What Are You Reading Right Now?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Right now in the Library sits, Valentine Day Murder by Leslie Meier. I also ordered St. Patrick's Day Murder also by her.

I ordered St Patrick's Day Murder today. Should be in just in time for St Patty day!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I'm into murder and mayhem for my easy reading. I guess that really does sound twisted. In the last week I have read;

Bones by Jonathan Kellerman
Rage by Kellerman
Phantom Prey by John Sanford
Dark Lady by Richard North Patterson

I agree w/ Sparkle Nana Sue Grafton is good. Each book starts w/ a letter of the alphabet and she is on U I think now. They can be read out of order but just remember thst she started in 80 something so her character doesn't have things like GPS or cell phones. But still good books. I also enjoy Janet Evonovich her character is a not so good bounty hunter. They can occastionlly have some language and "interesting" content seeing where as her assisitan in the office was an ex hooker. It's usually very funny though. Nothing really "X" rated but some people may find some of the humor vulger. Just wanted to give you a heads up if that may bother you.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I have just finished reading 'not buying it' by Judith Levine - interesting book about an American couple who lived a year without by anything other than basic food stuff. Very thought provoking - tempted to try it myself but really couldn't do without the internet!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Lana the Patrick Swayze book is so totally awesome. It is a very good read. It is funny and serious and informative. You really need to read it. I am also now reading A Creed Country Christmas. It is really good also.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I JUST READ A BOOK BY JODI PICULT. SHE IS HIGHLY REGARDED BY A LOT OF PEOPLE (AND IS A NYTIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR - SO I GUESS - SORRY ABOUT THE ALL-CAPS. I GUESS PEOPLE BUY HER BOOKS.) THIS BOOK IS "THE TENTH CIRCLE".

Anyway - I found the book VERY upsetting. Anybody else read anything by her?

SparkelNana - I have only read Picoult's My Sister's Keeper and did not like it. I thought it was manipulative and IMHO predictable. I will not read another one of her books.

I recently finished Her Fearlful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (author of The Time Traveler's Wife - which I loved) and was very disappointed. It is a bit dark, but also predictable.

Worth reading is The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent It centers around one family during the Salem Witch Trials. it was very moving and a fast read.

Homer & Langley (E.L. Doctorow) was good - odd but fascinating.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a great read (although quite distrubing - so read the synopsis on amazon before purchasing - it has been described as child Gladiators in a postapocolyptic world) Like HP and Twilight, this series was written for young adults...but it was a book I could not put down. The theme is similar to The Long Walk by Stephen King but the characters are fleshed out much better. Also, the main character is a very strong GIRL...we need more of those in popular literature IMHO! The second book in the series is Catching Fire. Part 3, Mockingjay comes out in August.

I'm looking for my next book....can't wait to read your recommendations!
Colleen

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've read other books by Jodi Picoult that were very good, Nineteen Minutes was a good one. There was another one but I can't remember what it was. I haven't read either of the above mentioned ones but I did see the movie My Sister's Keeper. It may not be ideal but people have babies all the time for the sole reason of saving an older child. Sad, but true.

I think i've read everything by Leslie Meier, unless she has a new one out.

Right now i'm reading Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke. I just picked it up today.

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
Sparklenana, yes, I do like the Sue Grafton books.

I buy most of my books at my favorite church thrift store for 50 cents. Our Goodwills also sell them for that price, but don't tend to have as many good ones. One of the GW in a neighboring town sells them for more for the paperbacks.

Our hospital gift shop also sells paperbacks cheap. I read them and then pass them on to a niece and nephew. When they return to me, I donate them again to either the original thrift store or the hospital.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Just finished reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I liked it. It isn't quite as captivating as the DaVinci Code but it is still good.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've read quite a few books since the last time I posted in this thread. Now i'm reading Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris. It's the last one in the Harper Connelly series. I have one on reserve at the library that i'm waiting on from the Sookie Stackhouse series.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just finished The Burnt House - a mystery by Faye Kellerman. Then I started Boulevard of Dreams about the Grand Concourse in the Bronx where I grew up.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I am Reading Blind Side by Michael Lewis, and The Compound by S.A. Bodeen. The Compound is really good. Tonight I am going to start reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Just finished Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It was good. Tonight I will start The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Just finished the 1st book of the black dagger brotherhood. I think I'll buy the rest of the series. A bit rough but the story is good.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I just finished An Irish Christmas tonight. I"m pretty proud of myself for getting that book read in the speediest time ever! (at least for me)

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
ahorsesoul,

Just some fun facts. I only live about 1 hour away from the pioneer woman. And about 30 minutes from where I teach. I teach in the same county.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Finished The Boy Who Dared now I have started The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Status
Not open for further replies.