What is left to get done?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Yikes, I just realised that this week, in addition to being Dining Room week, is also DEADLINE week!!

So all crafts are either finished or abandoned (in theory). And most other prep is done too.

Next week being decorate week, and then just into enjoyment of the season.

All wonderful in theory, but as SparkleNanna often reminds us, LIFE INTERFERES!!

So what have you left to do in the next couple of weeks - can you enjoy the season as planned, or are you still on the run for lots of bits?

(This is perhaps a good day to ask as the last "Rudy Weekend" for many is this weekend - as those who cannot do Rudy Day on the proper day work it).

In my own situation this year, I am OK on some things, but had abandoned a number of crafts projects a few weeks back. And may yet have to abandon one more.
The facecloths with recipients initials are all done and sewn, but there are a couple more (maybe about 5) with pictures which have tail ends needing sewing. But I could always hold those for other occasions (I have about 5 others done).

I also need to sew together DH's hat which I knitted - but that is a simple seam so I will find time for that one lunchbreak. I am considering abandoning the scarf though, as there are still a good few feet to go on that (and he found it a couple of weeks back - grrrrr).

And I have to put the straps onto one tote bag for a nephew (to carry his small toys in), which I will do - should take about an hour. But I don't think I'll have time to sew together the second tote for the other nephew so that may be for his birthday in spring instead.

I have most presents, but still have to get for 4 couples, 3 singles and 1 family. At least I know what I want for most and they are easily got. While wrapping has started though, there is still a large pile of things in the spare room awaiting attention. Lots are DD's though, so she will be occupied for large portions of this weekend.

I have most cards written - there are 8 left to do needing either an address or the name of a new baby. And DD has another job of putting on the sticker stamps over the weekend, and posting them in batches over the next few weeks.

We won't decorate until after we go "home" for the weekend next weekend. So the following weekend we'll get the tree and other boxes from the attic. And I must get another good cleaning circuit done on the house before then (although it is not too bad).

Most of the decluttering is getting done - although I have to clear off a guest bed for my mum staying tomrrow night. But I have brought a large stack of things to the office (which belong there) and dumped a load of things too (between actual dumping in bin, and bringing a boot load to charity shops).

I am not ahead on baking, although I have plenty of supplies gathered. I have only 1 batch dough in freezer, but that's better than none. And I got the rest of my recipes yesterday, so I may do some more over weekend. With DD. And hopefully make my mincemeat too for mince pies.

I also need to decant and bottle my limoncello for a few people, which is likely to be a sticky job.

And we need to organise the turkey. We have decided that we don't need to do a large stores shop before Christmas (or almost decided!), and I have a good few bits put away already (few bottles fizzy drinks, some nice crisps, plenty jars of sauces, and frozen veggies from garden too). But I do have to hope the ground dries enough to go get my brussels sprouts in the next few weeks as well (it has rained very badly so access wasn't possible for the past month).

Overall, it looks like I have some jobs to do, but I should be able to enjoy the run up to the season this year.

How is everyone else getting on at this stage?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Winged One, this thread is a REALLY good idea! To take a good look at our calendars...... and reflect on where we are going to be, and what we are going to be doing in the next month and/or six weeks. AND... to think about things we would like to accomplish.

One thing that I did yesterday made me feel very happy! I got lots of Christmas lights working on the big bush by the front door. (And I took a walk around the neighborhood to see them from different directions. It was a cold night, and the lights looked cheerful and beautiful!

I also got a lighted garland up in the archway between the family room/living room. That makes me happy too! And - dh and I listened to Christmas carols in the car yesterday. Very fun and festive.

I was also struck by how meaningful it was to spend RELAXED time with loved ones, last night. Be getting the takeout Thanksgiving Feast -- I wasn't tired at all when dinner time came. It made a HUGE difference for me! Now -- there were only four of us last night. It would be too expensive for a big group. (Vegetarian food is not expensive -- but a feast of this caliber WAS costly.) But it is certainly important for me to do everything I can to NOT be tired for holiday dinners. I know this sounds like an impossible dream to those of you with small children -- or teenage children, for that matter. But for people like me -- in our "golden years" -- or for anyone with health issues -- it is really necessary! Exhaustion on our part can ruin things for ourselves AND for others!

So -- where am I -- at THIS point -- in our "Finish It Up" week? Shopping - basically done. (Dh wants to get things "from" him -- and I will go on those trips, for fun.) Wrapping is also mostly done.

Cards are started.......... Tree and ornaments are still in the attic. Wreath is down from the attic -- but not on the front door yet.

I'll pop back in to this thread as our week goes on. How about you? What's happening this weekend with you?

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I have decided to do things a little differently this year re: decorating. I am only decorating trees and certain areas of the house, not every nook and cranny and corner as I usually do. I have a plan and I'm starting it in about 10 minutes! I am hoping that by the time I come back here-probably tomorrow at the earliest, Sunday most likely-I'll be done with the decorating.

Shopping is progressing. We've had budget challenges again this year but we have a plan for finishing up. I got several gifts this week, will get the rest over the next two or three weeks.

Low key, casual and easy is my hoiday plan!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I'm back to check in. I put some multi-colored LED lights on the big bush outside. I mixed them in with the small, regular, multi-colored lights. And some white small, regular lights. To me -- it looks great! And --- variety is nice! What fun would it be to have everyone's lights look the same?

When I went to the grocery store today, I saw that their fresh Butterball turkeys were marked down to 33 cents a pound. So -- I got a huge turkey for a little over $6. I cooked it -- and it is cooling now. When it is cool -- I will take it off the bones and put it in the refrigerator. I WILL make stock out of the turkey bones. I plan on having some sort of holiday party for my women friends. So -- this turkey will appear in one luscious dish. I am thinking something like a turkey tetrazini. Which would be a rich cream sauce, lots of sauteed mushrooms, and turkey - over angel hair pasta. It does take a lot of time to cook a big turkey and take it off the bones -- so it is good to do it BEFORE the party day.

HGTV had a couple of Christmas decorating shows today. I think HGTV is doing 30 days of Christmas too. One show had decorating ideas sent in by viewers. Fun to see!

OK. I'm off to check the turkey and do some gift wrapping!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Well, I got almost all the wrapping of things already bought completed at the weekend. DD needs to put tags on about 6 presents (now that she is copying letters, she wanted to but got bored after the first 12 yesterday). But at least they are all identifiable packages. I only have 2 left to wrap that I have bought - and 1 is for creche so I have until 23rd to do it. But if I buy 2 more gifts, and wrap those 2 and 1 more, I can bring all the gifts for immediate families with us next weekend, so that they are undeer the trees on Christmas Day (we won't be back down until St Stephen's Day). And I was helping Mrs Claus also, so she has made sure that the necessary items will be in Santa's sack on Christmas Eve for DD (Santa had already done a lot of the making sure already, but there were a couple of additional items).

Cards are all stamped and we'll post the overseas ones on Wednesday.

And I did manage to get to the plot and harvest some brussels sprouts, so we will definitely have some for our Christmas dinner (I am freezing a small batch just in case we can't get there for fresh ones the week before).

Guest room is more organised, and we got some more deluttering done (including giving my mom 2 table lamps and some other bits for their house).

And DH got a tree at the weekend as well, with DD. The DIY store was giving them away with a certain amount of purchases (I think €30), which DH had already reached, so the salegirl told him about it and persuaded him to get it. Only 4', but still a real one when we were going to use the fake this year. So I am happy with that - and DD was over the moon!!