What will Christmas 2020 be like for you?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Blue Snowflake

MHH Member
Jul 12, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
I'm curious to see what Christmas will be like this year. Usually my husband and I either host Christmas dinner for his entire family (15 of us), or we go to one if his siblings for Christmas dinner. Because the Covid 19 cases in Calgary were so low at one point recently, we started visiting each other, but since cases are climbing again now that we're in phase 2 and people think masks are no longer important, im not sure if we'll all gather for Christmas...although it is 5 months away. (Only 5! Woo-hoo!!) No matter what, I believe Christmas is what you make it, and I'm going to make sure it's wonderful even if it's just my husband and I. Im still going to bake cookies, serve my husband and myself hot cocoa in the evenings while we watch Christmas movies, and make turkey with all the yummy trimmings on Christmas day! My hubby and I make stockings for each other and wrap all of the goodies inside so it's more of a surprise when opening it all. This Christmas we decided to put up and decorate three trees. We have a 7' a 5.5' and 3.5'. It's going to be our own little Christmas forest! I am so excited, I can't wait!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Your Christmas tree forest sounds nice!

With the way things are looking 4 months into the virus, I'm not sure we'll be getting together with family like we usually do. We live in one of the East Coast hot spots for the virus. We had family and friends get the virus and one family member died. I have seen my siblings and parents one on one in a socially distanced space outside. At this point, I can't imagine having them over for Thanksgiving and brunch during the Christmas season.

I'm hoping to have the things that are important to our family celebrations available to us. Dh, dc and I like to bake cookies, get a tree and decorate the tree. If cutting our own tree is out of the question, then we'll use our artificial tree as back up. I've already set up expectations that things will look different this year. I just do not know how different it will look

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
There's a similar discussion in Week 2 of Christmas in July. You can find it here:

Many of us are looking ahead to what Christmas 2020 will be like.

Blue Snowflake

MHH Member
Jul 12, 2020
Calgary, Alberta

With the way things are looking 4 months into the virus, I'm not sure we'll be getting together with family like we usually do. We live in one of the East Coast hot spots for the virus. We had family and friends get the virus and one family member died. I have seen my siblings and parents one on one in a socially distanced space outside. At this point, I can't imagine having them over for Thanksgiving and brunch during the Christmas season.

I'm hoping to have the things that are important to our family celebrations available to us. Dh, dc and I like to bake cookies, get a tree and decorate the tree. If cutting our own tree is out of the question, then we'll use our artificial tree as back up. I've already set up expectations that things will look different this year. I just do not know how different it will look

I'm thinking the same thing with my husband's family, we probably won't all get together this holiday, but it's totally understandable. Goodness I'm terribly sorry to hear that you lost somebody in your family to Covid. One of my sisters went to the hospital for an unrelated issue and caught it from a nurse. We only know it was from a nurse because my sister insisted on knowing how she contracted it. We were very worried about her because she's a diabetic and an asthmatic. Thankfully, to her doctor's surprise and to ours, she had no symptoms at all. They only tested her because she coughs a lot at night normally, but they didn't believe her. She's covid free now though. As for the upcoming holidays, we can make them as wonderful as we can, i truly hope that the covid cases slow down so maybe we can all still have Christmas with our families.