when does everyone start to decorate for christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Blue Snowflake

MHH Member
Jul 12, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
That sounds so pretty, what a wonderful tradition.
I am still deciding whether to go all out this year and be over the top with my decorating or to follow the theme this year which is to simplify.
Well why don't you go all out this year to see how you feel about it. You can always simplify the year after. We don't go over the top with our decorations, but we like to stream lights all through the house, and on the balcony. We also use garland in the house, but not too much. I bring out the wreaths, Christmas cookie jars, Christmas candlesticks and other knick knacks. But I don't like clutter, so I have my husband do the lights and I help him with everything else.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Three trees here too. The family tree, the daughter/baby/pet/school/favorite collections tree, and the travel tree. 40 years of collecting ornaments means a lot of decorating but the trees look so beautiful and hold so many precious memories. Starting this year on November 1. Trees will go up, other decor will still be Fall/Thanksgiving until after the turkey platter goes in the dishwasher and then that will come down and the rest of Christmas will go up.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
My extended family celebrates Thanksgiving on the Sunday before so I usually start hauling boxes up on Wednesday night while prepping a smaller meal and then spread it out over Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday. I have gotten better about packing decorations to make the process a bit more organized but I tend to move things around from year to year. If my larger celebration gets cancelled this year, I may bump the process up to bringing boxes up on the Friday before and start decorating on Saturday and Sunday.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I have gotten better about packing decorations to make the process a bit more organized
Last year, I packed ornaments by tree, hopefully it will make decorating this year a little easier.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We're in a new house this year, so decorating will be totally different than what it usually is. At this point, I'm just hoping I'll be finished unpacking boxes! :D

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My stuff is packed by tree/ room. So much easier here. Is nice when my husband is helping to bring the totes down he knows exactly what room to put them in. I’ll start my trees the week before thanksgiving. That way my back is happy. They will be finished by thanksgiving so we can enjoy them thanksgiving night. That weekend all of fall will come down and I’ll finish decorating the rest of the house. Outside lights are done any nice day in November. Will be a little different decorating without my boys. I can do what I want and don’t have to worry about Myron eating things.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving, but with everything going on this year i'm going to want to decorate sooner. I actually think we decorated earlier last year by a week or so because DD and I just couldn't stand it. We threatened to get the trees down ourselves if DH didn't do it for us and we actually did get the totes, which led to him getting us the trees from the rafters of the garage. ;) This year my plan will be for early November I think, although we'll have to wait until later to get our real tree, but i'm only doing two trees this year instead of 2 so that will be my bargaining chip of a compromise. haha

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
My stuff is packed by tree/ room. So much easier here. Is nice when my husband is helping to bring the totes down he knows exactly what room to put them in. I’ll start my trees the week before thanksgiving. That way my back is happy. They will be finished by thanksgiving so we can enjoy them thanksgiving night. That weekend all of fall will come down and I’ll finish decorating the rest of the house. Outside lights are done any nice day in November. Will be a little different decorating without my boys. I can do what I want and don’t have to worry about Myron eating things.

I hope to do it that way going forward, in the past everything has been stored in the basement and I focused on keeping them all a manageable weight, but I am currently adding a small bump out and attaching the garage and there will be a new large-ish closet. Do you use plastic storage totes or boxes, or something else?

Reactions: girlsinmo

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I hope to do it that way going forward, in the past everything has been stored in the basement and I focused on keeping them all a manageable weight, but I am currently adding a small bump out and attaching the garage and there will be a new large-ish closet. Do you use plastic storage totes or boxes, or something else?

I use plastic totes that are all the same size (66 quarts). I did have several sizes but one size stacks neatly in the closet. I think we got them at Lowe’s. They are big enough to hold things but not so big that they are hard for me to move around. I did use a couple of big ones at one time but they are hard to move and it was difficult to keep things organized.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
I use plastic totes that are all the same size (66 quarts). I did have several sizes but one size stacks neatly in the closet. I think we got them at Lowe’s. They are big enough to hold things but not so big that they are hard for me to move around. I did use a couple of big ones at one time but they are hard to move and it was difficult to keep things organized.

Thank you for the description of the totes. I made the mistake of buying long ones that fit on the shelving units I have in the basement and they are so cumbersome. I may know what I want for Christmas, a Lowe's Gift Card!

Reactions: girlsinmo

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
I usually take down Thanksgiving on Saturday and start decorating Christmas Sunday. I like to start outside before it gets cold, the tree comes next and then room by room till it's done. Oh I'm not going to like it without my girls coming home :(

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
We usually decorate in November some time. Altho there are some things that stay out all year round. Like a few ornaments, a set of bell lights around our front porch and our lighted "Believe" wreath. The pic below isn't the greatest but under Believe it says "in the magic of Christmas."

We usually only do 1 tree as our house is small. Occasionally we'll set up a personal size tree in another room

Attachments

• 20190816_100140(1).jpg
    20190816_100140(1).jpg
    995.5 KB · Views: 5