Will you be spending more or less than last year?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Well......... This is a complicated question.

Given that MOST Americans are hurting financially....... and that ALL the "basics of living" are MORE expensive this year than last year..... Gas, elecricity, heating, medical care, food.... everything! So... people WILL be spending more.... before they even begin to buy Christmassy things!!!

For "gifts"... what REALLY helps me is... keeping my eyes open all year! One year.... the most popular gifts were 50 cent "whoopie cushions" for the kids. (Being "classy" is not a consideration in our family!!!) Giving the adults... just small "token" gifts... is a great relieft to both giver and recipient! Everyone wants to concentrate on the children... and having a relaxed, comfortable time!

I LOVE our Magical Holiday Home.... because I have such a wonderful time here.... all year!
And.... this year.... I realize that I have REALLY come to love our MHH Family! So.... I feel like I m celebrating WITH them! Sharing our daily lives... and also our Christmas prep..... that really makes my own life richer and happier!
And.... thanks to Gingerbug and to Jeff and to our Mods.... it doesn't cost me money that I can't afford! It is a gift.... from them.... to us! A precious gift!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I really wish I could spend less but I can't because of the ages and wants and needs of my kids. By Christmas they all need new sneakers for example because all their feet grow so much in the three months from school starting and Christmas. Clothes too. Especially my 13yr old son is so picky on clothing only wears certain brand clothing. Last year they came out with our school apprel in Underarmour hoodies and he loves them but at $44.00 a hoodie Christmas and birthday is when he gets a new one.

My nieces and nefhews we spend a certain amount and thats it. We all pitch in and buy my parents something bigger that they want, a couple of years ago it was a safe this year they want a smoker so that's what we are getting them but with 6 of us its usually no more than $50 each.

My parents decided last year that they are buying the kids an outfit and a video game or something electrotic they want for the older ones and for the two little ones they still buy a toy for, and we are going to go to a food pantry and serve food on Christmas as a full family, the kids are great about knowing that giving is better than recieveing but this year they want to show them how todo so.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We are looking to spend less. Because of the great clearance sales we found this year all the nieces and nephew are done and even picked up a few small gifts for our kids already. We have also started on the gift baskets for extended family members. This year I started making homemade jams and canning them and will be trying my hand at homemade apple butter. I will be using some of them in baskets of homemade goodies.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Last year was such a bust, with us moving back to the east coast a week and half before Christmas, I didn't have time to really think about buying gifts, busy packing and switching gears from a midwesterner to an east coaster again. :)

So, I think we will be spending more this year not just money wise but effort to, which is so much more important to me than the money.

~ Farmerswife

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
I will be spending less. I have talking to my girls about only asking for things that they REALLY want and that even some of these things will not be purchased. I want the emphasis to be placed on helping others.

We have been really blessed throughout this time, and I feel that it is important to shar what we can with others. Plus, as my kids get older, it's more about making memories than giving things. We are thinking about taking a trip not far from home and really cutting back on gifts.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't think there will be much difference here. Last year both of the kids got big screen tv's and that was a big deal. This year there will be no big item but they still have everything on their list. As for other family, we do not buy for a lot of others so we should be OK there.

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I am spending less this year too - have eliminated some people from the list (daycare parents - still giving a gift to each daycare child I have)

giftmaker

Retire Member
Oct 20, 2007
West Virginia
I will be spending less this year. I lost my job in july and but got another one in august but really hard this year. Since I waitress before and now I have a desk job. I was saving my change everyday and that what I bought christmas with but since July I haven't save much. Told my girl it going to be a small christmas this year and after the tax time they can get something they really want that is big. Told all family member that we will not be buying for them this year. All of them is okay with that. It is getting hard to buy for adult that have everything or don't need anything.... I may buy for my mom since she is the only grand parent my kids have still alive. But it will be smalll

gingerbreadmama

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
I will also be looking to drastically cut my Christmas spending....mostly in the area of presents. Looking to pull a rabbit out of my hat (again) so if anyone has ideas for easy trendy crafts I can make (skill level beginner-moderate, I can sew but not very well) I'd be very appreciative. I'm thinking something along the lines of the no-sew blanket (made them for all my nieces and nephews one year. Easy, relatively inexpensive, appeals to all ages, etc.). Thanks for any ideas!

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Well, I have finished all my shopping! The final total, which includes, gifts, wrapping supplies, travel/hotel fees and postage, came to approximately $1500 this year. That's a huge difference then last year when the total was closer to $3000. I cut my spending by 50% and it is all paid for! No taking Christmas debt into the new year! Woo Hoo! I can't wait to enjoy the next 2 months of stressless frivolity!!!! :)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Conniemac...that is so totally awesome and I know what you mean about how good it feels not to be taking more debt into the New Year. Almost two years ago we startted CASH ONLY for Christmas and almost everything else. It has been difficult but soo worth it. It really feels like a joy to buy Christmas without having the dread of more debt.

Last Christmas was a cash only one and it was a struggle but I managed it and everyone was happy. We cut back about 25% last year and really watched for bargins etc. This year I plan to cut another 25%. I am fortunate that I have money in my Christmas Club account so it will be easier. Now to GET shopping!

I have already finished stocking stuffers and have bought some gifts too. Just need to finish up. And it's time for my Master grocery shopping list so I can start buying several things a week for holiday baking and meals. :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Conniemac.... we NEED you to do more posting! We ALL would love to be where you are! (Being ready for Christmas.... now!)

Gingerbug.... so true! Using cash only is wonderful. Tragically, though, many many families.... mostly families with growing children.... are putting NECESSARY things on credit cards.... shoes for their children, medicine, eyeglasses.... this horrible financial recession is hurting families with children.... the most!!!!

I am trying to help others.... financially and in other ways. And to enjoy those aspects of our beautiful Christmas season!!! While keeping our own spending modest and meaningful.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm impressed. I do not think I've ever keep a complete record of what I spend for Christmas. I'll do this next year.

I also want to track what I spend for Christmas dinner. I did this one year for Thanksgiving. I figured out I spent $12 per person for the dinner.