Wise Words for the 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mine came to me a few weeks back. My word for 2021 will be IMPROVE.
I need to Improve my relationships, my health, how my home is run and how I spend my time. Not huge changes, just a little room for improvement.
It's June and we are halfway through the year. Wanted to pop in and revisit my word of the year and see how I am tracking. So far I think I am doing pretty well. I have made a few changes particularly around the home. Meal planning and budgeting are my focus at the moment and I am pleased with how that is going. The house for the most part is running well although it does not take long to fall of the cleaning/organising wagon. One busy week and I am behind.

All in all I am happy with things....

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Thanks for the bump of this, Katrina! I went back and read the entire thread. I agree that one busy week throws everything off.

DH's deciding to have his family over made me finish up my re-organizing and final unpacking more quickly than I would have. Honestly, it went a long way in helping me be ore tranquil. Thinking of what all I still had to do and having it hanging over my head caused me to be anxious. My last project is taking things from the bottom of my Hoosier cabinet, china cabinet, side table, and buffet server and reorganizing their contents. At that point, everything in the house will have been gone through.

...but, it's never ending, isn't it? lol!

I feel good about where I am right now.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm doing fine with my word too. I'm working on fulfilling my need for good health and I'm happy with where I am now.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
"resourceful" is my 2021 word and I think I'm doing good with it.

Definition of resourceful : able to meet situations : capable of devising ways and means

I have been devising ways to be more minimal, intentional with relationships, crafty, frugal, creative with meals, and ... helping my son find a healthy path forward with his OCD.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Seems like we are all reaching our goals so far.
I just need a reminder every now and then to keep going.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Seems like we are all reaching our goals so far.
I just need a reminder every now and then to keep going.
I usually struggle a lot more with the words. Reminders are wonderful and to do these kinds of check ins are good. It helps us catch ourselves going off track.

This year feels different for me. I think after dealing with COVID-19 last year, I'm more in tune with taking care of myself better. I've always been a cheerleader for everyone else but not for myself. This year, I'm cheering myself on to do what I want to do for me. It's been very freeing although there are folks who don't care for it. I've been disappointing people for the last year and it doesn't bother me anymore.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Its about now that I start to lose momentum with my word and my goals for the year. Need to pop back and revisit and try to recapture the enthusiasm that I had at the beginning of the year. Now is when I really need to kick it up a notch and keep going so the the end of the year which can become so overwhelming, is as calm and organised as can be.
Need to look at the lessons learned post from earlier in the year and make sure that I am on track.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Since I'm late to the party I'd have to say my word adopted me. PATIENCE..................and boy have I had a long hard lesson in this.
Ellen, you certainly have been tested!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I chose 5 words this year: Align, Embrace, Flourish, Hope, and Reclaim. I feel that i've done a fairly good job of staying true to my words overall. I have embraced the changes (over and over) that have come full force regardless of how I felt about them or the resistance that I received, I have flourished in the changes that have taken place and in our new environment, I am aligning myself (in so many ways) to be successful and with my values and my family so we can become a better unit and work together, I always have hope for the things to come and keep the positivity even when I am riddled with anxiety and doubt, and I am working to reclaim the person I know that I am that has been buried over the years in the shadows and layers of another life while keeping the good parts and ditching the not so good that can be left behind.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Katrina's post for a word for 2022 caused me to come over and see how everyone feels they've done with their word for 2021. I see we haven't visited here since August!

I think so many of us were in simple survival mode for 2020 facing all the uncertainties that came along with it. 2021 felt like a continuation of that at times, especially in the beginning of the year, but we arose and faced it with courage, making adjustments to what this "new normal" looks like, didn't we? We lost loved ones, friends, colleagues, jobs, health...but we helped each other by gently encouraging one another. It's great to have this group of friends we have to help us along with our daily struggles.

So...how have you done?

Looking back, I've done more than I realized for finding my way to having tranquility. It's been a good word, and even though I'll be choosing a new word for 2022, it's a word that I will keep close around the fringes of my mind for sure.

Reactions: luludou and jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think so many of us were in simple survival mode for 2020 facing all the uncertainties that came along with it. 2021 felt like a continuation of that at times, especially in the beginning of the year, but we arose and faced it with courage, making adjustments to what this "new normal" looks like, didn't we? We lost loved ones, friends, colleagues, jobs, health...but we helped each other by gently encouraging one another. It's great to have this group of friends we have to help us along with our daily struggles.
Perfectly written Jane.
I am blessed that in the uncertainty that surrounds us that there is a constant. That constant support for me is all of you here.

Reactions: jampss

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I think I have done pretty well with my word. Every so often, I read it when I post ... and ask myself ... how have I done with it? :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was doing good with my word until Dh moved all of stepmothers boxes and furniture into the house. It was supposed to go into a storage unit. The basement is stuffed full and i still have several boxes scattered around the house.

• Wow
Reactions: jampss

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I was doing good with my word until Dh moved all of stepmothers boxes and furniture into the house. It was supposed to go into a storage unit. The basement is stuffed full and i still have several boxes scattered around the house.
Diedra, you've faced so many health issues in the last 16-18 months, I think you've done marvelously well. I know that after you're healed from everything, you'll go at things with determination. Is there any way that you can get someone to come help? Any thoughts about getting new life coaches? I haven't heard your mentioning of them lately.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Diedra, you've faced so many health issues in the last 16-18 months, I think you've done marvelously well. I know that after you're healed from everything, you'll go at things with determination. Is there any way that you can get someone to come help? Any thoughts about getting new life coaches? I haven't heard your mentioning of them lately.
Lots of thought about getting help but right now people are not interested in working. We have our ears open and word is out. Someone will come along. A previous worker has said they will work some so help is on the way.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Lots of thought about getting help but right now people are not interested in working. We have our ears open and word is out. Someone will come along. A previous worker has said they will work some so help is on the way.
Oh dear. I will pray that someone comes along. My friend is also having a time of it having a reliable consistent person for her 97 year old mom. She has gone through "helpers". :confused:

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have certainly been up against it again this year. I think that my word for next year may have to be adaptability. Seems things change really quickly and I need to be able to change with the circumstances.

Reactions: jampss and luludou

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
We have certainly been up against it again this year. I think that my word for next year may have to be adaptability. Seems things change really quickly and I need to be able to change with the circumstances.
I hear you on that!! Whew!!

I need a word that means I'm not living in fear, pushing through, doing the hard stuff, enjoying life, remembering God is still in charge, Jesus is still on the throne, not to give into anxiety .... Yikes ... One Word?! :eek: I suppose I could find a phrase ...

I searched and found this site .... https://elisabethmcknight.com/word-of-the-year-ideas/

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I hear you on that!! Whew!!

I need a word that means I'm not living in fear, pushing through, doing the hard stuff, enjoying life, remembering God is still in charge, Jesus is still on the throne, not to give into anxiety .... Yikes ... One Word?! :eek: I suppose I could find a phrase ...

I searched and found this site .... https://elisabethmcknight.com/word-of-the-year-ideas/
Enjoy. Enjoy the hard stuff, the things you can not control, that you have things/people that cause anxiety and that you care enough to have some stress. I ask myself “In 25 years what difference will it make if something doesn’t happen or get done exactly like I want”.

• Love
Reactions: jampss and luludou