When will Christmas Magic start for you?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was at the Mall the other day and the dollar store had a few rolls of Christmas paper in the store. Yesterday I went to the local grocery store and there were a few Christmas chocolates and cakes in the aisles. As much as I love Christmas even I thought this was a little too early, and did not excite me at all.

When will the Christmas magic start for me. Probably towards the end of October, when the days are getting warmer, daylight savings has started, and most of my heavy spring cleaning is done. Then I am ready.

When will the magic really start for you?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
After Halloween is finished, then Christmas can start.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
After Thanksgiving

I was at Hobby Lobby today and thoroughly enjoyed a stroll down the aisles of "Christmas Enchantment," but I don't really swing into full Christmas Magic mode until the weekend after Thanksgiving when all the Black Friday sales are going on. The hustle, bustle, and atmosphere excites me! Gosh, I'm getting excited just thinking about it! lol

I hate how Thanksgiving seems to get skipped, though, and it's a very important holiday to me to be thankful for the blessings God has placed into my life and all the ways He blesses me everyday, not to mention the mercy and grace He's shown me for a lot of really rotten decisions I have and do make. I want my kids to realize it's important to celebrate it, too. I love all the fall decorations and colors. Actually, my living and dining room are in fall colors.

We usually pick our tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving - just tag it - and go back for it the 1st or 2nd weekend of December. I do all the other decorating in those two weeks leading up, so it doesn't overwhelm me, plus with it being live, I don't want it to dry out too soon. I like to leave it up until after the 1st week of January and take it down before we have to go back to school.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Okay, playing Christmas music is kinda weird right now. I mean, some people are still dealing with summer heat and such..and really don't wanna hear it..LOL

Craft stores and big box stores, selling things in advance I get. Cakes and food items..to early!

I will be prepping for Christmas now, but as far as focusing on Christmas, definitely November 1st. Hallmark movies will start and I'll be watching weekly and finishing my shopping and such hopefully. I will not really listen to music till right before Thanksgiving though. well, I always listen to Christmas music, but not full time listening till mid November.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I came back yesterday to lurk after a long absence and found myself replying to threads. Here I am again!

I have trouble getting DH to put up the outside lights on Thanksgiving weekend, even when Sunday is the first day of Advent. Since we are empty-nesters and both DDs live 3 hours (by airplane, not including drive to airport, getting there early, etc.) away, I don't do as much decorating if they're not coming home for Christmas. It's hard to get too excited about Christmas if they aren't coming home, so I'm not sure when the "magic" will start for me. If they decide to come home this year (waiting for DD#2 to make her plans), I'm sure it will start early. Alternately, we will probably go visit DD#1 for Christmas, and a lot of the "magic" may pass me by.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
For me The Christmas magic starts right after Labor day and slowly builds up. I enjoy seeing all the Christmas related items in the stores ... It gets me excited however we do not decorate for Christmas until Thanksgiving Weekend. We decorate for Fall & Halloween and once Halloween is over the Halloween decorations get packed up and out come the Thanksgiving decorations. We will however listen to Christmas music regularly starting in Nov and will watch Christmas shows/movies all Nov and Dec.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I am like a little kid and for me it's during Christmas in July!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I love Halloween and Thanksgiving and decorate for both... we have a Hallmark countdown to Christmas ornament that can start on Oct 1, so DD and I will get that out..I sort of have a Christmas "hum" going on all year, but really get cranked up the beginning of November..

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
After November 11, Remembrance Day. Not a celebratory holiday, but a day of reflection.

This year we have Nov. 15 picked to put up our lights - hopefully before too much snow and ice arrive!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Well, I'm a little odd.....I don't think the magic ever really stops. Of course, most of you on the forums probably agree with that to an extent...we're all a little Christmas crazy!

As for when I really jump into the full Christmas swing of things with the carols playing and the decorations up, I agree with HouseElf. We live in a military community where it's not uncommon to see Remembrance Day decorations...nothing tacky...often a white cross with a poppy and a white light shining on it, or a banner saying "Lest we Forget." I remember as a kid my mother would get angry when she saw Christmas decorations up before we'd observed Remembrance Day.

Usually DH goes to work with the house looking normal and comes home to everything decorated and the music playing.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
always have the magic bc we all love christmas. but week before thsnksgiving when i put my tree up. we have family coming in that wont be here for christmas. thats why we put the tree up early

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
After Nov. 11. We have Rememberance Day and I feel it's important to have a day for those who fought, died, or served for our country. Being born and raised in the military it should have it's own day before bringing out stuff for Christmas. But...I start getting the Christmas spirit when it starts to snow...which it did yesterday and will be doing so today. :D

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I want to get one of those countdown ornaments I can put in my room or something, just as a personal reminder. Might put that on my wish list or buy one after thanksgiving. Last year they did have a couple left over after the holidays on sale.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Today! November 12.....official start of Christmas season for us!

Of course, I've been drinking Eggnog since October 10, when they brought it in for Thanksgiving :)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Christmas in our home officially begins the first weekend in December. Although this year it will be a day or so earlier. The tree is going up the weekend of 29/30 Nov. Our Elf (Walter Wendle Elf) will officially arrive then too. It is a pretty full blown Christmas overload that happens over the weekend. Tree up, decorations out, carols playing; lights up, village out. Christmas plates, glasses, etc,,,, DS is excited as this year he is in charge of the village set up. He has helped the last few years but this year is doing it himself- we have already had several discussions about how he would like it done this year. He even wrote me a list of the extra item he would like.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Christmas for me starts the day after Thanksgiving (USA). I hit the stores on Black Friday super early in the morning, then it's back home to put up the decorations. I spend the entire weekend decorating. December 1st my Christmas lights go on and Christmas cards go out in the mail.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Okay guys, I'm fighting temptation over here. For the past several days I've been telling myself to wait til after Thanksgiving to put up my Christmas deocrations. I had finally got things under control and the thought went away...til this evening.

First of all, I'm about to leave work, when my truck wouldn't start. It is so cold, that the cold killed my battery. I had to get a hotshot from a coworker (I hope it starts in the morning). Then the drive on the beltway was the absolute worse. Took me nearly an hour to get home. By this time, I had such a headache and just could not wait to get in the house. As I turn down the little road to head towards my complex, I see a house completely lit up with Christmas lights. My frown quickly turned into a smile and I was like, "awwww." Then driving through my complex, I see one of the balconies is all aglow. Now I'm like, "Darn it! I want to put up my decorations!"

I don't know y'all, I think some of my stuff may be going up this weekend. lol

Last edited: