Why a turkey at Thanksgiving???????

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HotMama

MHH Member
Oct 31, 2007
As I mentioned before I am from the UK and I would love to host a Traditional Thanksgiving.

I may sound a bit odd here, but why a turkey specifically??? Is there a tradition associated with this bird????? I would love to know!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am from Canada so our traditions are similiar to the US, but different too. We celebrate to give thanks for the the harvest season; a Canadian Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October.

:friendly: It is my belief that the wild turkey is used here for the meal because was/ is a native bird. Living mostly in our hardwood forests with grassy areas.

HTH :grin:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Besides, turkey just tastes so GREAT, and it holds lots more stuffing than, say, a chicken! And easier to buy at a market than venison, which would also be traditional. :friendly:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We have huge flocks of turkeys at our farm. They are so pretty to watch. We also have quail, deer, foxes, rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, even a panther a few years ago. Wolves have been seen in the past, but not recently. It can get really scary down there at night-no electricity means DARK!!!!

Cathymac said:
We have huge flocks of turkeys at our farm. They are so pretty to watch. We also have quail, deer, foxes, rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, even a panther a few years ago. Wolves have been seen in the past, but not recently. It can get really scary down there at night-no electricity means DARK!!!!

It must be lovely during the day to see all those wonderful animals running around. And then again scary at night too :hat: I have never really been on a farm. When I was a little girl my grandpa had made one of those long box cages that held a few bunnies. We used to love going over there to feed them and then eat grandma's pudding or red jello with fruit inside!! I miss those days!!! If only we can turn back the time once in a while to all those happy days wouldn't life be grand!!