been able to find one for the size of box she uses so have been making the pattern as I go. I just hope she doesn't really like and want more ;-)

Welcome! I just found this place as well - and it rocks!

I have to divide my time up into little chunks, otherwise I get overwhelmed and nothing gets done. :slap: Plus, I follow Flylady, so there's the 15 minute time increments. :)

I was going to wish you luck on your kleenex box, but since you don't want MIL to like it... LOL!!! Have fun!

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
Hi, Jackie! Glad you made it over! And welcome, jmgconnor!

My list is the same as last week--I subbed every day last week and took Saturday as my Celebrate Me day, so I didn't want to do any cleaning! :haha:

[] Clear craft room bookcase
[] Work on DS12's cross stitch birth sampler

jackie

MHH Member
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the welcomes!

Patty ~ I'm excited to be here. :jumpinghearts:

I have finished almost all of Januarys cards. Need to put together a few of them. I have a good start on February too. :applause:

[/] Cards for January
[/] Cards for February
[] Cards for March

jackie

MHH Member
Jan 15, 2008
I have finished Januarys cards :cool:

[x] Cards for January
[/] Cards for February
[] Cards for March

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Jackie- great to see you over here. I am hoping that he can fix the cord or we can order another one. I love this machine. Told him if not he has to buy another one. Can't blame the rabbit because he didn't know anybetter. Great job getting those cards for January done.

Welcome jmgconnor

Patty- how much more do you have to do on the cross stitch? I worked on the one for my mom last night and I think its going to take the year just to get it done.

Bren- How are you making the webkins hats and scarfs? DS9 just mentioned that it would be neat to have hats for his webkins. And he was trying to figure out how to make them some. DD8 would like a scarf for hers.

I had yesturday off from work and since I cleaned on Sunday there was nothing for me todo except get some crafting time in. I got the sucker covers done and thought that maybe I would order more for the kids classes, then I got thinking they would be pretty easy to make since they are just felt, craft foam, wiggly eyes and ribbon. It would also be alot cheaper to make them myself, then buy enough kits for 62 more of them. So a trip to Walmart is in my plans this weekend to get the supplies. Already have heart punch and I think enough craft foam.

:cloudnine: 1 hour 12 Valentine sucker covers for dd8's brownie troop
:cloudnine: 1 hour put together and glue together log house that will be turned into a gingerbread house at some point in time
[/]10 mins1/4 penquin fleece hats (need to get more hot glue sticks to glue on faces)
[/]3hours work on moms cross stitch
[] have dh look at cord on sewing machine to see if its fixable or if I have to get a new one (dd8's rabbit chewed it while out of its cage)

I am back to work today but hoping to get more time in on the cross stitch while watching tv tonight.

Total hours: 5 hours 10 minutes

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
Kim--I'm about halfway through--and yes, it'll probably take me the rest of the year to get it done, too! Since I'm not subbing today, I'm hoping to squeeze out some time in between catching up around the house to get in some time on the stitching. Glad you're making progress on your mom's!

Jackie--WTG on the cards!

Hoping to get to the craft bookcase today, too...

jackie

MHH Member
Jan 15, 2008
Kim ~ Thanks, its great to be here.

Patty ~ I hope you get some stitching in today.

I was up way to late last night. But, got some time in on the tissue box cover. I hope to finish it today. I am tired of messing with it.

[x] Cards for January
[/] Cards for February
[] Cards for March
[x][x][][] 15 minutes X 4 on crocheted kleenex box holder

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
KimD,

Here's the directions for making a fleece hat that will fit an american Girl doll (or other 18" doll)
http://www.makingfriends.com/winter/doll_fleece_hat.htm

For the scarf I just cut a strip of fleece & fringed it. I have only made the doll size hats, but tried them on the webkinz. The length needs to be shortened quite a bit. The circumference isn't bad. I plan on cutting slits in the hats for the ears (my boys have dogs). I haven't made them yet (and the week is flying by!), but I will post how they turn out & what size fleece I ended up using. I have a yard of fabric, so lots to play with.

Bren

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Great to see you Jackie! I'm going to try and use my red beaded Tree garland and wrap it around a wreath form -that way I can take it apart later! I know- I'm a cheater!
Finished my cards today-adding a mitten drying rack to my list.
Great work everybody! :grouphug:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Got somemore time in on the cross stitch while watching tv last night.

Bren- thanks for the idea. Let me know how they turn out. Like I said both dd and ds would love them.

Jackfrosty thats not cheating its just using resourses wisely.

:cloudnine: 1 hour 12 Valentine sucker covers for dd8's brownie troop
:cloudnine: 1 hour put together and glue together log house that will be turned into a gingerbread house at some point in time
[/]10 mins1/4 penquin fleece hats (need to get more hot glue sticks to glue on faces)
[/]6hours work on moms cross stitch

total hours: 8 hours 10 mins

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hi all,

Here's my update. ::eek:rnament:

Updated: Jan. 17, 2008

Crafts
{} Snapfish Calendar
{X} Crochet Wash cloths (done! 2 hours)
{} Soaps
{} Crochet tops of towels
{} Pillows cases for each season
{} Quilted Christmas Ornaments (have material for 2)
{} A pillow for each family member
{} Sister's scrapbook of old photo’s
{} Red, White, & Blue cross stick (started){} Rag Doll
{} 5x7 pictures of daughter put into collage frame
{} paint Charlie's little hand print ornament
{} Crocheted flip flops (2)
{} Help son paint snowman flower pot ornament for grandparents
{} O.C. Notebook for sister

Time=2 hours

jackie

MHH Member
Jan 15, 2008
Jackfrosty ~ Great idea! I may borrow it. :heartbeat:

jampss ~ For 2006 Christmas I made pillowcases for each month for my 3 children and 4 of my neices and nephews. I included a small Barnes and Noble gift card with them. Everyone loved them and I had a great time getting the clearance fabric after the holidays.

I finished the tissue box cover last night. It turned out nice but not something I would like to do again any time soon. I have grocery shopping to do today and would like to work some more on cards this afternoon.

[x] Cards for January
[/] Cards for February
[] Cards for March
[x][x][x][x] *FINISHED*15 minutes X 4 on crocheted kleenex box holder