What to make for Moving Day?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Hi all,

As you know, we are moving on Saturday. I will have to feed my movers (friends and family) lunch and maybe dinner. Any suggestions? I was thinking that I'd order subs for lunch and pizza for dinner, but am open to making something in the crockpot.

Thanks for any ideas.

Lisa

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Here in Quebec THE moving day is July 1st... seems everyone finds that funny because no set date is determined elsewhere in the country... we even had some european journalists come to film the movings last year!

The tradition here for moving day is PIZZA! It's the biggest day of the year for the pizza places.

Your crockpot meal has to be complete (not like sloppy joes where you have to toast the bread elsewhere or spaghetti sauce where you have to cook the pasta). How about a pot roast (or cubed beef) where all potatoes & veggies are included in the crockpot? http://busycooks.about.com/cs/fiveorless/a/5ingrecpstew.htm

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We always do pizza. Little Caesar's has $5 large pepperoni or cheese pizzas and then we just get some 2 liters of soda or something like that. Everyone uses napkins instead of plates and plastic cups so easy cleanup.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
It might be cheapier to buy the lunch meat by the pound, bread, rolls, etc and have everyone make their own sandwiches.

Crock Pot sandwich ideas: Sloppy Joes, Pulled Pork, Meatballs, Hot Roast Beef

You could make up a big batch of Fried Chicken the night before and serve cold fried chicken which is really good on hot days.

Do you have a grill? If so then maybe hamburgers and hotdogs.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I also do pizza. But it's bee sooooo long! Thank goodness. That's funny that Quebec has a "moving" day. hmmmm??

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I agree that a deli tray would be less expensive. Just ham and turkey should be enough with some pre-sliced cheeses. It would be much easier on you not to worry about making anything, but you could do chili in the crockpot. You could make it ahead of time, and just heat it up in the crockpot. Maybe add a veggie tray and rolls.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Pizza would is usually our food of choice and we also so the litte ceasers. If you have a Cici's pizza they have 3 for $10 right not. I also thought of the lunch meat and sliced cheese, rolls and chips but you might need to worry about keeping it cool. Is it supposed to be a warm day when you move? If so they might not want something really hot and heavy like meat and potatoes. Lots of cold drinks also.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I always pack a moving day box and cooler. In box are plates, napkins, cups, utensils, wet wipes, etc. In the cooler, extra ice, drinks, etc. And I always do crock pot BBQ and buy the rolls, chips and a pack of baby carrots and call it done. I like this because people can eat when they want, not when a tray is put out or the pizza arrives. Oh, I also buy a pack or two of cookies as a sweet for after the meal.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Thanks for the ideas! I am going to share them with dh then make a decision on something.

You gals are the best!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Fried chicken- or even cold fried chicken is usually a hit too!

Here we have a grocery store called Fry's- not sure if they have them in PA.
They have really good fried chicken and you can get as many pieces as you want. For big luncheons here at work we've gotten as many as 200 pieces! It's a good price, too!

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I like Kim's idea. Then they can eat when they want.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I always use to make the following BBQ sandwiches for our moving days. People would help just so they could have some of this BBQ. Because of the short time left before your moving day, I'd suggest the second one since it's faster and less trouble but excellent.

Diedra’s Moving Day Country Barbecue

5-6 pound chuck roast
2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup stewed tomatoes
2 cans Tomatoes with Jalapenos (don’t worry it will not be hot)
2 dashes Frank’s hot sauce (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and marinate chuck roast over night. I do this in a gallon Ziploc baggie.

Bake this in a 225 degree over at leas 8 hours or cook in crock-pot on High for 6 hours or over night. Strain and cool meat. Shred meat, removing bones and fat.

BBQ Sauce:
1 32-oz ketchup
1 12 oz chili sauce (find near the ketchup)
1 cup dark brown sugar (I never worry if it’s dark or not)
Dash of vinegar
2 or 3 dashes of hot sauce (optional)
Heat together with shredded meat and serve on buns.

Aunt Erna’s BBQ

1 pound ground beef
½ chopped large onion
¼ cup chopped celery
Brown until veggies are tender and meat is cooked. Can cook the ground beef first and drain if desired. Then toss in the veggies to cook for a few minutes.

Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can Campbell's tomato soup--do not add any water
2 tablespoons mustard
¼ cup ketchup
Salt and Pepper to taste
Stir and place in crock-pot on medium for a few hours, then on warm until serving.
Serve with buns, lettuce, sliced fresh onions and both sweet and dill pickles.

Serve either with chips and coleslaw. Maybe brownies too.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I was going to suggest chicken too - chicken portions roasted or southern fried the day before to eat cold as you work. Just have napkins or a roll of kitchen towels around for fingers.

Another one that's handy to eat as you go is sausage rolls, which are also great cold, so can be made today.

Quiche COULD fall into that useful category, but it's less easy to do as you go, and you'd need salads or something with it for the evening meal.

Try and have a bucket of cold drinks (anytime but especially in this heat) - either bottles of drinks or cans might be slightly easier (cos you'd need to have paper or plastic cups for bottles).

And perhaps a box of brownies or cookies or something sweet for flagging energy levels (flapjacks might be very good cos the oats would keep you going!!).

I must admit, when I am moving, I try to persuade the guys to leave a couple of plastic tubs alone in the kitchen - I have one with a savoury option (sausage rolls, chicken pieces, sandwiches, scotch eggs etc), one with something sweet, and a third with fruit. And a few cans of coke, orange etc on the side. Then everyone can munch on these as needed, and they are easy to pop lids on for new place to munch there as needed.

And definintely a takeout for the evening meal!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Thank you for the ideas and recipes! I am planninng on making ham bbq in the crockpot. I'll get some water and sodas for the cooler too. Then put out rolls, chips and some cupcakes I have frozen. I'll probably pick up some cookies too.