What Are You Reading Right Now?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I finished Knit to be Tied, Potions and Pastries and A Just Clause! Now i'm working on A Handmaid's Tale and then will start on The Nightingale. I also had My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry become available so that's now on my list as well.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I just joined Goodreads where I can keep a list of the books I read (per year) and also put up a challenge, and it gives me suggestions for other books to read. DD is a member and told me to join (free).

Reactions: Lolwlias

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I finished Faultlines by Barbara Taylor Sissel. It was good. I started Not Perfect :A Novel by Elizabeth LaBan last night.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I just joined Goodreads where I can keep a list of the books I read (per year) and also put up a challenge, and it gives me suggestions for other books to read. DD is a member and told me to join (free).
I keep my own list, but this would be good to look into. When I want suggestions for other books, I do a search in Amazon or Barnes & Noble on a book that I really liked. It suggests what customers who ordered that book also ordered. I've already read most of the suggestions, so I'm working on more ideas. DD gives me some ideas, too, but she likes a little different read than I do ... deeper with more symbolism that she gets and I don't.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
I finished the 3 book series by Beverly Lewis The Shunning, The Confession, and the Reckoning. It was my 3rd time reading them by has been years since I read them last.
My next set will be Anne of Green Gables. Many years since I have read them. DD28 said they belong to her I don't remember so I will read them and give the to her when I am done. I never read this series when I was in grade school. I only remember reading Lassie and the Bobbsey Twins. Any one remember them?
I loved the Bobbsey twins books,,,,a friend of my mom's gave me so many when I was a child...I would read them and reread them. I also loved reading Famous Five,,( by Enid Blyton),and there was one other but I forget the name of the series. I think my love of 'Bristish' things started many years ago.

Coming back to add: just googled it ,,it was Secret Seven,,,,I loved reading these books,,,, I'm reading more about the author now she wrote hundreds of books. I had no idea

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I finished The Handmaid's Tale and am now working on The Nightingale.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I loved the Bobbsey twins books,,,,a friend of my mom's gave me so many when I was a child...I would read them and reread them. I also loved reading Famous Five,,( by Enid Blyton),and there was one other but I forget the name of the series. I think my love of 'Bristish' things started many years ago.

Coming back to add: just googled it ,,it was Secret Seven,,,,I loved reading these books,,,, I'm reading more about the author now she wrote hundreds of books. I had no idea
You've got some of my favorites right here - the Bobbsey Twins and the Famous Five. Did you read Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys? Another favorite was the Happy Hollisters - they have just been re-released, Google Happy Hollisters and you'll find them.

Have you read any of the Malory Towers or St. Clare's book by Enid Blyton? They are stories of girls' boarding schools and the shenanigans they get up to! Loved them, so wanted to go to a boarding school when I was a young girl although I'm sure they are not all midnight feasts and tuck boxes like you read about in the books.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I also read the Bobbsey Twins books when I was little! In fact, one of my earliest memories is sitting on my bed in our first house and reading one of them. I pick up the old books I see at flea markets, etc. from time to time just for the sake of nostalgia. I looked at one not long ago and they are not simple books as far as the word complexity goes - which surprised me because I know we moved from that first house when I was just about to turn 6.

I feel like kid's books today for that age range are much simpler - is that just me?

In any case, I've just finished The Rules of Magic which is the prequel to Practical Magic - and I'm just about to finish that one up as well.

Need to get a list together and go to the library!!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
One of the Kindergarten goals is reading by the end of the year. In order to accomplish this books have become simpler and very repetitious.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pamela, I too grew up on Enid Blyton and I still have my favourites on my book shelf. I re-read some last year, my favourite being a double "Mischief at St Rollo's and "Children of Kidillin". It so made me wish that I could have gone to boarding school and had all the midnight feasts with my dorm mates.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I would think you were pretty smart to be able to read The Bobbsey Twins at age 5. Amazon says Age Range: 8 - 14 years; Grade Level: 3 - 8. I don't think they would be that far off even if standards are lower today.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I finished Only Skein Deep today and am still working on The Nightingale, it's a long book! I just grabbed two more from the library last night as well. I still have one on my Nook too that needs to be read that is an e-library book but since I took my Nook off the internet it shouldn't be an issue.

I grabbed Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman and I Need a Lifeguard Everywhere but the Pool by Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella. Both had good reviews on my Book Club FB page.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Awww, thanks DJ! :) I was an early reader. I still remember the homemade binder my mom made with simple words that I learned to read from. That was age 3 :eek:

I finished Practical Magic so I am reading Rebecca's Tale again (by Sally Beauman) - I really love the book, so well written! It is a follow up story to Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca which delves into who Rebecca really was and does a fantastic job of turning your expectations on their head, even within the book itself as it is told from the perspective of several different characters, including Rebecca via a journal.

Will have to get to the library soon!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I know that there are a few library books waiting for me to pick up. Just have to find the time to get to the library.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Our February book for book club is Surfacing by Margaret Atwood. I plan to start it today. Keyword: plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.