When do you carve your pumpkins?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I was wondering if our pumpkin would survive until Halloween uncarved. Half the crop was killed off here so they're scarce this year and a friend brought me one. I thought it was too early.
We always carve ours the day before if not the day of, otherwise they go all moldy. I've heard of people putting bleach on them after carving to make them last longer.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I understand that when you are carving a pumpkin you take out all the seeds and goo from the insides, but do you keep the flesh in there or do you try and get that out and just leave a shell of the pumpkin behind?
Never carved a pumpkin in my life but it always looks like fun.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Katrina, we leave all the flesh when we carve ours. Just scoop out the seeds and stringy parts. Definitely carve one someday. It's so fun to create a design. It doesn't have to be Halloween related. You can do any type decoration on it and just use it to create soft glow at night around the holidays.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Here in Hawaii, we can't carve ours until the night before (we don't put it outside until the day of) and then have to immediately throw it out the day after Halloween, otherwise it would attract a million bugs.

That's pretty much how it is here in Louisiana, too. No way we can do them way ahead. The heat destroys them and a million bugs attracted to them.

Over the past few years the beautiful orange pumpkins are showing up in our shops here. (our pumpkins are a blue/grey colour).

Katrina, I love the blue/grey ones, but they're really expensive here. This year, I bought a really dark red-orange one, a white one, and a regular orange one to go beside the front steps to our house. As long as we don't carve them, they last until Thanksgiving without rotting.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
We can carve them in colorado ahead of time...SOMETIMES....lots of factors come into play. If they freeze from a storm they spoil immediately when they defrost. Fighting off squirrels is also an issue. Even without carving, but carving just makes their dinner easier to access. So I pretty much wait till a day or two ahead of Halloween at the most.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, I can just imagine walking outside and seeing a squirrel in your pumpkin, how funny.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well Mrs. Soup I guess that keeps things neat and tidy! ;) I can only imagine the bugs you would get - Eek!

Michelle - Although the squirrels can be little stinkers that made me think of something I saw on a show once: that folks in Alaska have trouble with moose coming right up onto their porches to eat the pumpkins!!!! Imagine that! Crazy!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
our pumpkins this year

Attachments

• Halloween 1 (640x480).jpg
    Halloween 1 (640x480).jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20181031_181630 (480x640).jpg
    20181031_181630 (480x640).jpg
    130 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: luludou

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We didn't end up getting pumpkins this year. Only Eli mentioned it the day before Halloween. He said, "Mom, we forgot to get pumpkins!" I told him that I didn't forget. LOL The wild boars have been coming around and destroying people's porches and eating their pumpkins and leaving huge messes and I didn't want that extra worry, so I didn't bother. No one said anything except Eli.

Reactions: Minta

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Minta great pumpkins! AJ will have to see from home as they cut off acces to flicker here :(

Reactions: Minta