What makes your house a home?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Enjoyed reasing that one Belles. How true.

I retty much agree with everyone elses ideas of what makes a home. When I've been away I'm always glad to get back to my home comforts and no matter how wonderfula time you've had it's always nice to return home.

:flower:

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Easy...Colin (DH), Kylie (DD) & Cole (DS). ;) I tell my kids we could live in a refrigerator box and it would be home to me if they were all there. :)

I like a house that's neat and yet still looks "Lived in"...things like our leather bench filled with all the kids puzzles and games...that sort of thing. A chair that says "come over and put your feet up, and grab that blanket while your at it". ;o)

I remember growing up, my Grandma always had a dining room that still has plastic on the chairs and the grandkids weren't allowed to go in there. I want a house that's welcoming for everybody!

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I really loved this thread...

Home to me is
The Love between all of us
The sounds of my kids laughing and playing (an the more common then not argument over toys...lol)
Antiques and Prims that fill my home (I love things that have a past/history)
Old Fashion Cookin (not a lot of people do that anymore but I cook meals like my mom and grandma use to make)
Our door is always open to family, friends and neighbors
Comfy couches
tattered quilts
pillows
Candles (that are always burning, its one of the first things I do when I wake up)
Photos
Big Dining Room Table with room for all of us to be together and share our day.

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
Your home sounds so welcoming! I want to come visit!! LOL

What is an "old fashioned" meal. Sounds good. Do you cook like this every day or just on Sundays, when?

You must go through a crazy amount of candles!! Where do you normally buy all your candles? Do you have a scent you use regularly? Do you burn them in every room?

I seem to be full of questions today. LOL

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I loved the article. I always tell dh it doesn't matter where we live, it's that we're together.

I feel these things make a house a home: (very much like thechristmasnut)

the love and laughter we share

family dinners with home cooking around the dining room table

make everyone welcome to our home

lighting candles

pictures of family and friends everywhere

surrounding ourselves with heirlooms and antiques of family members

throws and pillows available to cuddle with

cozy, inviting rooms/decor

warm colors

Be blessed,
Lisa

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
santashelper said:
Your home sounds so welcoming! I want to come visit!! LOL

What is an "old fashioned" meal. Sounds good. Do you cook like this every day or just on Sundays, when?

You must go through a crazy amount of candles!! Where do you normally buy all your candles? Do you have a scent you use regularly? Do you burn them in every room?

I seem to be full of questions today. LOL

Old Fashioned meals to me are the meals that my mom and grandma always make. There comfort foods... They were always yummy, Homemade and made with lots of love~ There foods like Homemade Chicken and Dumplin, Stroganoff, Meatloaf and Mashed Taters, Fried Chicken with collard Greens and Mac&Cheese, Country Fried Steak with Mashed Taters and Homemade Gravy, Fresh Green Beans with Ham and taters. Stuff like that... Man Im making myself hungry.

And no cooking like this isnt just a sunday dinner at our house I usually cook this way 6 days a week everyday except the day we eat out.

Candles~ With my Habbit ( I have a really bad one)...LOL I have to get the good ones.... :haha: and Lots of them I like to stock up when I see them on sale and I also get them a lot at Bed Bath and Beyond becuause there always send me those 20% off coupons off one item so I usually use it on a Candle.
90% of the time I buy and burn Yankee Candles... I love there scents they burn along time so you get lots of use out of them verses the cheaper ones.
Some of my Favorite Scents are~
Harvest
Spiced Apple
Pumpkin Pie
Christmas Wreath
White Christmas
Peppermint swirl
Home Sweet Home

The place you will likley always find a candles burning in my house is Kitchen, Livingroom, Diningroom, Both Bathrooms and sometimes my bedroom....

No worries about the questions here Im an open book.... :haha:

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
Sounds like you and I have a lot in common.

Except I don't cook those types of meals often. I am already overweight and besides that my family are fussy eaters (much to my dismay).

We love the same season and the same scents.