whats a simple craft for someone to start with?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

itsanewme

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
watching Off Kilter
thinking of ceramics but know i'd make a mess w/the painting
thinking of crochet - started a long time ago - never really good at it
maybe rug hooking? get a nice disney pattern. cant mess that up but what do i do w/the finished product?
or do i just get the materials for a simple kid project? its something id do, a 50yr almost retired person

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Think about something that you would love to make and start from there.

The first thing that I made with no help from anyone was a crazy quilt. Only because my mom pulled mine out that my great grandmother made with my help when I was 7. I used it all the time. Until it started falling apart. My gramma tried to see if she could fix it but it was beond repair. So I wanted to try and duplicate it. I really did a great job on it my gramma told me I did great for doing one for the first time. That was 20 years ago and it is still used daily by at least one of my kids. But it worked for me because I was determined to make it.

Something that is really easy to make is no sew fleece blankets. I get requests to make my niece and nefhew a new one everyyear.

I have tried and tried to teach myself to knit and crochet but being left handed I just can't get it. So I seen these knifty knitters and now have just about everyone of them. The kids and I make a ton of different things with them.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I agree with KimD-you want to make something you like that interests you. I find that papercrafts are easy and don't have to be a big investment to get started. Gingerbug has a site called musesmecca that would be worth checking out.
There are also alot of projects with fleece that are easy or no sew as KimD mentioned-try googling that and you could find some free patterns for great Christmas gifts for next year!
Hope that helps!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
yes...please do check out musemecca.....for lots of great gift ideas...but it Becca's site not mine...I'm just a mod there....

Lisa and Becca are much more creative than I am...but I give it a try....lol

Right now there are threads about gift ideas....lisa made a ton of things in 2007

Also my fav at the moment is a whole forum about using ART for self discovery....so for all of us that want more ME time in 2008....that might be just the place for our creative ME to hang out!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm a great believer in taking a class to learn something new. It has many advantages: you learn correct and time-saving technique, it's usually a small investment to see if it's a craft you'd enjoy doing on your own, you meet other people learning for the first time... Check out your local fabric and craft stores.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I'm with you; I'd like to learn some new things to do, esp ones I could give as gifts.

As for rug hooking you mention, once completed, you can hem the edges for a small rug or sew it onto one side of a pillow. Obviously both those options depend on the size.

I did a cake decorating class through Michaels and it was fairly inexpensive for four week of once a week classes. They had an interesting painting one I'd try possibly even though I'm not a great painter.

What is the full web addy for musesmecca? :snow:

scn

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Northeast PA
KimD said:
Think about something that you would love to make and start from there.

The first thing that I made with no help from anyone was a crazy quilt. Only because my mom pulled mine out that my great grandmother made with my help when I was 7. I used it all the time. Until it started falling apart. My gramma tried to see if she could fix it but it was beond repair. So I wanted to try and duplicate it. I really did a great job on it my gramma told me I did great for doing one for the first time. That was 20 years ago and it is still used daily by at least one of my kids. But it worked for me because I was determined to make it.

Something that is really easy to make is no sew fleece blankets. I get requests to make my niece and nefhew a new one everyyear.

I have tried and tried to teach myself to knit and crochet but being left handed I just can't get it. So I seen these knifty knitters and now have just about everyone of them. The kids and I make a ton of different things with them.

how do you makea no sew fleece blanket
What is a crazy quilt

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I vote for scrapbooking your life and/or your ancestors lives. It can be done simple or as complicated as you like. There is no right or wrong way and it's enjoyed for generations.

Ok, some people will disagree about that there is no right or wrong way. There are some good rules such as, don't cut orginals, make a copy if you want to cut something that can't be replaced.

It is one craft project that can be done several ways to suit your life style.

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I agree with Kim ... find something you REALLY want to do & start there.

Kim- I taught myself to crochet left handed 4 years ago when I was 1st diagnosed with carporal tunnel in my right wrist. I got a book by Jean Leinhouser for it & the book had 10 easy projects in it.

HAGD
Tina

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Instructions on how to make a no sew fleece blanket
http://www.allkindsofbabystuff.com/no_sew_fleece_blankets.html

A crazy quilt as I call them everyone calls them something different Is just a bunch of squares of scrap fabric to make a quilt. Nothing really matches.

Tina I have that book but just haven't had the time to sit down and work on it for awhile. Maybe someday.

MissyToes

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Counted Cross Stitch ornaments would be a good choice. It is very inexpensive, will feed your Christmas addiction-great gifts-lots and lots of patterns to choose from-you can make a mistake and take it out and NO ONE will EVERY know that you made a mistake! :party:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
We have something called 'community schools' here. People offer to teach a class on a certain subject for a small fee, plus supplies. THey offer classes on EVERYTHING from financial planning to belly dancing to Thai cooking, and lots of art classes.

The Parks and Rec. departments offer different classes, too.

Another option would be to contact the local senior center and see if there is a senior volunteer who could teach you a needlecraft. You wouldn't have to be a senior citizen, but they can be excellent teachers since they have the time and the skills, and have often already taught their children and others. You'd be helping out each other!