when does everyone start to decorate for christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Oh wow! You pull the trigger early!!! :)

Halloween is already down at my house, but I'll leave out fall for now, add a few Thanksgiving things....UNTIL...Thanksgiving night!

After we get home from dinner with family I usually work off some of the calories by starting on the decor...it would be nice to have the big tree up and ready to decorate before that point - but knowing my schedule it's unlikely.

That whole long weekend will find me wallowing in Christmas decorating!!!

Share some pics if you can, housewife2! I'll live vicariously through you for now!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Do you decorate a little at a time?

We host Thanksgiving dinner so I leave the fall decor up until the day after. I bring out the Advent items and Christmas table ware on Friday. We usually put up the outdoor lights and the rest of the indoor decorations that weekend. When we had an artificial tree, it went up that weekend too. Now we cut a tree down either the first or second weekend in December.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am so ready to have my Christmas tree out. Do not know why but it's coming out soon.

Reactions: housewife2

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I decorate for fall/a little Halloween/thanksgiving for October through Thanksgiving Day. Then the Friday after ... Out comes Christmas.

We’ve been cutting down our tree December 1 at a tree farm the last few years. But I don’t know what we’ll do this year as we are going on vacation December 9-16.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I usually decorate the day after or the weekend after Thanksgiving. I think one year I jumped the gun and did it before Thanksgiving but I think that was because DH was deploying. I usually let Thanksgiving pass first though. I have been thinking about where the two big trees will go in this house already. Not nearly as much room here.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We always used to do Christmas on December 1st but that's too tricky now- and over the years I have added to the Christmas decor so there is more to get up now. December 1st was fine when Luke was smaller and did not have activities. We used to be able to do it in an evening. But December 1st this year is a Friday and he will have training, surf training and I think its the swim club end of year BBQ.
The last few years we have been doing it the weekend closest to December 1st- normally this would be Saturday and Sunday 2nd and 3rd but that weekend is already booked solid with swim and surf activities. So we will go the weekend before 25 and 26 November. It is a tiny bit early for us but can't be helped this year. Our Elf arrives traditionally on December 1st so it cant be helped.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not sure yet... depends on dh's bringing down the stuff from the attic. Probably on the Nov. 18th.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I like to start Christmas decorating on the first Sunday of Advent. It's hard to get DH to do the outside lights that early. He wants to get the full impact of Thanksgiving weekend before we delve into Christmas.

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
My inside is done and outside is well under way but still got weeks of work ahead. we have to start very early to make our Dec. 1st. lighting. Folks are still viewing my 2016 Utube and are anxiously awaiting this years. And they are in for several surprises, lot's of new added.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
All of our Christmas decorating is done Thanksgiving weekend. We host Thanksgiving so we leave all the fall decorations up for Thanksgiving plus we have an inflatable Turkey :)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Probably will put up Hanukkah/Winter the week after Thanksgiving and put up Christmas after our Hanukkah party on Dec. 16. No matter what the house will look festive.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. Maybe a little tricky this year as we are going to the beach that weekend.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I will probably start around Monday the 20th. Would love to have tree up and be decorated for deer season but to many people in and out so will start the Monday after--is my plan.

Was wishing the outside was done but...... We use to put up a zillion lights outside and then Allen got sick the one year and then we need more power source. Hoping to get lights up this year. Weather is turning chillier and I hate him out there when cooler.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We traditionally wait til the first weekend in December.
I am putting out less and less each year so it now just takes a day or two where before it used to take about a week.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've put my window stickers, my poinsettia and an elf out at the office :) my usb-lights and snowman will be coming out soon

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Our tree goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving -- in the meantime I really savor my Fall decor. For me the part I get most excited about with Christmas decor is the twinkling lights (okay and the smell of gingerbread). Now I have orange twinkling lights that go up with the Halloween decor and then that transitions into Thanksgiving decor. Really lengthens the twinkle season for me! :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The neighbor on the corner has two outside trees with lights on already. Time for my tree to come out this week. LC1 was saying she is itching to get her tree out too.

Last edited:
Reactions: housewife2

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I need to start thinking about when to put up the lights on the front porch! I'd like to get it done before Thanksgiving weekend, especially if we have a nice day!