What Is Different About 2010 For You?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Is anything very different happening for you in 2010? It could be marriage -- or divorce -- a first baby -- long-distance move! All kinds of things make a big difference in the way you do/plan things.

For me --- it is the probable move of ds#1, ddil#1 and dgd --- to Japan. For one year -- or possibly, for two years!

Off the top of my head, the first thing I want to learn about is: international mail/shipping. I want to find out requirements for shipping packages.... and how long to allow for the packages to arrive. Also - things like "duty payments" - I think you have to pay a tax for receiving items in another country. Packing requirements. Things like that.

I will certainly want to send Christmas boxes -- and birthday gifts.

How about you? Can you see any big changes coming up in 2010?

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
My first born will turn 18, graduate from high school, and go away to college--15 hours from home. The nest is taking its first steps toward emptying. That will be a big adjustment for us all, but especially for overprotective me!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
For me, I got married on 1/16!!! Next I'm moving into DH's house with him and his two boys ages 10 and 12. That in itself is my big difference for 2010.

After that it will be organization, organization, organization! I want to work with DH and the boys to create some systems of organization and storage. They are hungry to be organized and with me there full-time I'll be able to help out more.

We also want to do a lot of work on "our" house such as painting, redoing porch railings, etc. We are looking forward to making the home ours, as a new family.

There is a lot different for me in 2010 and I'm looking forward to every minute of it!

SparkleNana - family moving to Japan - WOW! That would be a big change for you. When will you know for sure?

Pattycakes - How exciting and worrying for your first born to take flight! This will be an exciting time for you both!

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
OH my thae changes I will have. On Jan 10 Todd told me that he was moving out and getting his own place, after almost 20 years together. My kids are all grown and out of the house and for the very first time in my life I will be all on my own. So....I have to find somewhere to live, get a job (I was a SAHM), learn to take care of only myself. NOt sure how to do this life thing on my own, but I will learn, just going to be hard.

Eddie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This will be a year of big changes, Santa Elf -- and I am believing that many of the changes will be WONDERFUL for you!!! There will be time to learn what things YOU like..... rather than making accommodations for somebody else in all areas of life!

And -- of course -- you don't have to live alone!!! Did you ever live in a "group house" with a bunch of girl friends? Maybe it is time to try that! It seems to be a stage of life that many women delight in!!!! And -- some elderly people with big, big houses rent a room for very little money -- simply to have someone else living in the house with them! Another possibility - out of many, many possibilities. Do your grandchildren live near you? If not -- this may be a time to move close to them! Since you only have to please yourself -- you can even experiment with different living arrangements -- trying first one, and then another.

Kim Loves Snow -- although your living arrangement will be very different -- you and dh have prepared so well! The things you have planned together will be wonderful for everyone in the family!

Pattycakes --- that first child going away from home is SO HARD! It is often a tough adjustment for us parents! Tough as in heart-breaking!

For my own 2010 changes -- and, by the way, the move to Japan is just a change that I know about! The only thing we can count on is that things won't stay the same forever!

OK -- I know that the family will leave in mid-summer for a year in Japan. The only question is -- will it be one year or two years.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Wow~you all are experiencing some life changing events! We're moving to a new house in June/July...in a rural area. That will be a BIG change for me since I've always lived in town, near a store. The kids will also no longer be going to school with me daily--dd will be in K in a new elementary and ds will begin middle school in a new district. I would like to change grade levels or jobs as well, but that depends on several factors including retirements.

Lisa

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
Im not sure what will happen for me in 2010.....

My parents aging
My 56th Birthday
DHs 60th Birthday
DH going on his 2nd year as a Cancer Survivor
DD getting her nursing degree in July
Possible job changes

Bad changes and Good changes... Isnt that what life is all about...

You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes.. you can steer yourself any direction you choose........Dr. Seuss

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Santa Elf - we'll support you here. don't hesitate to call on us to talk or for support.
Sparklenana - China is real far!
Pattycakes... very understandable!
Kim - married life is a big change.

As for me DS will graduate from high school & go to college. Fortunately he'll keep on staying here for this year. Next year is something else.

I'm sure there will be lots more. Ah well we'll have to adapt!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
My big change for 2010 will be my first baby.

Furthermore my sister will go to Switzerland for 6 months - this will be a big change for all of us as my siblings and I have a very good relationship and we are not used to be seperated for such a long time.
We thought about a "suprise-good-bye-party" at the railway-station (directly at the train) but the train leaves Vienna at 10:25pm which is too late for our little nephew - but we will organize something (maybe in the afternoon)!

And I hope I find time to think about my career... In the long run I would like to turn my personal interests in decoration and crafts into a business. But so far, I have no idea how to start and how to do...

Think, this will be enough for 2010 :)

Chilli

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Wow, big changes for some of us, small ones for others. However, even small changes can make a huge difference in our lives. Sparklenana, you are so smart to ask this...I'm not sure I would have thought of asking it. You always stimulate my mind and my creative side by your thoughtful, probing questions. Thank you for that, sweet friend.

