What's next?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Next holiday for us is ANZAC Day on April 25th. A very important day in Australia. Usually there are parades and gatherings but last year we were invited to commemorate at the end of our drive way. We will be doing that again.

Then we celebrate Mother's Day in May. I am thinking we will have a family luncheon or afternoon tea here at my home. It will be cold here then so will think of a nice Winter meal to share.

CIJ will be here soon after that!!!! and then the long roll into Christmas.

What is next for you all?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Mother's Day is up next and then Memorial Day at the end of May.

Hoping for a barbecue sometime around then.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
All on one day, we have Mother’s Day, H’s graduation and M’s sweet 16 birthday! Then its Summer celebration time!
WOW, happy times ahead for you. Look forward to hearing all about it.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
All on one day, we have Mother’s Day, H’s graduation and M’s sweet 16 birthday! Then its Summer celebration time!
I bet your Pinterest boards are filled up with wonderful ideas! Wow! What a celebration!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mother's Day is up next and then Memorial Day at the end of May.
I remember being in Washington DC a few years back with DD. It was Memorial Day and the weather was perfect. We sat and watched a huge parade of motor bikes just down near the Smithsonian. It was amazing.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
ANZAC day has a special place in my heart for two reasons. One is it is my daughter's birthday. The second is my great-great grandfather's nephew died in Tripoli in 25 April 1915. I've been able to read the correspondence between my great-great uncle trying to find out what happened to his son on that day. It's 56 pages worth of sobering correspondence with the Australian government.

In May, we'll celebrate Mother's Day. Then the following weekend my dh's praise and worship band will be doing an outside concert mid May. We are so looking forward to it. We have not gotten together as a group since March 2020. Their practices start next week and I'm thinking of tagging along as a roadie. LOL! My oldest daughter will graduate from college the weekend after that. Then we have Memorial Day Weekend which is the unofficial kick off to summer for me.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
ANZAC day has a special place in my heart for two reasons.
Happy birthday to your DD.

ANZAC Day is almost like Australia's National Day. A lot of my family including my darling daddy have been involved in past wars. I cannot thank them enough for what they have done for our country. We will participate in the Dawn Service in our driveway this year and then watch the commemorations on the TV. I will go to the cemetery and lay rosemary and a poppy on my dad's grave.
We eat a "traditional" meal of corned silverside, cabbage, mashed potatoes, asparagus and a gravy. We will have rhubarb and apple crumble for dessert.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have to ask what is silverside?

Memorial Day is next big day for us. My grandma, mom and her sisters would put flowers on all the family graves for Memorial Day. I promised grandma and my mom I would keep it going for as long as I could. Now the cousins get together the Friday before. Breakfast at Panera’s then to the 6 cemeteries, 30 graves now sadly, then lunch. We go rain or shine. Sometimes there is a bunch of us, some times just a few. I joke I’ll hire a driver and attendants to take us when we are all in nursing homes. I’m one of the “babies” at 64. The next generation shows no interest. Makes me sad that it looks like the tradition will end with us.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have to ask what is silverside?
From Google.....

What's the difference between corned beef and silverside? Well basically they're the same thing – just a different cut of beef. Corned beef is traditionally made using the brisket, an inexpensive cut of meat that is perfect when slow cooked. Silverside is made using topside which has slightly less fat.

Reactions: jampss

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
From Google.....

What's the difference between corned beef and silverside? Well basically they're the same thing – just a different cut of beef. Corned beef is traditionally made using the brisket, an inexpensive cut of meat that is perfect when slow cooked. Silverside is made using topside which has slightly less fat.
When I make homemade corned beef I use a sirloin tip roast. Makes a very lean corned beef.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
When I make homemade corned beef I use a sirloin tip roast. Makes a very lean corned beef.
May I ask for your recipe? I’ve cooked corned beef but never “made” it.
From Google.....

I wondered if that what it was. Sounds like a lovely meal!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Our silverside is a piece of beef that has been cured with salt brine and immursed in the brine. We "boil" it in the slow cooker for a few hours until it is tender. A popular dish here and at a reasonable price.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
April will end DS17's spring semester and his last dual enrollment semester at the college as a high school student.

May will be his end of the year evaluation and then also ... the end of homeschool high school. Memorial Day. DH's and DStepma's birthday's (it was also DH's mom's birthday month). Mother's Day.

June is my dad's b-day.

July DS will be ..... 18!! o_O;):)

Then it's ... fall and Christmas!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
April will end DS17's spring semester and his last dual enrollment semester at the college as a high school student.

May will be his end of the year evaluation and then also ... the end of homeschool high school. Memorial Day. DH's and DStepma's birthday's (it was also DH's mom's birthday month). Mother's Day.

June is my dad's b-day.

July DS will be ..... 18!! o_O;):)

Then it's ... fall and Christmas!
When you set it out like this there is not too much time before Christmas will be here!!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tomorrow is Mother's Day here in Australia. My Mum's birthday is May 11th, so a busy few days.

We will celebrate Queen's Birthday on June 14th and that is about it for holidays for us. The next long weekend (holiday weekend) for us after June will be October 4th for Labour Day. We are so top heavy on holidays at the beginning of the year and nothing towards the end.

I do have my DB 40th birthday in June, DS 33rd birthday in July and DD wedding in October to look forward to.