Who Works On Magic For Your Christmas?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Whose work creating magic helps make your Christmas wonderful?

Sometimes, it is the thought that counts. But when that cheese ball arrives every year as your gift from Aunt Matilda.. and you really, really hate cheese balls..... maybe that particular thing does not add much magic to your celebration.

On the other hand, maybe your cousin is really thoughtful and wonderful, and makes you happy that you have such a loving relative at Christmas.

In your life, who puts a lot of effort into making Christmas magic for you and/or your family? And what do they do that makes it magical?

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I would have to say my sister, she knows I collect swans, and she always finds them through the year, and sends them in our Christmas box..and my DH who has FINALLY stopped buying me perfume, and started giving me ornaments and book gift cards! :package: For making our holiday magical, I would also have to say, since my husband is a teacher, all the middle schoolers-and their parents- who give him presents! He comes home on the last day of school before Christmas break just beaming, with his arms full of mostly modest but thoughtful gifts, and he really appreciates that he was thought of at that most hectic time..not to mention alot of them are homemade goodies--which we ALL appreciate!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The people on this site!!!

I have not found anyone who really makes Holiday Magic in my life. Everyone I know likes getting it but not giving it. lol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My mom! she really works hard for us to have a nice Christmas and she always invites a few people who are alone at Christmas.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I have to agree with you Ahorsesoul. In my family it's definately me with lots of help from my friends here at MHH! My parents are no longer alive and my father-In Law is widowed so it tends to fall to me to provide Christmas magic for us all.

:grouphug:

VeronicaM

Retire Member
Aug 3, 2008
my daughter 3 1/2 really brought the magic back into Christmas for me--before her birth I had lost almost all of my Christmas magic, now it's back and it's multiplied

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
I didn't respond to this before because I was trying to think of someone....like others have said I guess it's me. my husband tries to come up with a good gift or surprise, but he admittedly doesn't have much of an imagination. He also makes a special effort to go along with all my ideas and I drag him to and into all sorts of Christmas things. :haha: Don't get me wrong, I love that my grown DS's make a point to be around and keep our family traditions, it just has fallen on me to make the magic. All seem to appreciate it, even the Aunts, Uncles, & cousins who have come to my house for Christmas since my GM passed away. This is just my second year without my parents, I can recognize now that I got the love for Christmas from my DM....just a little more intense...uh, a lot more intense!

BUT, I LOVE this site and am looking forward to the card exchange this year. The last two years I participated in a swap brought Christmas magic. :grouphug:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Until six years ago, it was my sister. She was just a big kid at heart. We would call each other and say, "This is what I bought for so and so. What do you think?" She died Jan 30, '02. Now, my DD and I do this. I share with her what I have bought for her son or hubby, and others. We plan things to make/bake. Talk about decorations, etc.

Growing up back east, everything was steeped in tradition. I have tried to pass this along to my children. I don't think my sweetie ever had much of a Christmas growing up, so I tend to go overboard on him just a little bit.

But I love to give, and it is one of my greatest pleasures in life. Christmas is supposed to be a joyous time. I try to dwell on the good things. It is difficult at times. But having all of you and my family has helped me. I don't want Satan to rob me of my joy.

:bigsnow:

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
No one really gets as excited as I do or thinks about it year round like I do.
Thank goodness for you here and the folks at MMC!!
Although my dd and my dil enjoy Christmas, they aren't quite as enthusiastic as I am.
<sigh>

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Being with my family makes Christmas magical, but i have to say i love this site and all the wonderful people and ideas. The excitement is contagious and makes me want to bring even more magic to my family and to Christmas. So thanks to all here who participate and make this a wonderful place to be a part of. :ghost:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
When someone tells me how much he/she enjoys a bit of Christmas magic --- that really does it for me! I love it that someone else feels the magic - and lets me know they feel it. Like when somebody tells you with enthusiasm how much they love seeing Christmas lights. Or listening to Christmas music. It really gives me a lift to see someone enjoying the magic.

