When Do You Buy Candy?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I try to buy candy throughout September and October. We have had hundreds of trick or treaters many years. The big problem is finding places to hide it. My husband has radar that alerts him to chocolate. And chocolate is poison to pets -- so it has to be in places where adorable dogs cannot find it.

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
Thats great..lol I buy it like the day before because i will eat (and have) the whole bag myself. I cannot buy it early! We get very few trick or treaters in our neighborhood, so there is no need to plan as I do for other holidays.

good luck hiding it from the adorable dogs!! lol

Kelly :jack:

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
I'm all done buying mine already. I cut what I bought by 3/4 and only bought 4 bags of candy. That's because I'm handing out bags this year and there's only so much room in there. DD is helping me make the bags and decorate them. Once they're glued we'll put the candy in and a little Halloween toy. Then we are done! Yippee!

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I use to buy candy early Oct. although This will be the first year in a long time that we have passed out candy because we use to live in the country with no neighbors. We just recently moved back to the city so we'll have a chance to pass out candy this year so Im excited.

Last year when we took our kids out we went to a house that had a Lady in a Bunny Costume and she was passing out EASTER CANDY!!! I just stood there with my mouth hanging open... Trying not to laugh.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
One year, we went to a hose where a lady was handing out dog biscuits! I am not kidding. She explained to us that she wanted to make sure the dogs got treats for Halloween too. I hope she didn't get tired of telling kids that they were for dogs, not children.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm all for treating dogs, but that's a little extreme! Halloween is for kids, not dogs!

I am another one that can't buy candy early...I could hide it from the kids, but I always know where it is! LOL!

I buy it just before Halloween and I buy things I don't care for.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
thechristmasnut said:
I use to buy candy early Oct. although This will be the first year in a long time that we have passed out candy because we use to live in the country with no neighbors. We just recently moved back to the city so we'll have a chance to pass out candy this year so Im excited.

Last year when we took our kids out we went to a house that had a Lady in a Bunny Costume and she was passing out EASTER CANDY!!! I just stood there with my mouth hanging open... Trying not to laugh.

:rotflol: I bet that was an unexpected site to see.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
:hat:
The day before for me! Too much temptation for my DH (who shouldn't eat a bag of chocolate) and my middle son who is diabetic.

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
We live in a small town and also get hundreds of children so I start buying a couple of bags a week in Sept. (I also turn off the lights when my 200 pieces are gone). My problem was I hated running out of candy just when the little children I knew would come to the door. My solution was to make special bags for those children with their names on it and a few with no names (incase they came with a friend). Halloween has gone much better.

ChristmasCheerleader

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
Lets see, yesterday I bought two bags of the Brachs Autumn Mix. You know the kind with the candy corn and the chocolate candy corn and the little orange pumpkins? Yeah, well now I only have one bag! Yep, I can't believe I ate the whole thing!

We don't have trick or treaters (too far into the country) but I make goodie bags for the girls in the office and for my son and a couple of his friends, I don't buy it until about the day before because of the reason stated above!

Reactions: housewife2

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
We talked about this the other day, we get about 200 kiddos so we want to start picking up bags now. My husband wants to give out airheads this year.

ChristmasCheerleader- I want to make the candy corn/peanut mix for us but that is exactly why I want to wait :slap: It would be eaten quickly!!

VeronicaM

Retire Member
Aug 3, 2008
I don't usually buy much candy--we live so far out in the boonies that we never have trick or treaters and we usually take DD to the church with my nephew to play at the carnival and trick or treat there. But I'm sure I'll use some of my extra care bucks at CVS for us to enjoy during the Halloween season

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
While out at the stores yesterday I saw tons of candy. I picked up my ingredients for my fall mix (peanuts, m&m's and candy corn) but I put them back, because they would probably be gone by this morning. :rotflol:

rachelw713

Retire Member
Mar 12, 2008
I tend to start buying my candy around now...in fact, I will probably pick up a bag or two today. I like to give out two kinds-suckers and chocolate. I can't buy the chocolate until close to Halloween, or DD and I will eat the whole thing in a few days!