what are your elves doing this year?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
I just wrote down today the few ideas I have for the magic elves (based on supplies I have already bought and some I shamlessly stole from MHH)

1. Arrive in a basket tied to helium balloons
2. Are found with play dough and tools like mini rolling pins and cookie cutters
3. They will eat all the kids leftover Halloween candy (cause by then all that will be left will be the stuff they don't like anyways) and be found in the middle of the wrappers with a bottle of pepto-bismal
4. Will leave giant stockings on each kids bedroom door (just have to finish the hand stitching on them)
5. Leave mini trees in each kids room decorated with stuff I found last year 90% clearance
6. Bring gingerbread dough mix and a holiday apron for each of them

Obviously I have a way to go! What is everyone else doing this year?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have to work on this!!!

1 - arrival with advent calendar. and I have to find a 2nd elf!!
2 - Elf ornament for DS & DD
3 - ...

..... my elf container is almost empty!

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
I remembered another one:

2. Are found with play dough and tools like mini rolling pins and cookie cutters
3. They will eat all the kids leftover Halloween candy (cause by then all that will be left will be the stuff they don't like anyways) and be found in the middle of the wrappers with a bottle of pepto-bismal
4. Will leave giant stockings on each kids bedroom door (just have to finish the hand stitching on them)
5. Leave mini trees in each kids room decorated with stuff I found last year 90% clearance
7. Bring supplies to make ornaments with jewel stickers I found at Dollar Tree

Yippee! One week done, only three mroe

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Adding some more

1 - arrival with advent calendar. and I have to find a 2nd elf!!
2 - Elf ornament for DS & DD
3 -
Elf boots
4 - Hang snowflakes to make it feel more like home (thanks liltatoo)
5 - Found watching a new DVD they will have brought "Elf"
6 - Trying to fly from ceiling fan
7 - Snow ball fight

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
More updates that I have shameless stolen from around the web....
8. One elf on the counter with a jar of Christmas sprinkles, one elf in the freezer with a 1/2 gallon of peppermint stick ice cream
9. elves are found making Red Kool aid pickles (my kids love pickles and I think they are going to really go wild over these)
10. elves get into some of my (carefully selected) scrapbook supplies and start making some book markers
11. elves are caught flying on the ceiling fan in my shoes

I can't leave "activities" for my kids to do during the week, because they get distracted by wanting to do the craft, and I can't get them to school on time, so I need to focus my energy on coming up with stuff that the elves can do that won't make us late to school

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
And yet another idea:

8. One elf on the counter with a jar of Christmas sprinkles, one elf in the freezer with a 1/2 gallon of peppermint stick ice cream
9. elves are found making Red Kool aid pickles (my kids love pickles and I think they are going to really go wild over these)
10. elves get into some of my (carefully selected) scrapbook supplies and start making some book markers

12. elves decorate the family dog to look like a reindeer (poor Marty will never forgive me, better buy lots of yummy treats to make it up to him)

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
LOVE all these ideas! our elves are coming to check up on dd on halloween. (found a really cute witch on a broom stick that they can arrive on and they will be in costume of course... :) ) they might show up briefly for another check in at thanksgiving, not sure about that yet. :) maggie

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
And yet another idea:

12. elves decorate the family dog to look like a reindeer (poor Marty will never forgive me, better buy lots of yummy treats to make it up to him) Bought some reindeer antlers at the dollar store
13. Make paper chains out of left over bits of wrapping paper

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
And yet another idea:

12. elves decorate the family dog to look like a reindeer (poor Marty will never forgive me, better buy lots of yummy treats to make it up to him) Bought some reindeer antlers at the dollar store
13. Make paper chains out of left over bits of wrapping paper
14. The car is found parked on the lawn, the elves are in the front seat on pillows, with McDonald's wrappers around them and a gift card for each of my kids (DH can pick up some stuff at the drive thru for himself after hockey one night to supply wrappers and I will buy the gift cards ahead of time)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Here's my list so far:

* They will arrive with a set of 6 elf ornaments for the tree.
* They will hang stuffed reindeer that the kids got last year from the ceiling fan.
* Caught playing in DD's Little People stuff.
* They bake cookies or make dough and leave a mess on the kitchen counter.
* Hide in freezer to feel more like home.
* They decorate a room for a different holiday than Christmas.
* They gather twigs and leave them with instructions to make ornaments.
* Wake up to candy canes hanging everywhere.
* They set up and ride the train during the night.
* Last year they started a paper chain out of construction paper so this year they will continue it.

They will also be bringing gifts here and there, possibly a movie, a snowman elf decoration, and a wooden elf hanger decoration.