what's for dinner, Thur, 01/01?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Happy New Year everyone!

We had a very quiet night last night, as predicted, we didn't make it to see midnight. The swedish meatballs were good yesterday, but we ate them early, so we ordered Chinese later in the evening.

I know many of you have traditions of what you eat on New Year's Day. Especially here in the south, store shelves are stocked with collard greens and black eye peas. Each has a special meaning to the success of the New Year. I'm not from the south, transplanted from Chicago, and we didn't have any traditions like that. I think those traditions are pretty cool, but I haven't adopted them yet. So for our dinner today, most likely we will be having leftovers as I am a little "cooked out". At the moment that doesn't sound yummy, so it may change later in the day and the take out menus will come out of the drawer. I hope someplaces are open today.

Have a great day today!!

lovey195

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Island in the Sun
:heartsNY: to everyone on MHH.

We do have left over Chinese in the fridge from dinner but I know that it will get eaten for lunch! So, the plan for dinner is shrimp pasta with steamed vegetables and garlic bread on the side. It has been a while since I've made this and I am really looking forward to it.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We're going to my mom's for ham and beans and black-eyed peas w/cornbread. A New Year's tradition for us to bring good luck. However, we're eating around 1 so unless I bring some home for dinner that will leave a blank slot in my menu plan. The kids don't like them anyway. So, i'm not sure what dinner will be, a wait and see game I guess. Probably something super easy out of the fridge or freezer.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Lovey that sounds good. We are invited to my oldest sisters for beans at 2 but did not call and say whether we were coming or not. So I guess if we go I need to get a dessert baked. Want to do the Oreo cake IF I find where I put the recipe. Guess I should go start looking. She always eats at an odd time. You have to eat before you go (or I think I do) then later in evening you are hungry again. Have a leftover lasgasna (sp) toss we can eat for later.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Our New Year's tradition is to eat pork and sauerkraut for dinner. DH and his dad made sauerkraut and dh canned some of it yesterday, so we'll be having that for dinner at my mom's with mashed pototoes, pork and kielbassi. YUM! It started as a PA Dutch tradition, and must have spread to the European immigrants because my Italian grandparents served it every new year.

Have a blessed day!
Lisa

:heartsNY: