What music/books and/or movies put you in that Fall mood?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I don't know about anyone else, but all this muggy, soggy, icky humidity is making me long for crisp, cool fall days!!!

Just for fun, how would you guys answer the following?

What music do especially like to listen to during the Fall time of the year?

I tend to listen to more U2, Sarah McLaughlan and Van Morrison during the fall - I'm not sure why?

What movies put you in a Fall time mood?

Some of my favorites are "You've Got Mail" and "Practical Magic"...

What books put you in a cozy Fall mood? Novels, cookbooks, coffee table books, you name it!

I am in love with "Autumn From The Heart of the Home" by Susan Branch!

And Gooseberry Patch has some great fall cookbooks too...

What else?

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I just Love the beginning scene of 'Monster House' the scenery is gorgeous-even though it's animated! Of course, It's the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown sooooo put's me in the mood.
I can't think of any music or books that I habitually gravitate to during that time of year.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Music: The best song to get me in the Halloween mood is Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London." For Thanksgiving, it's Vince Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving." And George Winston is best for the Autumn season in general. There are a million, though. I have an Autumn-specific playlist on my iPod named "Snaping Horcrux" (a Harry Potter play on words). hehe

As for Movies: here are my Halloween favorites and here are my Thanksgiving and Autumn seasonal favorites. I love them all so much; great fun for when I'm working on my costume, too.

Books in the mystery, sci-fi, and fantasy genres tickle my festive spirit the best. Of course, just about any seasonal-/holiday-themed books do this as well -- especially of the romantic comedy persuasion. Currently I'm enjoying Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed (sci-fi) and, beginning Great Pumpkin Day, I'm going to have a bookworm marathon in honor of my costume beginning with Nancy Drew: The Secret of the Old Clock.

:pilgrim:

ChristmasCheerleader

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
I can't really think of any music that makes me think of fall other than the sounds of high school bands practicing for football games!

I love the Halloweentown movies and my favorite book for fall/winter is an out of print book by Della Lutes called the Country Kitchen. I'm not really sure why I always read it in the fall, but it is a fun book.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm not much of a movie watcher (please don't kick me off this board for admitting that!), but I love the Charlie Brown movies-Great Pumpkin and Thanksgiving. I can't think of any music specifically, but I do love to drag out the Gooseberry Patch fall books and pour over them again and again. In fact, I've ordered another one from Amazon, but it's not here yet..and I can't remember the name of it. I love those books!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
What kind of book is "Autumn From The Heart of the Home" by Susan Branch?

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Cathymac said:
I'm not much of a movie watcher (please don't kick me off this board for admitting that!), but I love the Charlie Brown movies-Great Pumpkin and Thanksgiving. I can't think of any music specifically, but I do love to drag out the Gooseberry Patch fall books and pour over them again and again. In fact, I've ordered another one from Amazon, but it's not here yet..and I can't remember the name of it. I love those books!!

Any particular fall Goooseberry books you would recommend?

I also love Charlie Brown. I have Garfield's Thanksgiving too.

rachelw713

Retire Member
Mar 12, 2008
DD5 loves the movie 'Hocus Pocus', and so do I! We watched it not long ago, but we'll bring it back out for GPD. She's really into this now. We will also have to watch Heffalump-Halloween-I don't know what the actual name is, that's just what she calls it.

We also like the first two or three Harry Potter movies around Halloween, and I read the books.

As far as music, I don't have anything in particular, but everybody on my cell phone gets anew ring tone: Razorbacks/Paul's Calls for my husband (CathyMac knows what I'm talking about--OH MY!), and a variety of football themes for everyone else!

Janabanana

Retire Member
Jul 19, 2008
jana-janascreations.blogspot.com
Im a mom of 5 kids....My kids love Hocus Pocus, When Good Gouls Go Bad, Bear in the Big Blue House Halloween/Thanksgiving, and we also have several others that get us in the mood :) Sept 1st we pull them out and begin watching....

As for books, I LOVE the book (for children) Fletcher and the Falling Leaves.. GREAT illustrations. http://www.amazon.com/Fletcher-Fall...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216962974&sr=1-1 :boo:

Then we have a few spooky CD"s

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
I watch You've Got Mail over and over and over in the fall. It's just a cozy movie.

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
When Harry Met Sally - That scene where they are walking through Central Park with the leaves falling........that does it for me. You've Got Mail also does it. And of course the Charlie Brown Halloween movie (what's it called?.....something about Great Pumpkin).