What sort of dishes do all of you serve during Thanksgiving?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I have yet to host or make a turkey, but between my mom's and DH's mom's meals, we have turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy (3 different kinds), cranberry sauce (never have liked it), macaroni and cheese, green beans, hashbrown cassarole, steamed carrots, sweet potato cassarole, corn, breads of all sorts, and pumpkin, apple, and pecan pies.

candycane

Retire Member
Oct 7, 2008
Kentucky,USA
www.teresascrafts.etsy.com
we always start the day off with my ham cheese and hashbrown casserole.
our thanksgiving dinner is usually late afternoon like around 4:00.
our menu looks like this:

Turkey
chicken casserole
green bean casserole
sweet potatoes
baked beans
rolls
homemade mac n cheese

choc./oatmeal drop cookies
cornflake candy
pies

:pilgrim:

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
OH YUM!!! Both of your menus sound delicious!!

Because of schedule & personal conflicts I have only my family to cook for at Thanksgiving then we either rent or go to a movie.

My Regulars are
Turkey
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Stuffing
cranberry sauce from a can
Pumpkin Pie

The other sides usually vary but last year I made a version of Green Bean Casserole that was "ok" and an asparagus dish that was fabulous ( I need to find the recipe again).

Hagn
Tina

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
We don't "host" -- but we cook to have leftovers:

vegan turkey and vegan gravy
regular turkey breast
stuffing
mashed potatoes
peas
cranberry sauce
rolls & butter
as many kinds of pie as I can get away with

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
We do pretty much the same, but a couple of years ago, we discovered Paula Deen's Sweet Potato Balls, we will never be the same.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I can't wait!

I love Thanksgiving..it's truly my favorite holiday. What's not to love about a day devoted to thanking God for our blessings, eating copious amounts of food and watching football all day, followed by a day of shopping/eating leftovers/and-or/decorating for Christmas! I am all about that!

We attend a Thanksgiving service at church on the Tuesday before Tgiving, my mom's house on the big day and then host DH's side of the family on the Saturday after, although I'm toying with hosting it on the Saturday before this year...we'll talk about that in another thread another time. The three menus are very similar, but oddly enough, I don't get tired of it.

We typically have:

Turkey and cornbread dressing
Ham
Mashed potatoes and giblet gravy
corn
green beans
salad/veggie tray/relish plate
rolls and butter
a huge variety of desserts

I make appetizers for Mom's house and for here, and it's almost always Cranberry Spread with crackers, BLT dip with crackers and French bread cubes, and my newest addition, homemade jalapeno pepper jelly over cream cheese with crackers. Also, my side of the family would disown me if I didn't bring a pot of hot apple cider and a Pumpkin Gooey Butter cake! And I make "Thanksgiving Sunrise" punch for our house. It's easy, good and pretty...and since we eat at noon, it's a good "signature" drink to greet our guests with. If you're not familiar, it's super simple non-alcoholic. Simply:

Pour cranberry juice ****tail into ice cube trays a few days before you want to serve the punch. You can freeze whole cranberries or slivers of orange slices in the cubes, if you'd like. I use mini tart pans to make my cubes.

To serve: Pour a gallon of orange juice into a punch bowl or pitcher. Add the cranberry ice cubes. Add ginger ale to the punch and serve! Yummy and pretty, very autumnal!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Breakfest: Stuffed french bread and french toast casserole.

Veggie and fruit trays, pepperoni bread placed out around noon

Dinner:
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
gravy
green bean casserole
broccoli & cheese
corn
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce

drinks: Soda, water, juice, coffee, hot tea

dessert: Home made - sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
We gather at a different sister or sister-in-laws house every year. There are usually about 25 to 30 family and extended family (brother/sister inlaw's moms/ dads/aunts) members in attendance every year.

Our menu is:
Turkey
Ham
southern cornbread dressing
giblet gravy
deviled egss
veggie trays
assorted dips
corn
green beans
baked beans
mashed potatoes
sweet potato cassarole
cheesey potatoes
salad
rolls
asparagus
broccoli cassarole
AND about 10 different desserts

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We do the typical Turkey dinner with potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and stuffing, though sometimes it's a jigs dinner.
Does anyone have this year's Wilton cake decorating yearbook? In it they suggest using a checkerboard cake pan to make a cheese cake. You dye a section orange, one yellow, and one white. When you cut it each piece looks just like a piece of candy corn! I think that will be our Thanksgiving dessert this year! (Canadian Thanksgiving in October.) Would make a good desert for Halloween as well!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I haven't had to cook Thanksgiving in a couple years but we always have:

Turkey
Stuffing
Green beans
mashed potatoes
homemade noodles
gravy
rolls
veggie tray for appetizer

Pumpkin pie
Chocolate chip pie
Cherry pie

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
If I'm hosting I like to fix:

Turkey w/gravy
Ham
Mac and cheese
Collard and kale greens mixed
Yams
Sauerkraut
Potatoe salad
Crab stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Fresh baked rolls

And for dessert I serve sweet potato pie or apple pie and home-made cookies shaped like leaves, pumpkins, acorns, etc.

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
This year - since we will be moving into new home the weekend before thanksgiving - I am hoping to "down size" thanksgiving dinner this year - I dont want to drag over all those groceries from where we are now - and dread shopping for the food a couple of days before thanksgiving !! If I have my way we will have a perdue oven stuff roaster this year with stuffing, potatoes, veg, gravy, and I will make like a chocolate cream pie and apple pie for dessert. I want to cut out the cheese and crackers, olives, pickles, etc etc etc - you know - the trays of snacks that are everywhere thanksgiving day - all over your house !! It will be me, dh, dd, son in law and granddaughter who is three.

ellen

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
lol! wonder why it shows my response post first, as if it was the beginning of the thread. guess we lost a good bit in the transfer.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Our menu is usually

vegetable h'ordouerves
pickles/olives
pepperoni/cheese/crackers
chips & dip
deviled eggs

turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes & gravy
sweet potato puff cssserole
green bean casserole (which I may not make this year)
cranberry sauce
rolls
cherry fluff
(I want to try a corn casserole for a new dish to add this year)
rhutabaga

pumpkin pie
apple pie
chocolate cream pie
and whatever kind of pie tickles my fancy at the time

I have already put out my fall centerpieces. (What happened to all the smileys?)