Who does Operatin Christmas Child boxes?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Do any of you do this? On a homeschool forum I am on a lot of the ladies do this, some being really invovled and have provided a lot of good information for box ideas etc...

I will gather together the info and pass it on if any of you participate in this charity.

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
We do! For the last few years we've sent all kinds of wacky toys and candy, plus art supplies and musical instruments, toiletries and dress-up stuff.

Apparently you can enclose a card with your address and you might get a letter back? I've never done this, but we're considering it if we do the shoeboxes again this year.

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
I have done this for the last three years with my three children and they love it.

They do a box each for a child a similar age to themselves, i have two girls and a boy. They help me to pack their box and feel a great pride when they deliver it to Church.

It's a great way of focusing on others and generates a great deal of discussion about what others may or may not receive for Christmas, how fortunate they are etc

I involve them as best as i can with buying the items or finding things from home but my 6 year old son finds it hard to part with anything!

Pamelajane.

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
I've done this for several years. It's especially fun since DS's are grown and no grandbabies yet, somehow buying Christmas for children makes it complete. They have a pretty good website with suggestions. I usually catch the after holiday sales all year and get toys and things, and always include toothbrush/toothpaste, soap/washcloth. (suggested).

On our recent trip to Asheville we visited "The Cove", Billy Grahams training center. They had lots of pictures of them delivering the boxes, it was very inspiring!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We have done this for several years as well. My kids really look forward to it. We usually end up buying so much stuff that they each fill 2 boxes. This is such a great way of getting kids involved in helping others.

:party: Melanie

elcollins

Retire Member
Jun 28, 2008
We do as well. We also work at our regional drop off center and last year my 13 yo was able to go and help at the processing center. We have done this for 5 or 6 years now and through us, it has become a big activity for our homeschool group. For us, it's not Christmas without Operation Christmas Child!! (and yes, I already have boxes and lots of thing to go in them in my gift closet :grin: )

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Ok- I will get the info together and get it posted soon!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
At work we save our soda cans and take them in and put the money up for Christmas to help in some way. The Angel Tree (we do one in our lobby), a family that needs help or etc.. This could be something to do with some of it. My kids are 23 and 20 and for the last few years they try to do something for kids at the holidays.

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
We've done them several years now, as part of our church's program with them. Generally, it's my husband who fills our boxes, and he gets so excited.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
As many have said, we to have done these for years too. I usually have each of my children fill one for a similar sex/age child. They are a great way to get the kids into the true holiday spirit as they normally are done in early to mid November.

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
What a wonderful charity I would love more info....

Thanks for sharing. :frosty:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We do every year, I have three boys so they do a box each for a boy or girl (their choice). :grin:

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Ok here is the info I promised!

I am by no means an expert. This is just information I have gathered from others who have filled shoe boxes, been involved at the packing centers etc… The info is taken from various sources including a homeschool forum I frequent and some e-zine articles.
If you have any other concrete info PLEASE share it!

There are 2 shoebox distribution organizations:
The largest is Operation Christmas Child ( http://www.samaritanspurse.org ) They are a religious based organization and distribute to many countries all over the world.
There is also http://www.operationshoebox.org This organization distributes in Honduras only I believe. I just found out about this one.

The information below pertains to the Operation Christmas Child (OCC).
REGARDING BOXES
*Don’t forget you may purchase boxes directly from (OCC).
*Stores like Payless Shoes will save boxes (large children's and adult only) even in large quantities churches OCC projects.
*Plastic shoeboxes are a gift in themselves BUT “Just this week the upper Midwest states had a teleconference to get a little more info out on how to make collection week run smoothly, and there were a few things mentioned about the actual boxes themselves:
The plastic shoeboxes are great, and really are a gift in themselves. (They can be used to carry water; they keep bugs out, etc.) But not all plastic shoeboxes are "created equal". Some are very brittle and crack easily in transit. Sterlite was one brand mentioned that does this. Rubbermaid is excellent because it has some 'give' to it.
One last thing the regional director mentioned is to really encourage the standard size shoeboxes. Quoting here, "Kids are kids the world around, and they notice when one child gets the equivalent of a foot locker and they get something much smaller. We know people have great big hearts and they want to give great big boxes, but keep in mind that each box touches about 10 people. The more boxes, the more people reached for Christ."
*About the size of the shoebox- BOOT BOX VS SHOE BOX VS SMALL SHOE BOX Etc “I have to address your concern. Last year our family had the privilege of traveling for 14 hours to the nearest Canadian OCC warehouse where we spent a full day checking through prepared boxes. We had a tour guide show us the facilities and answer any questions. I was VERY impressed with the philosophy that Samaritan's Purse has. They pray over all the boxes as they are shipped out asking God to send them to exactly the right child. They said the stories that have come back are amazing. We were then told we needed to repack the boxes exactly as they had been packed and to believe that the contents were prepared by God for a specific child. (We added things to the boxes that were not full.) But they addressed the fact that some boxes are huge & full of great stuff. Their response, "We don't know if there may be a large family back at this child's home that may not have been able to come to collect their boxes or some other reason why this child was to receive a large box." We never know what needs may be being met through each box! We were told though, that for our own boxes we would be packing in the future to keep it close to the allowed sizes. They can fit a predetermined # into each crate and this makes it a lot easier for them to fill crates.”
REGARDING THE LEAST DONATED CATEGORY OF BOXES
*The least donated category of shoeboxes is BOY Age 10-14 (with girl age 10-14 not much better) –one thing that is a great idea for this age box is tools, a deflated, flattened and folded soccer ball and pump, socks, solar calculator
*The most donated shoebox category is the youngest girl age.

