What Do You Top Your Tree With?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I was just wondering what everyone tops their tree with or if you even do put anything special on the top.

For years we topped our tree with a beautiful light-up angel that I had bought at Macys back before we were married. Everyone in our family had always had an angel to top the tree. Over the years, the lights didn't work too well and we repaired the angel a couple of times but it was finally time to let it go.

When I went out to replace the angel I had a hard time finding something nice. I thought it might be because it was late in the season but I just couldn't find a nice angel or even a star. I finally found one at KMart but it looked cheap and I wasn't really thrilled with it. I've been looking around this year but still haven't seen very many angel or even stars to top the tree.

Is that old-fashioned now? Maybe people don't use tree-toppers or use a new kind? Sometimes I don't get the memo on these things. LOL

How is your tree topped?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We have an old-fashioned looking star that is unlit that we use. I got it at Walmart I think one year. We had a lit one but when we tried to put in different colored bulbs it stopped working.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have an angel that I bought our first Christmas we were married. Not really my style now, but I keep it for the memories...she lights up and holds a candle that is lit.

The bows are beautiful Diedra. I love her style!

Christmas Girl

Retire Member
Jul 24, 2009
Scotland
I have an angel on top of my tree. It was a gift from my sister the first year I moved into my house and I love it. Each year I'm so careful when I pack it away because I'd be so upset if it got broken

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
A beautiful white and gold angel with pearls and glitter and beautiful gauzy embroidered wings.

AliciaKnits

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2011
We put a gold star (doesn't light up) on top of our tree, that my husband has had since before we were married (so, about 4 years or so). Growing up, my parents always had a sewn angel Mom got at a craft bazaar in the 90's (I think). Before that angel, it was another angel with procelain face and hands and an ornate goldish dress. Not my favorite. Now, as an adult, I prefer the simple gold star.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Used to have a beautiful angel but doesn't stay put so now we put a lighted star but it's not what I like the best.
Diedra I love the bows.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i bought a santa hat this year from cracker barrel to go on top of the tree. in the dining rooom its a green and red hat i got there last year.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
As for me ...

We have an angel with procelain face and hands that a dear friend gave us over 20 years ago ...
:tree2:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Growing up we had a big metallic Santa, and I always wanted a star.
My husband had an angel he'd bought for his own tree when we got married, and he was set on keeping her. I really didn't like the idea of an angel on top at the beginning, but she's grown on me.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Our kid's tree has a brightly coloured Angel (big pink skirt!). The big tree which will be up next year, will have a star. It is more traditional while the kid's tree is more fun and playful - if that makes sense :)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Our kid's tree has a brightly coloured Angel (big pink skirt!). The big tree which will be up next year, will have a star. It is more traditional while the kid's tree is more fun and playful - if that makes sense :)
I like the idea of having a seperate tree for the kids. I know when I was little I'd sometimes go crazy making homemade ornaments and my brothers would get so mad at me for "ruining the tree." Dh likes a very sophisticated looking tree, but I want to let dd hang up her cottonball snowmen and paper snowflakes once she's old enough to make them!

I was just wondering what everyone tops their tree with or if you even do put anything special on the top.

For years we topped our tree with a beautiful light-up angel that I had bought at Macys back before we were married. Everyone in our family had always had an angel to top the tree. Over the years, the lights didn't work too well and we repaired the angel a couple of times but it was finally time to let it go.

When I went out to replace the angel I had a hard time finding something nice. I thought it might be because it was late in the season but I just couldn't find a nice angel or even a star. I finally found one at KMart but it looked cheap and I wasn't really thrilled with it. I've been looking around this year but still haven't seen very many angel or even stars to top the tree.

Is that old-fashioned now? Maybe people don't use tree-toppers or use a new kind? Sometimes I don't get the memo on these things. LOL

How is your tree topped?

You might want to take a look on ebay, since you can often find relatively old stuff on there much more readily that the new stuff stores turn out. I remember we had a light-up star when I was a kid, but can't find that anywhere either. Sigh...probably put a reindeer up there this year.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Growing up we had a glittery star with tiny streamers and tiny ornaments attached to it. Very pretty. I used a country-style glittery woven willow star for years but the glitter wore off and it needs work. Replaced it a few years back with a woven glass star which lights up. Found it on Amazon and we all love it!

My friend has a TinkerBell Angel which she found at Disneyland. I laughed when I first saw it. Her whole tree is Disney.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Growing up we had an angel.

Now, our main tree has a big snowflake, the boys' tree has a Santa Hat (& beard!) and the diningroom tree has a crystal star/snowflake.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't remember what topped our tree growing up (need to look at the family photo album).

On my main tree I have an angel. It does not light up unfortunately but it is quite nice. On the other trees I have a lighted star.

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
We always had an angel but my grandson was asking over and over again where my north star was so I bought one just to make him happy.