Santa Elf-don't be too afraid of living alone, at least of trying it. I lived alone for many years and I loved it. It was hard when I had DS17 (I was a single parent then) and had to move back in with my parents because of the on-call component of my job. I had to have someone to leave the baby with in the middle of the night when I got called out. My mom never lived alone until my dad died almost 3 years ago. Although I'm sure she gets lonely and I know she misses Dad-they were married for 38 years and she was 17 when they married, I've watched her totally blossom. She has always been independant, but once she internalized the fact that she could do anything she wants when SHE wants and in the manner she wants, she has hit her stride. Look at it as an opportunity to find out who YOU are and what YOU like or dislike. It's a good opportunity for self-exploration. And everyone is right-we're right here with you and for you!

My changes? For the first time in a long time, I have enough clients to actually make a difference in our household income. And that means working a lot more, and working a lot more this summer. It'll be flexible, but I will be working more. Plus, we are considering a mission trip with our youth group this summer...we'll see if that's in the Lord's plans for us.

I have some personal changes too. I am trying to stay on my New Eating Plan and Exercise Program, hereafter referred to as NEP/EP. My health is demanding it..having two babies after 40 is hard on your body, but then the reality of being 50 and raising an 8 and 9 and 17 year old sinks in and you start thinking of things like "what if I have health issues while the little ones are still in elementary school...who will take care of them/us". Worth thinking about and making changes for.

there's other things, but that will do for now. Great thread.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Sparklenana- is your son affiliated with the military or just moving for business? That is a great big change!

Let's see, for us this year we could possibly have several changes. In March we'll find out once again if DH gets picked up for Flight Warrant and in April we'll find out if he made the E7 list. If he gets Flight Warrant (this will be his second look) then we'll be moving to Alabama before year's end. If he doesn't get it we'll probably be staying here unless he can reenlist to go somewhere else (finding that out this week).

Also, if we end up staying here DH will deploy to Iraq sometime in the Fall. Between now and then there are many training exercises he will be on that will keep him away from home for weeks to a month at a time. He's going to miss DD's birthday this year.

Right now everything is up in the air, we're just waiting for a ball to drop.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
WOW ! These responses have really opened my eyes! A lot of us have lives that may be undergoing HUGE changes this year.

The ONE THING that we can count on is our MHH Family This is because we have a family of love --- that is NOT determined by time and space. We are souls that have found each other in a non-physical way. And we have unlimited love and support and prayers for each other. What an incredible gift! Gingerbug -- I know that you could not have possibly known what would happen when you took the giant leap of faith to start our MHH Family in Cyberspace. Thank you - thank you and bless you for your courage!

I think that we should start some kind of backup for our family. Some kind of "emergency gathering place" -- in case cyber thugs attack our MHH Family Home. We NEED to have backup homes where we can gather safely. this place is too precious to us --- we can never lose this gathering of souls!!!

Everyone here is entitled to their own views and beliefs. Those things are SACRED!!!! We ALL have our own beliefs! For me... I believe that when I die -- I will leap out into the blackness -- and I will be caught by a web of beautiful, divine love!!!! And I also believe that I have a taste of that divine love.... right here.... in the invisible world of our MHH Family.

Spiritual people say that ..... "the veil is getting thinner"..... the veil between the world we live in on earth, and the eternal world. That veil is getting thinner.... and we are seeing more glimpses of the eternal, blessed world. the world beyond our life on earth.

We ARE experiencing something here at MHH. We are experiencing something beyond our lives on earth. Perhaps we have been drawn to this.... by our love for Christmas...... by our love for the coming of divine, eternal love and forgiveness....

I don't know what it is.

I just feel and believe that IT IS!!!!!!

And.... I love it when you and I move forward together.......

This is beyond all of us. It is a gift. Let's keep coming together, here at our MHH Home. Let's see where this takes us. .

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
Thanks for all your kind words. It is nice to have friends like ya'll. It seems everyone will be having some major changes in their lives this year. I am lucky enough to live about 1 mile from my 3 wonderful grandsons (and their dad and mom). Both my sons are close to me, as are 7 of my 8 siblings. I know I will have their support -- as soon as I tell them. I still need to get myself together and determine what i need to do.

I'm with Sparklenana - a backhome would be a great idea.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Changes!

Change is just that, nothing good or bad, just what you make of it. And we are strong, feisty women who will always make the best of any change. Santa's Elf, I'm sure that you will come out "on top" of your change.

My personal change is that this is the first year that both my DH and I will be retired - I retired at the beginning of last year and he retired at the end of July. It is the first year we will be trying out a new lifestyle of traveling and snowbirding...

Also DS started a new job in his company at the beginning of the year. Now he is studying for tests and learning alot of new stuff. It is a big change because he felt he was stagnating in his previous job.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
2010, for me, is like no other year of my life because I am starting it with a new title:

Cancer Survivor!

I still am coming to terms with this and how I must now live my life differently.

