What we are buying in 2023.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
For this past Christmas, I bought some items in early November as I saw them and then put them in the closet. By the time Christmas was here, those early items made there way so far back in the closet, I couldn't see them. I forgot about them and then bought more.

In January, I did a full kitchen and pantry deep cleaning. I found a number of things I was going to use at Christmas. It was very frustrating. Now that everything has a place and I can see non-perishables in one fell swoop, I am hoping that helps me with keeping up so that I don't over buy or under buy. This also means that I have to keep up with organizing that closet every week.

I haven't kept a list of "special foods that I bought early and stored" mostly because I haven't really done that in the past. This year I purposely went out shopping looking for "impulsive" fall and Christmas foods such as Christmas tree shaped marshmallows and special seasonal blends of teas and sodas. If I do that again, I will be making a list and/or placing them in a special storage box which would make it easier to find all at one time.
I started keeping all my Christmas foods in a basket and clearly labeled for Christmas so my husband doesn’t eat my supply stash. Other wise I lose them.

I like home goods the best for gourmet items. Not so much tj max and Marshall’s. Every now and then I hit the jackpot for other things at Marshall’s.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I started keeping all my Christmas foods in a basket and clearly labeled for Christmas so my husband doesn’t eat my supply stash. Other wise I lose them.
What a great idea!! Mine are stored on the top shelf in our linen cupboard. DH knows to ask before taking anything from there. It is frustrating to have to buy things twice.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just visiting this again and checking off things that I have sourced in the last month or two. Certainly a work in progress. I am at the stage where I will not be able to buy too many things for a while because the use by dates are not long enough. Will concentrate on stocking fillers and gifts for the next few months until it is time again.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’m in pretty much the same place here. Seem the outdates on everything is pretty short here. I am going to do some wine shopping for Christmas Eve. The next few weeks I’ll be close to some shops I like to shop at.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I’m in pretty much the same place here. Seem the outdates on everything is pretty short here. I am going to do some wine shopping for Christmas Eve. The next few weeks I’ll be close to some shops I like to shop at.
I am certainly working harder now a days to provide a lovely Christmas experience. It is taking a lot more planning than it used to. I am glad that I have the time and motivation to do it.
Getting ahead now will certainly be beneficial a little closer to Christmas. I hope that you find what you are looking for for Christmas Eve.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
My plan of shopping, at least, one Saturday per month has fallen through so far. I should step it up in the next months.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

Additionally, if you have a Home Goods store near you, they always have a wonderful selection of gourmet holiday food items available ahead of the holidays. I get my holiday flavored coffees there and last year I got an absoutely wonderful bag of gourmet pumpkin rigatoni. They are part of the TJMaxx and Marshalls stores, so those two stores may also be an option.
I'm highlighting these ideas so when I read through this thread again, it will stand out to me. I always forget about Home Goods/Marshalls/TJ Maxx for seasonal food. I bet they also have cute seasonal napkins and paper goods.

I think I will go to storing the extra food in a separate bin or basket in our basement alongside the extra supplies [dish detergent, dishwashing soap, laundry soap, paper towels, toilet paper, trash bags, Kleenex, cough/cold supplies] I keep on hand for the week in between Christmas and New Year's Day. If I do any shopping that week, I want it to be for the after Christmas sales. LOL!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I keep on hand for the week in between Christmas and New Year's Day. If I do any shopping that week, I want it to be for the after Christmas sales. LOL!
I have to be a little more aware of the week between Christmas and NYE. I forget to buy meal items specifically for that week and must be more organised.

Reactions: Whusky

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I've just found this thread and read through it all. Honestly, it's such a good idea.
I'm a prepper, and I've been working on building up a short-term food supply for my family. Last week, I did a few lists from the Holiday Grand Plan (long-term shopping list etc). I'm going to start picking up things now ready for December.

Last year we got the minimum in for Christmas Eve and day. We thought that since we have a huge dinner, we won't need much of anything else. Well, Christmas day we didn't start eating until 8pm! The kids had lots of chocolate and goodies as gifts so they were sorted, but I was starving (and hangry!)
I'm stocking up on treats and little luxuries.

Reactions: luludou

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've had to buy Crisco shortening twice in the last week @ $9.00/ 3# can; 5# is almost $20! If you need it for holiday baking, you may want to watch prices and pick up some. It stores well in the freezer for about a year, I know, maybe more. I've never researched it. Cooking oil has gone up, too.

I noticed, also, that Jack's vanilla wafers are not available at any of our local grocery stores. I haven't done any searching to see if they're out of business. It's the brand most commonly used where I live for banana pudding.

The local Walmart had canned green beans and corn for .50 per can today. I picked up several to use in soups. I round out a lot of meals with green beans, too.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
Inspired by this thread, yesterday I bought an extra pack of bacon rashers and chipolatas for pigs in blankets that I'm going to make ahead and freeze for December.
I also bought cooking chocolate and chocolate chips as this will be the year that I bake!
(Instead of wishful thinking about it :rolleyes:)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Inspired by this thread, yesterday I bought an extra pack of bacon rashers and chipolatas for pigs in blankets that I'm going to make ahead and freeze for December.
I also bought cooking chocolate and chocolate chips as this will be the year that I bake!
(Instead of wishful thinking about it :rolleyes:)
Good on you!
You will be ready to go!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I am definitely trimming my list with the rising cost of everything. I'd like to eliminate my online British Foods order which I think I can do. World Market has a good selection of the items I buy and our gourmet supermarket fills in a few gaps as well. I bought a couple of things last year that didn't go over well and since I don't need to be polishing them all off myself, I'll just skip them. Looking forward to retirement, to making a baking list and then gathering the supplies. Maybe this will be the year I finally bake a fruitcake. I hope I'm not leaving it too late but I just can't focus on that right now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have sat and made a "grocery to do list" for the next few shops. Although we are only in April I shop fortnightly and there are 17 fortnights until Christmas. I will try and trim the list a little to include the absolute essentials and a few treats.

Reactions: luludou

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am definitely trimming my list with the rising cost of everything. I'd like to eliminate my online British Foods order which I think I can do. World Market has a good selection of the items I buy and our gourmet supermarket fills in a few gaps as well. I bought a couple of things last year that didn't go over well and since I don't need to be polishing them all off myself, I'll just skip them. Looking forward to retirement, to making a baking list and then gathering the supplies. Maybe this will be the year I finally bake a fruitcake. I hope I'm not leaving it too late but I just can't focus on that right now.
I have wanted to bake a fruit cake too but so far have managed to just collect recipes. We will have to have a MHH fruitcake bake off.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My DH makes the best fruitcake…..yum

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Saw on the new yesterday that the price of sugar and chocolate will continue to rise this year. I think I will start stocking up on some chocolate chips and snag and extra bag here and there.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Saw on the new yesterday that the price of sugar and chocolate will continue to rise this year. I think I will start stocking up on some chocolate chips and snag and extra bag here and there.
I saw that too. Will start putting a little extra away.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was making a list for my CIJ plans. I have made a note to completely empty the stockpile and freezers by the end of July, double check lists and plans and make sure I am on track. That will still give me 5 months to get organised.