Who is already thinking about what to buy for Xmas this year

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
I have a spread sheet that I keep my budget on and I also make notes in it pertaining to who wants what. Just wondering if anyone else has started to hone in on what you will give this year? Gift cards seem to be the gift of choice for a lot of my family and friends! I buy actual gifts for my three little nieces and one baby nephew. I have really gotten away from giving toys though. They usually get an outfit and a book/cd depending on age. It gets too hard to figure out what to get them that they don't already have. My two kids are preteen and I usually have to wait to see what they want as it gets closer to Christmas. I only spend $250 on each of them and as anyone with older kids knows, that doesn't buy very much. I have to be very choosy and watch for the best sales. I usually have an idea by this time of what I think they will want but I have no clue! They really like money the best and that is not an option for Christmas!!!! Just thought I'd see how everyone else is doing!!! Thanks!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I just told DH that I want to get some shopping done with our tax refund/stimulus rebate. I don't want to use it all (there's not that much of it anyway!) but I'd like to get some big things for the boys taken care of...problem is I'm not sure what yet! I'll be working on it this month, though....

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Yesterday I took advantage of the 2 for $10 dvd bin at Walmart and picked up 2 for Christmas gifts. They have a lot more selection now.
I am also getting my handmade projects prepped and ready to go. I do alot of EMT work during the summer months where I sit for 10-12 hours at a local equestrian park, and I have my handwork projects to work on. Last year I made 1 pair of sox and 3 pair of mittens besides hand embroidery projects. This year I want to complete a bluework seashell tablerunner for stepmom, besides some silk ribbon embroidered sweatshirts for Gd3. My son and his wife dress her like a boy so I thought that some feminine touches on sweatshirts would make for a more girlie look.

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
Yes ( :help: ) I am.

DH thinks I'm nuts. I'm even planning my cookie swap party already. Date is set, guest list made, Menu is determined. Now i have to wait. That's the toughest part. Just call me a nerd.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Someone had asked about presenting gift cards and such, so I started thinking about my newphews and what I was going to buy them this coming year. 3 brothers, all 13 & 14, so I was thinking about a gift card for a family outing..However, they love to open gifts, becuase they get the family thing alot. So I'm torn on what to do. Last year, I tried to split it up and make it as personal as possible, so I'm just TORN...ahhhhhh :slap:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
This year I have a big jump- because my DD is still young and easy and I am doing some fleece blankets for family I am over half done. I grabbed up DD and her friends- nieces and nephews gifts after Christmas sales. I got squishy animal massage pillows for under $5 and other things for DD and the material for the blankets for half off. Yeah!! I know in a few years it won't be this easy so I am taking full advantage!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Duh--I never even thought of using our tax stimulus rebate for Christmas gifts. Wonderful idea! Thanks.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I'm ready! Have bought all the gifts for friends and extended family in the January sales. I have made a gift list for close family, so if I see anything on the list reduced I will buy it. I have to wait until my children write their lists to buy their stuff. But it feels great to be organising everything in a stress free way! Can't wait to enjoy the festivities come December.
:haha:

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I start thinking about next christmas on December 26th every year !! I have already bought all my gifts for our son in law during the clearances (got him some clothes, jacket, two dvd games - eight gifts all together, I just have to get him a big package of tube socks - I get him a big pack of socks every year, he loves that). I already have five toys bought for our little granddaughter, she will be only 2 so it is pretty easy to buy for her since she is not really old enough to make a list, but I will wait till Christmas is closer to see what she becomes attached to. Last christmas it was Barney the week before christmas, and I had to make mad dashes to the toy store to buy a lot of Barney toys. For my daughter I take advantage of the really good sales at LL Bean, have already bought her 4 turtlenecks, a winter coat, shoes from them - all on clearance. Whenevery she mentions something she would like, I write it down in my little notebook. I am off to a really good start for christmas 2008. -- I already have 4 toys put away for christmas 2009 for my granddaughter.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We have and actually I have already bought several gifts. I have my gift list half way figured out. I think we are going to do giftcards for our parents with a personalized gift from the grand kids.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have some gifts brought, money put back and still adding to it, some gift cards I brought to purchase some groceries, and then I have a list of items to make. Also have been trying some new recipes for the trays we make. I also am looking forward to getting to enjoy the month of December more and going to some different things that we always put off because to much else to do!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
... when I see a sale, I buy things.... some things are already bought for next Christmas....

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Okay, I have come up with a great idea! Every year I struggle to find things for my brothers and sister-in-laws. Last year we all decided to remember each family with a "family gift" (i.e.: restaurant gc's, Harry and David, etc) instead of buying everyone individual gifts. I made movie/snack gift baskets! I have 4 brothers, their wives and 10 neices and nephews. To say it has gotten expensive to remember everyone would be an understatement! My neices and nephews are all getting older (12 - 22) and don't need a little gift from me. Heck, my 22 year old neice makes more money than I do! So this year I have decided to make a donation to St. Jude's Childrens hospital in each family's name. They don't show the amount of the donation on the card they send so it can be at your discretion to share that info with each family. I am also going to send a box of chocolates from my hometown chocolate store to each of them. I think this is a win/win for everyone! For my little neices and nephew on my dh's side, I am sending them each a personalized book with their names etc. in it. There is a website called mychildbook.com. The books are darling and they only cost between $15 and $25 depending on what you pick. I am really against buying toys anymore with all the "China" scare plus they get enough from their parents. This gift will be a keepsake for them. I received just such a gift when I was 6 and I still have it today! It is so cute! So I feel like I'm way ahead of the "gift buying" game this year! The best thing is I can do it all over the internet and save my money on gas! WooHoo!!!!!! Just wanted to share. If you get a chance, check at the book site. It is really a neat idea!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I actually started making a gift list today, in honor of Rudolph Day. However, I don't have anything bought yet. I do have a set of goblets that I got on sale at Target but that's about it.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I've been picking things up here and there since the beginning of this year. I have bags of items sitting in a corner in my livingroom waiting to be put into the gift closet. I have stocking stuffers for my nieces and nephews and managed to scratched 3 other people off on my list. My goal is to be finished by the end of November (hopefully sooner).