REGARDING ITEMS TO FILL THE BOXES
Prayer is the first item to pack in each box. Pray for the child who will eventually receive the box you have packed.
*Please read diligently the “unacceptable items list” on the OCC website. At the shipping centers all boxes are gone thru to make sure no unapproved items are in them. If the volunteers find anything they will remove it. Otherwise the integrity of the boxes are left intact. The ministry believes that the contents of each box are chosen for the child who eventually gets it. If a box comes in that is not full the volunteers are allowed to add items (from a stash of donated items) to fill them
*For lists of the most frequently removed items, no-no items and items that are ok but cause confusion as well as item suggestions go to this website http://www.wlbc.org/templates/System/de ... PID=202798
*A note about including toiletry items like soap that have a scent. It is best to get plain unscented soap but even then it needs to be triple bagged in Ziplocs ESPECIALLY if you pack anything edible in the box too. Scented things can “contaminate” edible things making them inedible. It is best to triple bag both the toiletry item and the candy really.
*Don’t forget that these boxes go to children in impoverished areas of the world where they don’t always have even the most basic items like. Also- be careful to buy such cheap toys that they will break after being played with a few times. Also remember that many will not have the ability to purchase batteries for items requiring them. Solar powered things like calculators are a much more long term gift. And another thing it that most of these kids have no way to read instructions for something so be careful about packing games etc... that would require “instruction” on how to even use them.
*Many people who do this every year shop year round and actually make a schedule of which items to purchase in which month so they can spread out the cost and make sure they don’t forget items that are much needed. Some try to get a balanced box meaning some toys, some school items, some hygiene items and some practical items.
Here is one family’s (Shelley in MN) sample year round shopping calendar of things to buy:
“This is what our family has been doing for some years now, and it really works well.
Suggested Shoebox Items:
January:
~Decide: Boy or Girl and age category. (2-4, 5-9, 10-14)
~Pick up a Rubbermaid (or similar) shoebox to keep your items in throughout the year.
~Check out after Christmas sales for a toy, doll, or stuffed animal for each box.

February:
~Washcloth and Hand Towel

March:
~Underpants and/or Undershirts

April:
~A comb and/or brush

May:
~Two toothbrushes along with a toothbrush holder. To allow for more room in the shoebox, take the toothbrushes out of the package and store them in the holder.

June:
~Several pairs of socks which would fit a child in the age category you’ve chosen.

July:
~Something fun yet functional. e.g., a colorful ball cap and a good quality whistle for boys; some pretty hair barrettes or bands for girls.

August:
~Any school supplies on sale such as: crayons, colored pencils, plain pencils, small pencil sharpener, pens, and tablets.

September:
~Several bars of soap, along with a covered soap holder. One bar can be placed in the holder to save space when packing your box. I recommend Ivory brand due to the low perfume content. It is also a good idea to place soap bars in a sandwich bag to keep the scent from “migrating” to any edible contents of the box.

October:
~Hard candy (lemon drops, peppermints, etc.)
~Gum
~A tube or two of toothpaste

November:
~ A $7 check written out to “Samaritan’s Purse” to help cover shipping and handling of the shoeboxes.
~A picture of you/your family along with a letter to the child who will receive your box.
~Anything you’ve forgotten throughout the year!
These suggestions aren't written in stone, and we are always on the lookout for good sales. I tried to roughly schedule purchases with what might be on sale at that time of year, e.g. the post-Christmas toys”

Other suggestions of items:
Hygiene items
toothbrushes- out of packaging
soap- triple bagged
mirrors-unbreakable
combs
brushes

clothing items
sock
caps
scarves
mittens
gloves
underwear
We bought men's Hanes size small undershirts. And, actually, these can be used as a shirt in a warm climate or a 'layer' in cooler climates.
Bandanas

"toy" items
soccer ball
hand pump
small rubber ball
Happy Meal toys
jump ropes
dolls
matchbox cars

School items
Notebooks
crayons