I also try to spend time really looking at and absorbing the work that someone has done to decorate for Christmas. It can be big or little. It can be a window decorated in a small-town bookstore. Or it can be an entire big expensive department store or mall. And I really go with the purpose of absorbing and looking at the decorations for a long time. I want to feel what other people were reaching for when they were trying to make really special Christmas decorations. This is one reason I try to get a lot of the "work" of Christmas done before December. (Shopping, wrapping, etc.) I will spend a couple of hours at a mall - or a big department store - just waling around and absorbing everything. All the decorations. The music. The Christmas items for sale.

I also LOVE "live" Christmas Nativity scenes. Children really love them. They are really special.

I try not to buy Starbucks lattes during the year. (Only on special times.) That makes them really special at Christmas. I go to Starbucks when I can devote a fair amount of time to sitting down and savoring the latte. Maybe I bring something Christmassy to read. Maybe I just look at the people. It is a real treat.

This year, there are two new Christmas movies coming out in November. They both look pretty good. I am going to go to both of them (not on the same day). If you go before 6:00, it is much cheaper and less crowded.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
This year has been very difficult for me, and a lot of things have happened.
(I don't have a single decoration up yet.)
I'm not sure what's going on, but my Christmas Spirit has been lagging. (Which is why I've tried to come here and read posts.)
I watched AN AMERICAN CHRISTMAS CAROL last night. I think that as I work on my Christmas projects and listen to music and watch more and more movies, I can find the Christmas Spirit I seem to have lost this year.
Friday night I'll have the grandkids over and we are making Christmas ornaments.

Sapsorrow

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2010
my daughter 3 1/2 really brought the magic back into Christmas for me--before her birth I had lost almost all of my Christmas magic, now it's back and it's multiplied

VeronicaM, That's exactly how I feel, and the same age as well. I was tapped out and buying into the "Christmas is just about consumption, and that's bad, so throw out Christmas" mindset before I had our daughters. Then, this year, my eldest began to see Christmas and was so excited, no matter how little the Christmas magic there was, that I fell for it all over again.

My father is also a massive Christmas lover, though not the most insightful gift giver. My husband could do without holidays or birthdays.

Belles

Retire Member
In one word all the magic, love and joy that Christmas brings comes from ~DADDY~.
If I were to even try to explain it, it would loose all meaning in the translation because what he has given me goes beyond words. His love for God and for the celebration of His birth and the love that he gets from making others happy and touching lives is magical in it's self.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My husband always does a good job, but my two best friends know me so well. DH and I have been married for 5 years, I've been friends with them for 20 and 24 years. Ever since I was a wee high schooler. Needless to say, my guy best friend listens very carefully about things I really want, but won't buy for myself. This year he bought me new dishes, a kitchen pan set and some knives. My girl BF makes it so personal. That I love. Last year she bought me a beautiful Irish Charm Bracelet that I LOVE!! This year, she bought me the Michael Jackson Collection set, knowing I would absolutely love it. Just having someone go so far out of their way to find me the perfect gift, makes me feel really special. They always hit it right on the head!

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
I can empathize with the others don't have anyone in their life that makes the season special for them. Everyone depends on me, too.

Sometimes it's out of necessity, but it can be depressing. Because of disablility (DH), illness(DM), chosen incompetence (DMIL) I have shopped for every gift for myself, hubby and children from everyone for the last four years. The only exception is the small ones we exchange with my sister's family. DMIL will go shopping to get the gifts, but will not decide on the simplest thing like choosing between the the blue or green shirt I'm suggesting. That means there is rarely a surprise for me on Christmas, lots of stress and work before.

This year DH tried hard to surprise me even though he's been bed-bound and the one thing he had someone else get was broken when I opened it. And the person who got it for him didn't bother to bring it around for him to have for Christmas. Poor guy!

I do long for someone who would get me a gift that I might truly enjoy because it "fits" me. A surprise would be great for a change. I know I sound focused on me "getting", but really I just want some balance so I get to have some fun instead having to provide it for everyone else. I love coming to MHH because I'm reminded how much you all enjoy the holidays and I want my hubby and kids to ejoy them, too.