Truly, I don't think I've even wrapped my brain around the fact that I actually did have cancer. Some nights I will be sitting, texting with my co-worker/ friend like we have done every evening for over a year and I'll think, "Did that all really happen?" And then I'll go into the bathroom and look at my (beautiful) 9 inch scar and say, "Yep, it happened all right."

So, 2010 is all about: Taking care of my health and needs 1st and foremost. I'm not really sure how to begin or start but one thing I need to do and have begun is to: SAY NO MORE!! I'm so terrible at this but I'm learning that having proper rest, sleep, low stress is imperative in preventing cancer reoccurance- and even getting cancer in the 1st place.

So, I thank you all in advance for taking this amazing journey with me as I deal with a whole new lifestyle in 2010!!!!

I do feel this will be the best year yet!!

Annie

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
WOW so many changes for you all! I love that we have a wonderful place here for all of us to share, the good and the not so good....what an amazing family!

I am hoping that 2010 will be a year of NO change for me! 2009 was such a whirlwind...sold my house, planned on moving to SC, met the love of my life...daughter graduated high school and then was off to college....moved 3,000 miles away to California! I actually hope that 2010 is uneventful! lol BUT we will need to move to a bigger place come spring...we're in a really cute 1 bdrm craftsman style home, but we need a 2 bdrm place, so that search will start soon. I also need to get back into my exercise/healthy eating routine, that I had before everything started happening last year. What I'm looking forward to is for Ken and I to start "being", to start "living" and enjoying life here in Southern California...together!

Bevtop

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
2010 - lots of "milestone" events for our family.......my oldest son's wedding in July.....my middle son's college graduation, and my youngest son's high school graduation. Throw in a 35th high school class reunion for me, a trip to Europe, and maybe, maybe a trip to the Holy Land - and - well, my head is spinning just thinking about it. I REALLY need to plan, plan, plan!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Santa Elf, I also say don't be hesitant to live on your own. I tell my friends that the time I had alone between marriages was the best way for me to think for the first time in a long time. To really evaluate where I had been and where I wanted to go. I gardened, I went back to church, I rode my bike all summer and the list goes on. It was amazing the things I found myself doing. Some people (women and men) are afraid of being alone, but I guess as an only child it was just part of my nature.

As far as my changes, I would have to say dealing with my teen daughter and all that comes with High School. I've struggled a bit this past 5 months with not being her "number one" anymore. She changed schools and for the first time feels 100% comfortable with who she is. She's alwasy been teased a little at each of her other schools for not being the "smartest" or for being the "fat" kid and moving to a new school gave her the clean slate that she needed. With those changes, comes more confidence and friend are definately her top priority now. You always know it's coming, but with her being the only child I'm taking it a bit harder then I expected. She's not allowed to date till 16, so boys aren't really an issue yet, but she does have "interest" for sure and so called "boyfriends". Of course she's wanting to head behind the wheel soon, so that is scary too...LOL At the same time, you don't always like them during this transition. One minute she's as sweet as pie and the next minute she's challening me and pushing where she can. All I can say is...Wow, isn't parent oh so much fun! I'm so thankful she's a good kid and so far my challenges are just one more stage in parenting.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I have been "feeling" additional changes in our country. I keep reading figures that 1 our of 5 American workers is now unemployed -- or employed part-time at low wages -- when they need full-time, good jobs to support their family.

Add this to the big national health insurance companies announcing that they plan to raise their rates 40% next year...... It feels like big economic changes are hitting our country. I think this is going to change values -- perhaps making Americans less focused on acquiring material things.

As I am thinking about Christmas 2010 --- I keep thinking about wanting "peace" and "joy" and "time to enjoy the real meaning of the season". Not about "gifts". (Although, with children in your life, their gifts are always going to be important and fun!)

So -- for some reason -- my "getting ready for Christmas 2010" so far.... seems to be all about trying to declutter and cut down and streamline. Trying to make it easier to keep my home peaceful and organized during the busy time of the year!

And also.... thinking about money - frankly! Not money for gifts (except for children). Money for bills -- utilities and insurance and car repairs and things like that. Money problems can suck all the joy out of the celebration! We can't do away with these problems -- but I want to do what I can to prepare for them! And THAT is a year-round undertaking for me.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Wow...lots of changes for all of us...and isn't it funny that some things just stay the same.

I love this thread...it is interesting to see what all of you have going on in your lives and how well you are coping with all of it, and also, when you need that extra support you are a click away.

As for me, 2010, will be interesting at best. On the top of the heap is a new grandbaby...#8 for me!!! Not even sure of the date yet but it will probably be late Oct or early Nov. This will be #1 son and dil's first having tried for a few years and finally having invetro. Bless their hearts!!

My DH will be leaving work in June to have two surgeries...shoulder surgery and knee replacement. He will not go back to work as he then will retire in Jan 2011. That should be interesting as I am used to being here all day by myself... We have 4 kids and families who live out of state and have trips planned to see them before the surgeries.

For now that is all that is on our horizon.